Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Using Gumtree
  • SaxonRider

I have never used it before, but just sold a car with approximately 90 seconds after posting my first ad. 😯

WTF
    Free Member

Tried selling motorbike on Gumtree and got nothing but scam emails.
    Same M/O on every one.
    Haven`t used since.

deadkenny
    Free Member

“Just” ?

Don’t count your chickens until you have the actual money in the bank. Not in paypal or wherever, where the deposit can be reversed, actually in the bank, or cash in your hand (and legit notes).

Careful where you do the handover. Hopefully you haven’t been asked to make a deal in some remote car park, or the classic service station car park (money handed over, someone whacks you over the head, money grabbed and car gone racing down the motorway).

etc.

Though Gumtree is more for buying stolen goods really.

😉

lightman
    Free Member

Yep, its great when it all goes to plan.
    You still get a lot of time wasters, but that’s life.

I use it all the time for selling stuff.

SaxonRider

I absolutely HATE using classifieds and such like, but tried Gumtree at the urging of my family. When I say ’90 seconds’, I mean I literally put the ad up, and my mobile went as I stood up from the table.

The buyer was in the area, wanted the car for his son, came by, looked it all over, saw it was as described, paid cash, and left.

I am not sure I’ll use it again, but jeez, that was fast.

bearnecessities

Waits for tomorrow’s thread:

“Anyone ever been accused of ram-raiding John Lewis?”

SaxonRider

Waits for tomorrow’s thread:

“Anyone ever been accused of ram-raiding John Lewis?”

Perhaps, but at least it will be a response to something current.

cbike
    Free Member

Yep you set an alert for what you are after and it tells you when someone posts. It’s like the for sale ads in the local paper but better. The same common sense rules to avoid being scammed have applied since the invention of advertising.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Did they give you a cheque or cash?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sold my Van on ebay when I move to Oz in about that time. It was priced to sell the guy obviously had an alert on for that. When I explained I was moving and that’s why it was offered cheap he followed up with do you have any speedboats/caravans your looking to sell 😉
    Some genuine people exist but make sure the V5 is done and posted and all the double quick!

trail_rat
    Free Member

i posted a bike for sale on gumtree….

just like pink bike imo but worse….

Same MO text or email

“Whats your address mate”

no chit chat no questions no have you still got it , can i come look , just whats your address….

so i give them an address in the village – never here back. You know i expect an “ill be round at XYZ” i am not a shop.

TBH give me a time and ill still meet you in the village either with the stuff or drive back to my house for a bulky item.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Using Gumtree’ is closed to new replies.