Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Tyres – first it was Conti vert Pro, what is it now?
  • IHN

Dull, yes, but I need some and Ive not been on here for ages so what is the current STW tyre of choice?

sofatester
    Free Member

Tea anyone?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Some 8″ wide fatniche tyre that’s perfect for riding on a beach. Or snow. Oh, and for showing how different you are.

😉

Earl Grey please, ST. None of the new rubbish Twining’s have come up with though, the original blend only. Thin slice of lemon. Thanks.

momo

sofatester – Member

Tea anyone?

Yes please, milk and two sugars. Now where did I put those digestives?

IHN

Some 8″ wide fatniche tyre that’s perfect for riding on a beach. Or snow. Oh, and for showing how different you are

But I’m not different, I’m the archetypical ‘456 with Revs, BB7s, Thompson post, Thompson stem, Charge Spoon saddle, Hope/Mavic wheels’ riding, late thirties, IT professional (currently ‘between positions’) STW inhabiter

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ll start it all off by suggesting Maxxis Ignitors…

lunge

Maxxis ADvantage? Ok at most things, cheapish, not quite niche enough for most.

uplink
    Free Member

Depends really, if you are are the ‘in front of the curve’ type [strike]tractor[/strike] fat tyres are indeed this year’s thing

but………. as you are still on Verts I’m guessing that’s not you?
    in which case High Rollers are the very hoops for you

I’d play safe though and stay on Verts 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Tea, to your requirements is served gentlemen.

Feel free to help yourself to my biscuits (quiet in the cheap seats!) as well.

DezB
    Free Member

I see a lot of post about Nobby Nics. Never tried em meself.

IHN

Oh no, I’m not on Verts, I’m on Panaracer Rampages. I was on Fire XCs before that and liked them but wanted something a bit bigger (but not quite to the size of the current tractor tyre fetish) so went for the Rampages. To be honest, I’ve not been that impressed with them

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Nibbles on sofatester’s ginger nuts…..*

fasthaggis

Buy anything you fancy ,then alter your riding style to suit 🙂

AlexSimon

All the people who were on verticals in our group, seem to now be on advantages (or at least one advantage and one other Maxxis tyre)

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m still on verts although I’ve moved to the black chilli ones which are even better.
    However I fear change and dislike the big logos on maxxis tyres.

sofatester
    Free Member

Nibbles on sofatester’s ginger nuts

You may be an officer CFH but you most certainly are not a gentleman!

ChrisL

In the past while I have managed to get along fine with Kenda Nevegals, Maxxis Ignitors and Specialized Eskar 2s.

Wiksey
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Vert up front and a Vapor out back for a few years now and like the combo. I’ve been looking at an Advantage for the rear but not sure about steering duties?

honourablegeorge

dislike the big logos on maxxis tyres

Glad it’s not just me. I hate the yellow logo and the “High Roller” font and….God, I’m a tart.

alpin
    Free Member

rubber queens, either 2.2 or 2.4 in black chilli are good. very grippy, but not draggy and they don’t wear as fast as Maxxis tacky compounds. my only gripe would be the sidewall is a bit weaker than some…. only a prob if you ride very rocky terrain.

otherwise Maxxis High Roller front with Advantage on the rear.

timmys

Rubber Queens innit

rickmeister

Nobby Nic’s here…

Just out of interest how many Conti Vert Pro riders who have been out in the wet had hospital treatment on the same day… ?

grum
    Free Member

Bontrager Big Earl Wet here for mostly Lake District riding.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m about to jump on the Advantage bandwagon. Too wet for the Rampages now, put them away until next summer.
    Tried Hi-rollers and strongly disliked them.

wbss
    Free Member

Conti Verticals = winners choice. Why ride anything else?

twotonpredator

for the money….the verts every time.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Because then you can lean round corners without fear of death.

verts have never been a ‘Go to’ tyre, other than go to casualty.

alpin
    Free Member

because they break away too easily/quickly when cornering hard and don’t offer much grip when climbing.

very drifty IMO… not much bite to them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I had some conti edge (black chillis) that did that to me, and a mate also has had the same experience – a coincidence?

beanieripper
    Free Member

i reakon you lot cant ride, im not running verts now but did for years and railed the sh1t out of em all round the uk and abroad, never been to casualty either from a bike ride…btw high roller felt very similar to me, now running race king/x king combo..

Bez

Drifty is fine in my book, much prefer a drifty tyre to one that suddenly for a from bags of grip to zero grip. Always found Verts fine except at low pressure, when they were super wallowy. If they made them with more rigid sidewalls I’d be a customer for life.

busydog
    Free Member

I used to ride Conti’s but continually had problems with them losing grip/washing out. Have been on Kenda Nevagal for the past couple of years and really like them–reliable, sturdy, good climbing and bite well in the turns.
    I don’t know how well they might do there in the UK with you probably getting more rain in a month than we see in a year, but here in the dry, desert climate (mostly hardpack, loose/decomposed granite/sand or just plain hard, pointy rocks) they are ace.

tomaso
    Free Member

Does it not depend a little bit upon where you live and ride? I’m on dual ply high rollers for Lakeland duty, but I wouldn’t want them if I was in say South Downs, Cannock or Wyre Forest etc.

Horses for courses and all that.

moonboy
    Free Member

Oh no.

I used to ride conti vert pros.

And now.

FS – Nobby Nics 2.25
    HT (hard core, natch) – Advantage 2.1

And I have thompson seat post. And pro II hubs. And a second hand Chris King headset.

And I’m in my 30s.

Fark. Does that make me a STW-w*nker?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Tyres – first it was Conti vert Pro, what is it now?’ is closed to new replies.