Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Vegas Hotel – Opinions Needed
  • bigsurfer
    Free Member

My sister is traveling the West coast of America over the next 3 months, We are planning to get her 3 night’s accomodation in Vegas as a birthday present.

The options that are at the top of the list are MGM, Mirage, Treasure Island.

Want something nice with a good bed, nice bathroom etc as they have will have been on campsites living in the back of a conversion van for a while by the time they get their.

Can’t stretch the budget to the likes of the Bellagio / Venetian etc.

Any opinions / personal experiences greatly received. The MGM is offering very good deals but the reviews suggest it is quite dated now and a little tatty and thet it can be very noisy with big groups using it.

boneidle
    Free Member

All Vegas hotels pretty much the same. Just along differnent themes.
    We stayed in the Luxor just to go in the inclinators and for the unusal shape of the place.

beej

I’ve stayed at the Luxor, Aladdin and Monte Carlo. In all honesty, most of the rooms in the mid range places are fairly similar – they don’t want you to stay in the rooms… I don’t like Treasure Island particularly (bit of a family audience), MGM is a bit non descript, Mirage OK but non descript again.

Pyramid room in Luxor is a bit different and much better than the rooms in the two others(but when we booked you could only express a “preference”, there was no guarantee of getting one – we had to complain at reception after they allocated us a tower room to get one). Luxor is at one end of the strip though, so not the greatest position.

Monte Carlo is nice inside, good position, good brew pub too.

Aladdin is also “mleh”, not sure whether they went bust or not.

Caesars always seems promising, but not stayed there. Staying at the Altantic City one next week though!

What about Paris?

Avoid Excalibur, Circus Circus.

grievoustim
    Free Member

i was in Vegas recently with my family and got a room in a not yet sold out timeshare resort called “Tahiti Village”

yes it was a bit naff, but where isn’t in Vegas?

but

it was cheap, the room was huge with a kitchen/ 2 x plasma tvs / steam room etc, all quite newly built – v nice bathroom, lounge area etc

2 pools

not on the strip, but near it with a free shuttle bus

i booked it on Expedia – might be worth a look

neilforrow

Circus Circus

Flash
    Free Member

I liked the Hard Rock, a bit more hip in a rock’n’roll sort of way. The staff seemed to treat you as a person, not just a face passing through.

mcboo
    Free Member

another shout for the Hard Rock……was only in town for 12hrs (stag night) but it was way cooler than I thought it’d be considering it was a hotel in Las Vegas and had the words “Hard Rock” in the title. Great pool, lots of hard-bodied eye candy.

Thats a very cool present by the way. Well done you.

biggulp
    Free Member

If you can stay Sun-Wed the rate really goes down so the Bellagio/Venitian could be in budget. You could also try Hotwire.com which gets you fantastic deals but you don’t know the hotel until you have booked, currently showing 5* Central Strip for $108. You get a pretty good clue as to where the hotel is and I always use hotwire for hotels in the US. Had some great deals in New York and San Francisco using them.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve stayed in LV 5 times on business – Venetian, MGM, Bellagio. MGM was OK but last time was 5 years ago. Venetian last year was getting a bit tatty, but there is a brand new tower. Bellagio is nice.

All the hotels are busy and noisy and all host big groups. Having said that, the big ones are all around 5000 (yes 5k) rooms so designed to handle the numbers. All the rooms are big with good bathrooms compared to Europe so no problem there.

Ceasar’s Palace has had a revamp and a new tower added so try that. Treasure Island is probably as old as the MGM but may have had a bit of a revamp. The Mirage is well off the strip so is a pain to get anywhere – taxi is the only option.

At any price point, they will be pretty much of a muchness, and will be amazing for people who have been staying in a camper. Pick any of the main ones on the strip between Treasure Island and the MGM and you will be fine.

