Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Unplugged suggestions
  • teasel
    Free Member

As in songs to translate into an accoustic performance on a piano.

No YouTube links as it just gets a bit mental on page loading for me. Stuff that is reasonably well known to the wider audience; nothing obscure and niche. For example (and no giggling at the back) I play a version of The One That I Want, slowed right down and lyrically altered – goes down a treat when it gets recognised. Having said ‘no niche’, I do a version of Dreamer by Uh Uh Her, but that became a little more popular due to various TV programmes and folks seem to like it.

Currently re-working Shape Of My Heart, Wide Open Space and Brittle Heart at present, but anything can be worked-in.

You get the idea – your songs, if you please…

Northwind

Frank Turner does a really nice stripped-down Dancing Queen.

I don’t think there’s any recorded versions of Jimbob from Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine’s cover of That’s What I Go To School For by Busted… But it was nothing short of magnificent 😆 Think it was largely transposed into minor chords, lyriks barely more than a spoken mutter of despair… Genius.

avdave2

Bruce Springsteen’s Thunder Road. Only problem being it’s going to be hard to get anywhere even close to his own version on piano.

Garry_Lager

Sweet Child of Mine by GnR works well acoustically, would prob suit the piano.

Luna did a good cover but think it was guitar based.

bazzer
    Free Member

David Guetta Titanium

jekkyl

lenny kravitz – are you gonna go my way, lenny did it slowed down on his unplugged I think, sounded great.

edlong
    Free Member

Check out Tori Amos’ piano / vox version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. It isn’t nearly as awful as it sounds like it should be.

I’ve heard an acoustic (guitar) slowed down version of Killing in the Name but I can’t remember who by. Think they changed the melody a fair bit. Just remembered as I was writing – Biffy Clyro.

I always thought Jane’s Addiction’s “Summertime Rolls” would be good for the acoustic piano and vocals treatment.

CountZero

Check out Tori Amos’ piano / vox version of Smells Like Teen Spirit. It isn’t nearly as awful as it sounds like it should be.

It is indeed most excellent. Except to the rabid Nirvana fans… 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

Kraftwerk’s ‘The Model’. Dead straightforward to play on a keyboarded instrument too.

teasel
    Free Member

Some good suggestions there – thanks. Keep ’em coming because I’ve hit a weird patch of being unable to come-up with anything worthwhile.

it was largely transposed into minor chords

I like that idea – it opens-up all manner of weird arrangements. For some reason that version of My Humps by Alanis Morissette springs to mind as an example.

p.s. Just gonna have a listen to Titanium as I know it’s recentish and I’m familiar with the chorus so, verse-depending, I may stick it in the set…

Northwind

Chilly Gonzales does some brilliant major/minor chord stuff…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZxkKsds7w&list=UU94fmFtL0xeDt-Z1Bv3LueA&index=2[/video]

Wee bit offtopic but you could do the same trick on lots of upbeat songs and make them very, well, jewish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Unplugged suggestions’ is closed to new replies.