• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by will.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • trip to Coed-y-Brenin for the first time
  • rp16v
    Free Member

going for a weekend trip but tbh iv never riden anything outside of bristol so unsure on what to expect also going to be riding on a singlespeed so will i die or just about make it?

sweepy
    Free Member

ive been there once, rode the mbr trail and it was great. id have been buggered without gears tho, i remember a longish climb up a fireroad where I needed the full complement. Youll be more used to it tho I spose,

Pieface

SS fine if you're fit. Nothing technically challenging.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rp16v
    Free Member

most of the guys that i ride with are in there 40+ on full sussers im 27 on a ss so should be ok we tend to stop and chat allot lol

tyre wise im running maxxis igniter as a all year setup im guessing these would be ok.

sofatester
    Free Member

Ride first, worry about it later.

It's not like your going out into the wilderness or anything 😉

waftycranker87
    Free Member

don't think i'd want to be riding a SS round there..

smell_it
    Free Member

Less fretting, just go and have some fun there 🙂

luked2
    Free Member

I went there last year on an SS, 32:18. You'll be fine.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I rate CyB as one of the best trail centres in the UK (that I've visited). TBH, I'd want gears so I could go as fast as possible on the descents – lots of really nice dead fast flowing stuff where I really like to put the power down!

Tiger6791

You'll be fine, I'm old, fat and unfit and rode the Beast without a problem, I was passed by some whippet on a rigid single speed.

I also did the Dragon's Back at xmas on my own in the snow without a rear brake as I realsied the pads had fallen out, still no issue (would havedone the Beast again was shut for logging)

"Rode the Beast" & "did the Dragon's Back" sound like euphemisms 😐

rp16v
    Free Member

sounds like i should be fine i just uped to a 32:18 from 32:16 for the gloopy clay riden stuff bristol has to offer lol

lunge

It is rocky in places and there are some climbs that will be nasty, but as with most things it can be ridden on a rigid SS.

If you have something with a bit of bounce and some gears i would use it, if not then don't worry at all, you'll be fine.

Mister-P
    Free Member

32:18 is down from 32:16 surely?

The great thing about CyB is you can ride it on pretty much anything you want.

mrmo
    Free Member

going back a few years ago snapped a gear cable on the first climb of the Karrimor, made it round on 36×12 without too many issues. the climbs are long not but that steep.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think it's more hardened and bouldery than the usual rock-chip trails. My mate Martin prefers smoother trails with more whoops and jumps (think Brechfa), whereas I think the bouderyness at CyB makes it different and interesting. The Beast is a very good outing with some challenging sections (for the red grade). Just omit the pointless forest road loop after the forest cafe and head straight for the Addams Family sections.

Guessing you'll pushing up some bits, but that's SSing!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There are a couple of nasty steeps that might have you walking, but, since you're an SSer anyway, conserving and maintaining your momentum will put you in good stead for those.

mrmojo
    Free Member

Few years since I rode at Coed-y-Brenin but I remember the mbr trail has a **** of a fire road climb near the end.

will
    Free Member

you will love it! Probably one of my favourite places to ride. Ss wise, you'll be fine. Did the mbr last month ln my cx bike, with a 42 18 setup, and was great fun.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘trip to Coed-y-Brenin for the first time’ is closed to new replies.