Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Triumph Explorer, Honda CrossTourer or keep the VFR1200….
  • the_lecht_rocks

Fallen for the Triumph, but love Hondas brilliant warranty and service that I receive…
    Local triumph dealer is shocking….
    My VFR is only 2, but way less comfy over longer distances than either the triumph or cross tourer and they both offer masses of pannier capacity compared to my VFR…
    Help !!!

redthunder
    Free Member

Keep the VFR 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

Red, why……….?

anagallis_arvensis

tell you waht buy both loan them to me for a while and I’ll decide.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Try the Multistrada…

nickhart
    Free Member

a bit ‘american’ (well it’s done by one) but this guy seems to like his triumph.
    it looks fab and if i could afford one i would, buying british and all that too. as it is though i’m looking at it’s little brother (a friend has one and it looks brill), a bmw800gs and an older 1150gs (i like the engineering!(pre charwen)) seeing the honda cross whatever at the nec last year left me really cold like it was hewn from plastic on an idesignstuff tablet whatchemacallit! probably very good but i like metal bits.
    as for the multistrada it did all sorts of mischief to the family jewels but then that may just be me! looks nice though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Andy, not biased are you..? Ohh noooooo! 😉

All I can say is that you can get ONE HELL of a used bike for the new prices of those bikes. Or more than one, actually!

footflaps

I went from a VFR750 to an R1100GS, the VFR was much nicer for long miles – was really unimpressed by the GS, it also developed rust everywhere after only one winter whereas the VFR was spotless after many.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

BMWs don’t have the reputation or, it seems, the quality they once did. Higher recall rate than Ducati in recent years…..

footflaps

Certainly no where near as well built as Hondas.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Or Triumphs.

br
    Free Member

but love Hondas brilliant warranty and service that I receive…

Warranties only matter when it goes wrong – so can we assume its gone wrong (more than once)…

The 3-cylinder Triumphs are ace as road bikes, I’ve had two (Tiger 1050 and then a Sprint GT). Commuted 100 miles per day every day last year.

I’d avoid Ducati’s if you are looking at putting miles on, based on having had a Monster and that the Salesman wouldn’t sell me one as he knew me and how I used a bike (100 miles per day in all weathers).

Not sure where you are but On Yer Triumph at Aston Clinton give a real good service and are very keen on price.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

I would go for the triumph. Their build quality is only beaten by Honda and Yam. Dealers are also good.

VFR is a great bike, but variety is the spice of life, why not have a change? Second what has been said about Ducati. A GS is worth considering but I don’t rate BMW quality as highly as the others, and you will look like all the other long way way round wannabes. That said their resale value is fantastic, although likely to be true of the Triumph for a while.

the_lecht_rocks

Never mentioned the Ducati. Not in the running. It’s either the triumph most likely or the Honda………

the_lecht_rocks

Although, what’s pillion comfort like on a new multistrada………??

the_lecht_rocks

Nah, ignore the Ducati blip…….!

dogbert
    Free Member

3 very different bikes really. Triumph is more hardcore, the Hondas are basically the same bike with different seating positions.

What one gives you the horn more?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ducatis. You either want one or you don’t. Personally, I do, so I have! It’s the only time when we’ve bought the same make twice, in fact.

But

I wouldn’t use one everyday either. I wouldn’t want to spoil it.
    As a commuter bike I’d have, and do have, a scooter. Whatever commute you have there’s a scooter for it and there’s nothing better

But to me you’ve got to WANT a bike. Desire it. Even love it. And there’s not a Jap bike that does that for me. None of them. 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

As a commuter bike I’d have, and do have, a scooter. Whatever commute you have there’s a scooter for it and there’s nothing better

you big girl…….. Seriously though that would mean having a bike and a scooter, seems like a waste of money t me.

br
    Free Member

Whatever commute you have there’s a scooter for it and there’s nothing better

😆

AndyRT
    Free Member

Multi has done 15k now and still feels awesome. No rust either. So much more fun than most too. Mid range is awesome, and most comfy seat I’ve ever been on. Apparently pillion is good too. Can’t beat a twin!

