Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • United Utilities clamping down on MTB's again… Entwistle now.
  • lowey
    simonfbarnes
    Free Member

arse

wwaswas

We tend to find those who break the rules may do so in all innocence

bogtrotters excepted…

Kit
    Free Member

Discuss

Move to Scotland 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Not really appropriate.

rOcKeTdOg

they actively seek out the steepest, most adrenaline-charged routes

anyone got a GPS of this, sounds awesome!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

“Riding your bike on footpaths is the same as riding on a pavement in a built-up area — it is technically illegal.”

wrong both ways. Riding a rural footpath is a tort and not illegal. Riding on the pavement is actually illegal, not just technically.

belgianbob

It's trespass, which isn't really a crime. A bit like swearing in public and possibly less fun than doing the missus up the wrong'un.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they actively seek out the steepest

but most reservoirs are unimaginatively level…

Gilles

My mother in law , 75, as walking on a footpath, was complaining last time of mountain bikers using the same footpath. She was very annoyed as she was expecting to walk safely without worrying about cyclists. Then I realised I will be annoyed just like her if I see somebody walking on those built trails in mountain bike centres, as I'm not expected any walkers on them. But I know, we are all perfects here, slowing down all the time when near a walker, and it's just those inconsiderate bikers who give a bad name to us.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps UU, could fix the leak in the road near me, been leaking for 3 weeks plus now, and the call centre staff are about as useful as the ones who used to work at a certain bank, perhaps they transfered.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

So is sodomising your wife or girlfriend, apparently.

Only in some states of one of our former colon-ies so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Cougar

“There are plenty of bridleways around local reservoirs, which means you can still have a great day out on your bike, without impairing the enjoyment of walkers."

“There are plenty of footpaths around local reservoirs, which means you can still have a great day out on foot, without impairing the enjoyment of cyclists."

Fixed that for them.

Del

This is the biggest problem our countryside rangers face.

sounds like a very easy job.

Cougar

To be fair, I sort of agree in so far as if roles were reversed I wouldn't want cyclists screaming past me when I was walking along a designated footpath.

That said, if they're not going to signpost it then they've only got themselves to blame. It's all a bit silly really.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Not much to dicuss really – the law is an ass…

cynic-al
    Free Member

"illegal" is a pretty meaningless word, avoided by anyone with legal knowledge.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Outside of an urban area, the whole legitimacy issue of riding bikes on a footpath (one where there is no road next to it and which crosses rural terrain) is a nonsense.

The argument made in that article is that it is for the saftey or walkers. Well if that's the case why are we allowed to ride on bridleways on which you are as likely to meet walkers as you are on footpaths? Come to think of it, if it rule is there to protect walkers, how come horses are allowed on bridleways as well?

The whole thing is just ancient bylaw rubbish that happens to serve the interests of the walkers and rule bound ninnies. As someone has justly pointed out, they don't have this distinction in Scotland.

Perhaps it's about time we reclaimed all rights of way?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I didn't see a single walker to upset whilst out on my tour of UU footpaths in the Bolton area last evening.
    Just other bikers enjoying themselves. 😆

And the only walker who commented on Wed night's outing didn't seem to appreciate that he wasn't supposed to be there any more than I was, as it wasn't even a footpath.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

They are probably getting lots of complaints from dog walkers who use it as a canine toilet area

It won't be helped by the odd rider who expresses his view of people who don't get out of the way

One of the rangers span me a line about mtbers killing an OAP there once, total lie.

I would have thought the doggers in the car park would be of more concern

Cougar

Thing with doggers is, they don't normally come hurtling past you at speed unless they're really showing off.

antigee

they don't normally come hurtling past you at speed unless they're really showing off.

ss's get booed and that can upset the badgers

dazh

I've always wondered whether a mass trespass on bikes around say, Kinder Downfall, would be a good idea. It would certainly point out the bare-faced hypocrisy of it all.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

This is the biggest problem; our countryside ranger's face.

