Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Vans Gravel Shoes?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Just wondered if anyone is using the Vans Gravel Shoes?
    Seem to get decent reviews but was looking for some real life feedback…

I think they are supposed to be ‘splashproof’-how does that work out in reality?
    Also whats the sizing like? Small/Big, Narrow/wide etc?

Cheers

honourablegeorge

Interested in this too. My Five Tens are great, but they take ages to dry, really need a second pair of shoes.

jwt
    Free Member

Dirt had a pair to test a while back, still no update.
    Prefer Vans to the other options and have used Feet First to resole them in the past, but ‘out of the box sticky’ would be good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    yunki
    Free Member

deffo slashproof..

the fit is narrow and small more like a traditional oldschool Vans shoe if you get my drift.. the material used to construct the upper doesn’t appear to have much stretch in it either (so far).

I much prefer the wider footbeds on their more modern skate shoes so have been a bit disappointed with mine

prezet
    Free Member

Waiting for CRC to get some in stock so I can order a pair…

Alternatively, might be worth looking at the Teva’s.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Yeah looked at Tevas too but prefer the look of the Vans. Both Tevas and Gravels seem quite hard to get at the minute….

prezet
    Free Member

A pair of these arrived last night from CRC – have to say I’m really impressed. Very comfy, not as stupidly grippy as 5.10’s from first impression. They have a bit of a small tongue – but not a big problem from what I can tell.

Looking forward to taking them for a spin.

justhuckit

Had the gravels for a few months now. Narrower, smaller footprint than 5 10 impacts. Really flexy sole in comparison. Grip is ok but not in 5 10 league.
    Horses for courses but I find myself using the 5 10s (big, stiff sole & lots of protection) and only resort to the gravels if the 5 10s are soaked. I’m more of a dher but I also prefer the 5 10s for xc. Gravels were good for playing about on jumps tho.

prezet
    Free Member

For me, I think the less grip is a good thing… like you say ‘horses for courses’. I find it quite tricky to reposition my feet with 5.10’s and using nano pedals.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah man.. I agree

Having used skate shoes for the last 20 years I even found the vans gravel sole a bit too sticky for my liking, it took a while to get used to.. and I can’t think of one advantage to having an uber stiff sole on a flat pedal..

After a couple of months use my conclusion is that if the price was realistic, the footbed was wider and the upper had more give I could fall in love with the Gravel shoe..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Vans Gravel Shoes?’ is closed to new replies.