Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Unused/forgotten bike spares – what to do?????
  • Woody
    Free Member

While looking for adaptors to convert a set of wheels back to q/r (put in a safe place and still not found)I realised that I have accumulated a quite ridiculous amount of ‘bits’, quite a few I’d actually forgotten I had 😳

Some are quite nice eg, Real brake levers, Ringle qr’s, etc. but most fit into the category of ‘too good to throw away but hardly worth enough individually to go through the hassle of selling/packing/posting’ eg. bars, seatclamps, stems worth a couple of quid to a tenner.

I’m too far from Bristol for the bike jumble and I don’t know of anywhere in the N.E.

Any suggestions? Job lot on here or Ebay?

stuey
    Free Member

real / ringle – the retrobike ‘ers will be wet with excitement
    Stick a photo up and wait for the $$$ 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Retrobike

stuey
    Free Member

Oh I’ll give you £20 for the lot 😉

TiRed

Take it to a traditional bike shop. Warlands in Oxford gave me £80 towards new stuff when I had my garage clearout. There were original some XT cantis in there, mind.

Woody
    Free Member

The levers are now earmarked for my ’95 Kona Lava Dome 🙂

Good shout re Retrobike as I’ve also just found a Ringle bottle cage, 2 Pace steerers, two XTR 8 speed r/mechs and a Proshift! Problem is I want to keep all the really nice stuff now I’ve found it!

Can’t see the LBS’s being very interested somehow.

bish

Sounds like a perfect excuse to buy a cheap second hand frame and build up a bling pub bike to me.

Woody
    Free Member

Done that already bish.

In fact I’ve done it so many times it’s the main reason I’ve got all these spares.

What happens is this –

pub bike gets built and any bits missing are purchased
    new better frame crops in the classifieds/ebay which is too good to miss
    ‘pub’ frame gets sold and parts are transferred to new frame and any bits wrong size are bought
    old parts are put aside
    pub frame gets built…………..
    and the cycle (pardon the pun) starts all over again

It’s an affliction 😉

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.recyke-y-bike.org/

or organise a NE bike jumble?

mboy
    Free Member

Woody, as anybody who knows me well enough will testify, I’ve had this problem for years. Often I can’t bloody find things i know I have for months either (especially when it could be in one of 3 different houses as was the case).

There is only one solution… Get rid! Honestly… Selling off the old stuff you don’t use any more (and binning the worthless crap) makes you feel sooooo much better! I just wish I’d discovered this years ago as by God I’ve accrued a tonne of rubbish over the years, and only some of it bike related.

If you apply the philosophy of “if it’s not fitted to a bike currently, or isn’t going to be inside the next few weeks, it gets sold”. I’ve made about £800 in the last few weeks this way, and reckon I’ve got at least another £500 to go yet… N+1 is the ideal number of bikes to own when you’ve got all the space, time and money in the world, otherwise sadly it’s N-1.

Woody
    Free Member

Jonba

Thanks for the link. Looks like the ideal place for a garage clear-out and earn some karma points at the same time. Cheers

Edit

Often I can’t bloody find things i know I have for months either

Mark, that made me proper LOL – I’ve finally fitted the 90mm stem a year after getting the forks 😆

jackthedog
    Free Member

Problem with selling off old kit like that is putting an appropriate value on it. I’d never expect top whack, but I also don’t want to let things go disgustingly cheap.

Like most folk, I’ve got all sorts. 1 inch steerer Judys, XT V Brakes, 24″ DMR jump wheels, saint cranks, I’ve even got a time warp, mint, barely used Vitus 797 road bike! All needs to be re-homed desperately but it’s hardly as if there’s a going rate for any of it and I hate ebay, so it just stays in the corner of the garage gathering dust cos I don’t even know where to start.

mboy
    Free Member

Mark, that made me proper LOL

I thought it might! 😉

Seriously, don’t turn out like I did, sitting on a mountain of junk, somewhere, possibly worth something possibly not. I’m trimming down my material possessions quite drastically, and feeling soooooo much better for it!

Woody
    Free Member

JTD

What size is the Vitus as I’m looking for a winter ‘old school’ training bike?

jackthedog
    Free Member

What size is the Vitus as I’m looking for a winter ‘old school’ training bike?

Just nipped out to have a look and still haven’t got a clue. There’s no size sticker that I can see and I didn’t take a tape measure out with me. The seat clamp and top tube are more or less the same height as the 19″ Spesh Hardrock stood next to it… I’m 5’8″ and it fits me.

I can get it out and measure it properly (fnar) if you want but it’s perhaps a bit nice to be used as a winter hack. I’d be surprised if it’s covered 100 miles from new.

Woody
    Free Member

A bit too small I think as I’m 6’1″ and you’re right, probably waaaay too nice for a winter hack but it’s winter hack money I’m looking to spend 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Unused/forgotten bike spares – what to do?????’ is closed to new replies.