Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tubeless tyre worm things
  • honourablegeorge

What are they actally called?

Every tubeless repair kit I google is just patches, and the lbs don’t have the worm thingies either

jonnym92

Not sure on buying them separately but the Weldtite tubeless repair kit should have them included.

simondbarnes

Most people seem to call them anchovies.

honourablegeorge

I finally figured it out

Weldtite do an “Inside” kid (Patches) and an “Outside” kit (worms)

Evans have the worms.

https://www.evanscycles.com/weldtite-tubeless-patch-kit-00103371

simondbarnes

That’s the kit I use

chrishc777
    Free Member

Tyre turds or dog turds, it’s a get you home thing though, not a permanent fix. Pull it out and put a normal inner tube patch on it when you get home.

I use the Sahmurai sword, fits inside your bars and works the same as the normal tool

simondbarnes

it’s a get you home thing though, not a permanent fix

Really? Nobody told me. I’ve had one in my tyre for months.

Dogsby

They last for planets!

RobHilton
    Free Member

it’s a get you home thing though, not a permanent fix

Bollox.

OP, you can get a lifetime supply for very little 🙂

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nkw=30+x+Tubeless+Tire+Tyre+Puncture+Repair+Strips+Plugs+Car+Bike+Truck&_id=121399886417&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

honourablegeorge

Lifetime supply ordered 🙂

honourablegeorge

Lifetime supply ordered 🙂

RicB

Some of the car ones can be too thick for mtb use. I used 8 on an Alps holiday last year (not just my bike!) and every single one held up. I rode with one in for months afterwards. They’re bloody brilliant. I emailed Weldtite when I ran out and they sent me another pack for free- great service

I’ve always called them tubeless poos

creamegg
    Free Member

Nonsense they last as long as the tyre does

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I had a Weldtite one that lasted for a whole High Roller II – put in in the first week, still there when the tread was gone. Amazing little fishies. Best £5 bike bit I’ve ever bought!

makkag
    Free Member

Excuse the ignorance how do these work , I’ve a tubeless minion with a pinch flat tear to tyre wall patched it as a spare with normal tube kit . These better ?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Really? Nobody told me. I’ve had one in my tyre for months.

Aye, i’ve had one in for a year including three races 🙂

RobHilton
    Free Member

Excuse the ignorance how do these work , I’ve a tubeless minion with a pinch flat tear to tyre wall patched it as a spare with normal tube kit . These better ?

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday-Three-Ways-to-Save-A-Leaky-Tubeless-Tire-2012.html

They’re better for holes rather than slits, but it depends on the length of the slit.

pipiom
    Free Member

Get you home fix?…once in they’ll outlast the tyre. Sidewalls are a bit trickier but not impossible. I’ve put two together in a few times on Fatty sidewalls: worked a treat.

mildbore

Out on the trail they are faster to fit than swopping a tube, and will last for the life of a tyre

stormtrooper
    Free Member

Thanks for that link @Rob_Hilton 8)

krixmeister

Anyone know where to get the Sahmurai Swords in the UK? Tredz is showing as out of stock, can’t find any other stockists.

Wally

One of these saved my ride the BHF south downs epic. Big hole sealed up nicely.
    The whoosh whoosh of high velocity latex spraying up my back was a new sensation however…

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve used one and it lasted 2 days riding, hole wasn’t that big either. Quite possible I’m doing it wrong though!

Ream out hole, stick worm inserter in, remove, job done right? should it just go in like a ‘v’ or come out again in the middle like a ‘w’?

simondbarnes

should it just go in like a ‘v’ or come out again in the middle like a ‘w’?

V
    The weldtite kit comes with vulcanising solution which I apply to the anchovy before insertion and then use the blade to cut the ends off after insertion.

chrishc777
    Free Member

ah, I didn’t get a vulcanising jobbie, thought the sealant was supposed to do that. I assume it’s just like normal patch glue?

simondbarnes

I assume it’s just like normal patch glue?

Yup

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers 😀

luket

While failures are obviously possible I think those who’ve had these not last have been very unlucky. I’ve been through 2 or 3 packs. Must be 20+ repairs. Probably foolishly using lighter tyres a few years ago. No failures over time although I’ve tried my luck on larger holes which they haven’t filled. And had holes near the bead I didn’t even try. I always use some rubber solution. I’m convinced they’re a much quicker repair than tubes as well.

Gut feel they’re no lore likely to fail than a patch. These are held in pretty tight rather than just relying on adhesive.

I bought eBay packs of plugs to refill the weldtite kit. The smallest ones.

rascal
    Free Member

On the whole though these Weldtite kits are def worth having?
    Running tubeless for a while now without a puncture – spare tube as backup but these kits sound great…should I buy?

chrishc777
    Free Member

Mine went on for 2 days in Morzine with no glue, and that seems to be the worse failure so I’m keeping mine! It’s literally a 30 second job to shove one in without glue which is also good

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Tubeless tyre worm things’ is closed to new replies.