Watch out for 3 nights though. Vegas is very expensive for food drink, taxis, entertainment etc so will hoover up their budget. Don’t know what you would do for 3 days in Vegas on a budget a

flatback
    Free Member

DEF treasure island, i got married in it, but it is a great hotel you have to have a strip hotel as who wants to ride around in taxis and some hotels are geting dated, i really rate treasure

uplink
    Free Member

I stayed at MGM weekend before last [13/14th] & TBH it was as good as it was 10 years ago we got a cracking deal
    $120 for a King room which included all day buffets for us both, so $80 of freebies
    No complaints at all about the room or the service

Plenty of offers here
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/travel-deals/704925/?start=2300

EDIT: there’s a load of building work going on on the strip between New York New York & the Bellagio – didn’t hear any noise from it but it was a weekend

al-london
    Free Member

I have stayed in Bellagio (Full suite )and Luxor, but with credit crunch pices have plummeted you can get get some mega deals on Bellagio at the moment. I am looking at going again in a couple of weeks and is only £100 more for bellagio for 4 nights over Luxor on last minute.com.

Venitian is ok but smells odd, dont really like Caesers cant explain why just dont.

Alex

Tinc
    Free Member

Luxor Pyramid room all the way. Stayed there twice now & seen inside sveral of the others on room floors via other travellers.

The vast majority of the hotels I’ve seen put you in a corridoor when you leave the room. Frankly you could be anywhere. Luxor is the only hotel that tells you you are in Vegas as soon as you leave the room. You leave your room & walk onto a balcony that looks into the largest atrium on the planet. (You can park 13 jumbo jets in there!) It’s not the prettiest or best equipped & it’s at the far end of the strip, but as soon as you leave the room you’re in Vegas baby!

markgraylish
    Free Member

I stayed at the Wynn on business a couple of months ago. That was very nice but I have no idea of the cost.
    Also stayed at the Monte Carlo – which was good but they were re-building their lobby area so access was a pain in the arse.

I’d make sure you choose somewhere in the central strip area – anywhere off the main drag (or in the downtown area)means a great deal of walking/taxis.

amosridl
    Free Member

Mandalay Bay was nice, superb rooms at the top of the strip but the built in monorail takes you through luxor etc to the MGM. Ceasers was best for atmosphere I felt and general lark.

Great beach/pool at the Mandaly Bay.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

The Mirage is in a good location on the strip, big hotel with very nice rooms. However, as good as the hotel is we still found the ‘food’ that yanks dish up as being expensive and rather lacking… All hotels in Vegas offer very good accomodation, For 3 nights and if your sister is youngish then Treasure Island, the Pirate show at night is well worth watching – The Mirage tends to get a lot of conventions, this can be a bind when using the pool area cos the loud mouth yanks lurve to big it up into their mobiles.
    I would stay again at the Mirage and use T/I facilities as well as they are co-joined anyway but for the bets entertainment Fremont Street is the place to be at night ( buses can be used to get there )
    Next to the Mirage is Caesers Palace with its undergraound Forum.. a girls shopping heaven with Gucci etc down there.. also check out the garage at the back of the exotic car shop near the top end of the forum… dribble…

showerman
    Free Member

circus circus is a good quality hotel based on price but a little behind the big players now could well be the next one to be knocked down stay there nearly every trip i do for the first few nights then move over the road to the Venetian to end my stay. aladdin is now the planet hollywood hotel

chopperT
    Free Member

I can reccomend the RV “park” at the Circus Circus, for that true white trash Vegas atmosphere it can’t be beat.
    3 nights in Vegas for a birthday present? Don’t you like her much? I wouldn’t sentence any loved one to more than 24hrs in the place.

Sorry, as you may have guessed I couldn’t stand it, modern wonder of the world though it is.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Can’t recommend any hotels, always opted for the budget motels opposite the MGM, but highly recommend the Carnival World Buffet at the Rio

amosridl
    Free Member

“I wouldn’t sentence any loved one to more than 24hrs in the place.”

We went for a 2 week honeymoon. Was physically shaking after about 7 nights with all the sugar, salt and booze and lack of clocks/windows/clue of what’s going on.

Good times.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Vegas Hotel – Opinions Needed’ is closed to new replies.