Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • TREK (Carbon frame) excessive cable rub in only a few weeks – how concerned?
  • Merak

halfbee – Premier Member

Its his fault because he didn't apply the provided frame protectors

there would need to be a disclaimer in the manual for that. Which Im pretty sure theres not.

The waters are muddied here by the material in question. Excessive damage to carbon can lead to catastrophic failure resulting in death or worse.:)
    Seriously though if there is a 4mm gouge out of a carbon frame (providing you didnt assemble it) within weeks then demand that its replaced.

sq225917
    Free Member

You better hope that has seven layers of paint on it, because that's how many layers you have rubbed through.

It doesn't matter what the shop or Trek says, that is unacceptable wear, and if they provide frame stickers because they know there is a wear issue it is their job to fit them, not yours, not unless they gave you a discount to fit them yourself.

if you bought the bike built, it's their responsibility to make sure it's fit for purpose and cables wearing through a frame is not fit. It wouldn't be fit on an HGV or an Aeroplane and it aint fit here.

Jenga
    Free Member

Reject the frame as not fit for purpose. If bike shop won't accept the rejection then write to them by recorded delivery, advising them that they have either to rectify the fault or give you a full refund. If they refuse sue them through the Small Claims Court. Mountain bikes should be suitable for use in mountain conditions, and if the cable fitted at delivery are causing frame damage after such a short time then the bike design is unsuitable. To say that dirt between the cable and frame is the responsibility of OP is ludicrous. The bike has to be fit for use in dirty and rough conditions, which it clearly is not.

thepodge
    Free Member

they never showed me any houses like that when i came to sheffield

markd
    Free Member

Are you honestly saying that you think any frame with cable rub (i.e ALL eventually) are unfit for purpose.

You are living in a dream world. Seriously, just think about what you have written and read out loud how silly it sounds…

Merak

Are you honestly saying that you think any frame with cable rub (i.e ALL eventually) are unfit for purpose.

You are living in a dream world. Seriously, just think about what you have written and read out loud how silly it sounds…

Your missing the point there. In this instance the wear is excessive and apparently within a matter of weeks of purchase. This is grounds for repair or replacement under the terms of the respective warranty. Would you be happy with a 4mm gouge out of your new carbon frame?

markd
    Free Member

Its not 4mm. And I make sure I protect my frame as much as possible.

What's worrying is the 20-30 rides without inspection. If I were Trek I would not entertain a warranty. It is simply not a manufacturing fault with the carbon frame. To say it is is missing the point of a warranty.

Merak

markd – Member

Its not 4mm. And I make sure I protect my frame as much as possible.

Likewise, its the first thing I do when I buy a frame. Heli tape these areas then rubber protectors on the cables.

What's worrying is the 20-30 rides without inspection. If I were Trek I would not entertain a warranty. It is simply not a manufacturing fault with the carbon frame. To say it is is missing the point of a warranty.

Your right its not a manufacturing fault but rather a design oversight.
    I dont know why cables have to interfere with frames considering the finish on carbon, top coat is not resistant to excessive rubbing.

Having checked the OP's pictures of the rubbing Id have to agree, that a warranty issue will not wash. I can appreciate how disappointing it is to mark new kit though.

Some frame protectors over the existing damage is the best option I could suggest.

phead
    Free Member

That cable routing looks nothing like the demo bikes used in other reviews see:

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2009/07/20/1248083751712-eg8aw0fe7diy-798-75.jpg

Given that was the launch event, and we assume the best trek mechanics around set those up, then someone has screwed up badly with yours.

Either Trek or the shop need to step up and get that frame replaced.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

To be fair this is the LBS fault. It may be a design fault but any decent shop should have known about it and given him a heads up. Yes cables rub you've got to expect that but as he's said he's new to MTB and has gone into a shop to buy a 4k bike. They should have at least given him some advice.

How hard is it? "Hell you've spent 4k i'll throw some patches in, you know what i'll even fit them for you, i'd be gutted if I gouged the hell out of brand new carbon frame"

andyxxx
    Free Member

Thanks for all the further input.
    I must add that the groove is worse than it looks on my photos – it is not just paint that is removed – a chunk of carbon has gone as well!

If it is only cosmetic as TREK state, then although I’m annoyed, it’s not really an issue to me cos the bike will look tatty in a year or so anyway.

However, I would like firm assurance from TREK that they would cover this as a warranty issue if it did prove to be a problem. I am also eager to hear what TREK have to say regarding the set up of cables as per the photo phead kindly posted.

Lots of very helpful posts – and overall not very good PR for the company.

Hora
    I have to agree with you. They are the original outers (factory fitted) so exactly my point the design/finish/build is at fault

Markd
    I clean and inspect the bike after every ride. This wear really is hidden behind the cable and I really did not know or expect the damage would occur (or of course would have prevented it.)

Halfbee
    No frame protectors were provided and untill I reported the issue to the lbs I didn’t even know such things existed existed.

Jenga
    Mountain bikes should be suitable for use in mountain conditions, and if the cable fitted at delivery are causing frame damage after such a short time then the bike design is unsuitable – this is my thinking exactly and why the following comment and photo are so interesting.

Phead
    Thank you – a very interesting photo and helpful post. If the cables were run like that there would not have been an issue. I am interested to hear what TREK say about that.

lookmanohands
    Free Member

Offroad bikes in cable rub shocker! Next you'll be taking the bike back cuz the tyres are worn or the chains dirty! People be realistic about this, the bike moves around cables rub, stones chip. I've even had customers bring bikes back within a day of purchase with a flat tyre asking for warranty because it's a new bike and the tyres shouldn't puncture. MTFU 😉

snakebite
    Free Member

If you are that worried about your frame, be creative on your next ride and ensure the front triangle needs replacing under warranty. Then, buy some patches and look after it this time…. 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘TREK (Carbon frame) excessive cable rub in only a few weeks – how concerned?’ is closed to new replies.