Is he that ugly? Poor man.

antigee

i used to negotiate access issues for climbers and though many climbers don't belong to a club or directly to the bmc (british mountaineering council) enough did to be able to argue that the body represented the majority and could put pressure on any minorities that didn't always except compromises – in my mind no one body effectively represents mtb

people like UU can't even appeal to anyone to help in reducing the antisocial activities of what i'm sure will be a minority – really UU need help in drawing up some user guidelines like agreeing a few specific problem paths to be avoided in exchange for freedom everywhere else i believe they are supposed to encourage active leisure use of their resources and the illegal stuff is tosh – the landowner can allow whatever they want (subject planning law) right of way law is as ever being used to define access rather than as intended to preserve access – some sort of local user group is needed maybe with some CTC help

geetee1972
    Free Member

Antigee – sorry is that some sort of dig at me?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

This always strikes me as a potential focal point.
    Winter Hill Trespass
    See the nice little stone aside the FOOTPATH which happens to be a well used mountainbike track. It's here.

I'll be passing it on my Sunday ride and it kind of begs someone to challenge my being there. 👿

antigee

geetee1972 – Member
    Antigee – sorry is that some sort of dig at me?

no – i'd broadly agree with what you said

(unless you are a single speed dogger that is)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Antigee – sorry, I meant your login name 😆

Gee + Antigee = ❗

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I get far more stick for riding non rights-of-way from other MTBers than any other category of person!

antigee

geetee1972 – Member
    Antigee – sorry, I meant your login name

no i'm not one of the "usual suspects" that create new logins at will 🙄

antigee = "anti gravity" not anti anyone

geetee1972
    Free Member

You know i was joking right?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Ironically, a while back, I met an ROW officer on an MTB on Darwen Moor… riding the footpath and yet simulateously whincing at the mention of Boggies. 😕

dazh

I get far more stick for riding non rights-of-way from other MTBers than any other category of person!

Quite sad really. Other special interest groups (walkers, climbers, surfers etc) get organised to achieve progress for their respective sports/activities, whereas we cyclists seem to spend most of our time sniping at each other about riding on footpaths, jumping red lights etc. Either that or highlighting the differences (eg mtbers v roadies) between us.

If you go over to http://www.ukclimbing.com you don't see the alpinists slagging off the boulderers or the trad climbers having a go at the sport climbers.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I get far more stick for riding non rights-of-way from other MTBers"

Not true Simon. Few here mind you riding FPs, cos most of us do it too. What concerned me is that you seemed insensitive to potential conflict with other users.

I don't want another forum row with you. Actually I'd like to chat over a pint. How about coming on the Mendip ride next weekend (Sun 15th)? I'll be including a couple of FPs 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not true Simon. Few here mind you riding FPs

you could have fooled me :o)

Actually I'd like to chat over a pint

I hate beer ? Sorry, I'm booked up 🙂

What concerned me is that you seemed insensitive to potential conflict with other users.

mainly because I believe that to be a made up bogey-story!

Ironically, a while back, I met an ROW officer on an MTB on Darwen Moor… riding the footpath and yet simulateously whincing at the mention of Boggies.

we have our own tame one :o)

jonb
    Free Member

To be honest I fall into the group of people that know it's a footpath but ride it anyway. I grew up round that way but haven't ridden there in a few years.

A mass tresspass would be a bad idea. If you are going to ride on things where people may disapprove I'd be descrete and if anybody complains just dismiss it politely. IIRC you cannot be arrested for trespass as it's a civil not criminal offence and the only thing they can do is claim for damages. Not sure about endangering others though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I hate beer ?"

Did I say beer? (no)

Pity you can't come. Another time.

TeaBoyPaul

Question is, are these footpaths round Entwistle Res actually worth riding?? They don't seem to go or get you anywhere! I normally pass it buy without a second glance on the Witton Weavers Way (which is also marked as a footpath?!!) on route to Holcombe tower.

meehaja
    Free Member

"This is the biggest problem our countryside rangers face."

really? Can't be too bad then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘United Utilities clamping down on MTB's again… Entwistle now.’ is closed to new replies.