Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Turbo trainer – what else do i need?
  • theotherjonv

Due to less time available for proper rides and a desire to do something a bit more structured, i’m contemplating getting a Turbo.

What else would i need – apart from a suitable Sufferfest DVD. I’d plan to use my 29er hardtail, but it so happens i have a spare 26er wheel, so rather than have to get another 29″ wheel (and slick/turbo tyre), or face the faff of changing tyres every time I wanted to use it, is there any reason why i couldn’t slot in a 26″ wheel shod in a suitable tyre?

Do i also need something to raise the front wheel or would the 96er like set up fix that for me?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Do i also need something to raise the front wheel or would the 96er like set up fix that for me?”

Not sure every turbo/bike setup is different, but just grab a book off the shelf to put under the front wheel if needs be.

You also need a big fan to blow air on to you, you will not be able to do a proper workout without.

the-muffin-man

If you are serious about your training you need a heart rate monitor too, or its hard to accurately gauge your effort.

flange
    Free Member

You also need a big fan to blow air on to you, you will not be able to do a proper workout without.

Not sure about that – I like to just sweat it out but then I’m a bit odd.

If you want to do proper structured training than an HR will be necessary, although RPE can be effective. If you want to spend proper money, a way of measuring power is the ultimate, but not cheap

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Something to stop sweat dropping on your frame, Salty sweat chews through frames

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Sweat-deck, or a towel, across the top tube is a good idea, stops all that nice corrossive sweat dripping over the bike/floor.

Always used a Yellow Pages or similar for a wheel stand – just keep ripping pages out until it’s just the right height 😉

theotherjonv

Got a HRM on my Garmin – will be interesting to measure HR vs distance travelled though.

And a towel, and a fan.

PaulD
    Free Member

A fan or real outdoor ventilation is essential.

I used mine in the garage on wet nights…worst case scenario for sweating. Seems like I had to swim to the side when I got off.

Good advice about the corrosive effect of sweat, not just on the frame (OK if carbon) but the drivetrain, cables, bars, grips and saddle.

Retired and sold it on ebay (scrapped the Team Banana bike as it was cracked and more vintage than retro).

PaulD

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

A spare will to live.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Turbo trainer – what else do i need?’ is closed to new replies.