Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Trials bike up the hills question
  • TheDBF
    Free Member

If I take a trials bike up the hills (munros etc) what are the chances of getting my collar felt by the feds or land owners ?

druidh
    Free Member

Pretty high if I'm there as I'll be phoning them.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Are we talking about mtb trials? See no problem there.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Depends on the hill, what time/day you go, what route you take, how considerately you ride and how loud your bike is.

TheDBF
    Free Member

Motorbike trials

Pretty high if I'm there as I'll be phoning them.

Tree huggers get on my tits 🙄

br
    Free Member

Go early, go quiet(ish) and make sure they can't find your car/van if you are 'seen'.

taka
    Free Member

i got pulled by the coppers for doing that it wasn't for off-roading but for driving on the road illegally 100 yards back to the trailer… 👿

TheDBF
    Free Member

Go early, go quiet(ish) and make sure they can't find your car/van if you are 'seen'.

My concern about that is land workers would be about during the week, where at the weekends, far more people about

druidh
    Free Member

I tend to be out and about in the hills mid week too.

TheDBF
    Free Member

Arse

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is very little legal offroad riding in Scotland. Taking a trials bike up onto the munros would be pretty antisocial as well.

Join a club who will be able to tell you where it is acceptable.

coffeeking
    Free Member

As far as I'm concerned people who want to take motorbikes up hills have absolutely **** all respect for nature or the other people around them, not all I'm sure but comments like "Tree huggers get on my tits " kinda proves the point. But that's just in my experience dealing with that sort of person and how they like to disproportionately rip the paths and hills to pieces in persuit of their hour of fun. It's blatent anti-social behaviour. I'm afraid I too would be reporting you unless you were taking great care not to rip up the vegetation and travelling at a considerate speed when others were around.

singlespeedstu

I bet you could ride some fairly cheeky stuff on a trials bike and no one would know you were there. 😉

PJ266
    Free Member

As a fellow user of the countryside I cannot tell you off about erosion without being a massive hypocrite.

sangobegger
    Free Member

A few years back there was a bit of trials bike malarky on the top of Ben Wyvis near Inverness.Tossers tore the top of the hill to pieces.By all means find an isolated glen to burn around in,but stay off the tops,it takes years for the soil to recover.To be honest though,getting a place to ride in the Highlands is nigh on impossible unless you are mates with Estate staff,etc.Sell the damn thing,get a MX bike,and burn round yer local housing estate – much more fun.

singlespeedstu
    epicsteve
    Free Member

There is very little legal offroad riding in Scotland

There is actually quite a lot, it's just that unlike England they're not marked on the OS maps.

Join a club who will be able to tell you where it is acceptable.

There aren't really any as the enduro and MX clubs aren't interested in legal trail riding and the TRF aren't active up here.

epicsteve
    Free Member

A few years back there was a bit of trials bike malarky on the top of Ben Wyvis near Inverness.Tossers tore the top of the hill to pieces

I'd have thought that unlikely to have been trials bikes – more likely MX, enduro or trail bikes.

redthunder
    Free Member

Ditto

If I see them I'll ring the cops and also send pics to the local PC.

Engines don't belong in some places.

singlespeedstu

There aren't really any as the enduro and MX clubs aren't interested in legal trail riding and the TRF aren't active up here.

Was the OP not asking about trials riding though not trail riding?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

epicsteve – there is some in the borders but I don't know what you will find in the highlands – corryairak but what else is a public road as that is all I think you are legally allowed on. Other places like above kinlochleven is at the landowners discretion.

br
    Free Member

Other places like above kinlochleven is at the landowners discretion.

Is that still Alcan/British Aluminium land?

epicsteve
    Free Member

epicsteve – there is some in the borders but I don't know what you will find in the highlands – corryairak but what else is a public road as that is all I think you are legally allowed on

As well as the Borders "streets" and the corrie (all of which I've ridden) there are also lots of shorter legal trails. There are loads in East Lothian for example.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Was the OP not asking about trials riding though not trail riding?

Same still applies however – there isn't really anything organised up here for those who want to ride legal off-road routes. All the competition based clubs ride on land where the owners have given permission.

singlespeedstu

There's some great trails round the Peebles area.

A real blast on an enduro bike. 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Trials bike up the hills question’ is closed to new replies.