the_lecht_rocks

i love my VFR’s V4 though. It runs through an alternative silenced / unsilenced Akrapovic and we only use it for touring the odd weekend and our European touring holiday each September, hence the interest in the Triumph……

We want something that will crunch miles, but provide smiles in the twisties, and the demo of the Triumph was massively impressive to be honest……………

the_lecht_rocks

although a Melboy seat could possibly give our VFR a bit more comfort………….

the_lecht_rocks

dogbert – that’s not the cross touree, thats the cross runner ! ? !

nickhart
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you can specify a heated seat on the triumph………

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Fek me those Hondas are gopping ugly things. :shudders:
    Well, the pics have sorted on thing out anyway: Gotta get the Trumpet!

you big girl…….. Seriously though that would mean having a bike and a scooter, seems like a waste of money t me.

Girl? I’ll race ya from Kingson to Dagenham on it. Prepare to loooooose. 😀

We’ve always had 2 bikes, normally one each, now we have 2 that we share.
    Vespa GT 200. £60 fully comp insurance, £35 tax, current average 74.4mpg. £930 to buy.
    Ducati ST3s. £140 fully comp, £70-ish tax, currently 44.9 mpg (90% ridden 2 up + luggage) £5000 to buy.

See my first comment about purchase prices… 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

i don’t mind the looks of the Honda but do think the Triumph trumps it aesthetically……

again, i was seriously impressed with the Triumph when I had a demo last week and took it up into the mountains and B-Roads up here….Lovely suspension, great damping and confident handling.

jumping back on the VFR and it felt like a Fireblade in comparison !

The VFR however is incredibly fast in comparison of course…….. 👿

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The VFR however is incredibly fast in comparison of course……..

That’s just so we can’t see what it looks like. 😉

Gunz
    Free Member

Honda have managed to take motorbikes and make them look like consumer durables, that Cross Runner/Tourer looks like my kettle.

br
    Free Member

Not sure if mpg is an issue for you, but my Sprint GT averaged 54mpg on my (fast) commute, so I’d hope the 1200 was equally as good.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not sure if mpg is an issue for you, but my Sprint GT averaged 54mpg on my (fast) commute, so I’d hope the 1200 was equally as good.

Genuine interest, where did you get that MPG figure from? 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

my VFR offers around 40MPG , spirited riding.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Does about 38mpg with full Termi system. Great noise and sooooo much midrange stomp!

You have to try one….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyZ64Ef-yaY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

the_lecht_rocks

andy – nah – it’s chain driven and italian with mega electronics.

normally a recipe for disater……

br
    Free Member

Genuine interest, where did you get that MPG figure from?

PP – that’s off the bikes’ computer, but when I used the mileage covered vs fuel used over the year (records kept as I ran it as my company bike) it comes to 56mpg

Either way its the best big bike mpg I’ve had with my ‘commuters’:
    ZX9R – 40mpg
    Fazer 1000 – 45mpg
    Tiger 1050 – 50mpg

And I’m not going any slower 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – that’s off the bikes’ computer, but when I used the mileage covered vs fuel used over the year (records kept as I ran it as my company bike) it comes to 56mpg

Fair enough. That’s pretty impressive. Triumph triples are normally good on fuel. I could get high 40s out of my 955i Speed Triple, but the ST3s we have now just shades that on average. I don’t trust fuel computers though. They are never accurate.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

andy – nah – it’s chain driven and italian with mega electronics.

normally a recipe for disater……

Shows how little you know about modern Ducatis, which have improved over the last 5-10 years at a staggering rate. 1199 Panigale has 15,000 mile service intervals….. What’s the Honda?

Our 3 Dukes have been the most reliable bikes we’ve had.

flange
    Free Member

Our 3 Dukes have been the most reliable bikes we’ve had.

Which is the total opposite of my experience…

I’d have always said go for the Honda, but that Trumpet looks lovely…..

mrjmt
    Free Member

Have you considered the new super tenere?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I found the big traillie style bikes incredibly uncomfortable – too upright and bars too wide.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Triumph Explorer, Honda CrossTourer or keep the VFR1200….’ is closed to new replies.