Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Up to date opinion on LED downlighters required.
  • rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

We’re just knocking the kitchen about.

It will look like this:

Am thinking in terms of a rail with spots on the far side of the beam, which will light the old lean-to + downlighters in the main room + a pendant light over the breakfast bar + possibly some other task lights (in the cooker hood, but also possibly over some work surfaces.

Would like to go low energy if possible, but our only experience of LED lights so far was retro-fit GU10 replacements from B&Q that were hideous (too dim and too blue).

Anyone got any up to date info or other ideas.

Internet search has so far come up with Megaman as possibly the best source of lamps, but their downlighters all look like CFL type , and anyway I don’t like the look of them.

I also came across this company that seems to have some beautiful lights, but no stockists (and no reply to my e-mail inquiry as yet) – which will give you a steer on my tastes:

Luminair

sam_underhill

I noticed that TLC finally have a new range of “decent” LED GU10 compatible lamps when their last catalogue popped through the door.

They look slightly better than the ones I’ve got (and I’m very happy with).

wwaswas

It will look like this:

roof being added in phase 2? 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Who’s the chick?

benslow
    Free Member

^^ 🙂

sam_underhill

looks like Sarah Beanie from here 😉

Liftman

looks like Sarah Beanie from here

Nah, that chick aint pregggers 😉

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Thanks for all your help. I guess many of you still live in caves?

Murray

I’ve got some of ]these. The amount and spread of light is far better than others I’ve tried.

Who is Sarah Beanie?

rickmeister

Just bought 16 GU 10 bulbs, 60 watt equivalent 4 watt actual, running on mains voltage. They are the smd led type which come on immediately and each has 64 tiny little light squares. I got them from ebay, about £3 each delivered from China. They arrived in under 10 days well packed.

We have a kitchen a bit like yours but with 4m ceilings and changing 12 halogens was a real pain. These should last 50,000 hours. Its a bit of an experiment but worth the risk for the potential saving.

When they are switched on there is no difference on the energy meter where 12 x 50w showed a definite increase. The light is a warm white… have some older led’s and they are indeed an odd blue colour and pretty dim.

Like the idea of putting a pedant on the beam too. Should help if your using a laptop and STW on the breakfast bar….

HTH

richmars

Only one bottle of wine? Must have been a heavy session last night.

patentlywill
    Free Member

At home I installed some Haler LEDs which are static and some Orluna LEDs swivellable ones. I’ve been impressed by both. I think someone on here works/used to work for Halers. You need to decide whether to go for cool or warm white – having seen both I’d go for warm, and also dimmable or not.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

rickmeister – Do you have a link? Our converted cellar probably has about 25 GU10’s in total !

You sayu your ceiling is 4m high, ours is pretty much on the legal minimum ( I think its about 2m ) would these have a broad enough beam pattern for a 2m ceiling?

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Dunc,

My understanding is that the SMD type lights have an incredibly wide beam pattern (not a beam at all really) – so they would be the ones to go with for your cellar.

I’d actually prefer a narrower beam to give a bit of texture to the room rather than completely flood it with light so I’m thinking of the ones that use just 1 (or 2 or 3) bigger LEDs.

What I also want is some fire checked fittings that will still take whatever bulbs I decide on. As I mentioned with Megaman, their bulbs look good (on paper) but I’m not sure that they will fit in standard fittings.

Flaperon

I’m using this stuff in my kitchen – both under cabinets and inside. Looks great.

http://www.led-lightbulbs.co.uk/pp/LED_Ribbon_Tapes/CR_Series/Copper_Ribbon_Strip%2C_8mm%2C_12Vdc_White_-_1_metre.html

RustyMac

rickmeister
    +1 for the link to the GU10 LED bulbs, I just bought some from B&Q and have a horrible feeling they were £20 for 3. The ones i got were only 2W and i am feeling they are a little dim for there application.

I am in the process of replacing the other 10 or so halogen bulbs in the flat as they die so having a stock of a few would be good.

Back to the OP I am new to the LED for Halogen bulb thing and my current feeling is you will need more bulbs for the same area -this may be because i have bought lower wattage bulbs than i expected. The light from the ones i have is a slightly cooler white light than the halogen yellow/white but i am more than willing to put up with it for the cost saving. Currently i have a row of 3 bulbs in combination with a standatd pendant fitting and it is working well in my living room.

Stoner
    Free Member

SMDs are great in, say, a utility room or workshop (Which is where I use them) as they cast a very bright, white light widely.

They’re a bit intense for living spaces though IMO.

stumpy01

Stoner – Member
    SMDs are great in, say, a utility room or workshop (Which is where I use them) as they cast a very bright, white light widely.

They’re a bit intense for living spaces though IMO.

Erm…..what is SMD? Are they the lights that have many LEDs clustered together?
    When you say, they are a bit intense for living spaces……do you mean like a lounge? We’ve got halogens in the kitchen & bathroom. Would they be a bit intense for that kind of application??

Stoner
    Free Member

SMD are surface mounted diodes.

Old skool Leds are those ones that are in the nipple of plastic, then you have the CREE type ones in a bead of plastic like a honey-dew drop, and finally SMDs which are just completely flat yellow squares with no lensing on them.

They just burst out light. Painful to look at from any direction.

stumpy01

Stoner – Member
    SMD are surface mounted diodes.

Old skool Leds are those ones that are in the nipple of plastic, then you have the CREE type ones in a bead of plastic like a honey-dew drop, and finally SMDs which are just completely flat yellow squares with no lensing on them.

They just burst out light. Painful to look at from any direction.

Good explanation – thanks! Does sound a bit full-on!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yep SMD’s will not be any good then really for my application, where the light patern does add an asthetic effect to the rooms.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Up to date opinion on LED downlighters required.’ is closed to new replies.