Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Trains
  • Harry_the_Spider

Some of them are mint.

Shinkansen

TGV

…and the no-nonsense Voith Maxima

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I know more than is heathly about the engineering of the Shinkansen wheel bearings and bearing housings…..

Harry_the_Spider

Is it good news knowledge or bad news knowledge?

sobriety
    Free Member

MAGLEV!

derek_starship
    Free Member

This is Thalys – the Belgian version of the TGV.

And the Itain Freccia Rossa – Red Arrow

[img]

Cougar

molgrips
    Free Member

Cougar, that’s a lightweight waterproof by Marmot, and is a cool thing 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Oh dear – the Spanish have dropped a bollock with this minger.

The AVE

Cougar – sod off lad – trains are awesome.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Never mind that modern rubbish. I’ve got shares in this one 😉

Cougar

Cougar – sod off lad – trains are awesome.

I’m only pulling your leg(*). Some of them are pretty funky, though it’s not really my thing.

(* – Thought you might’ve spotted that)

Harry_the_Spider

Wow! Look at what the Russians have been up to.

woffle
    Free Member

They look like Shuron glasses too – US made, quality frames.

All I know about trains is that I pay over 3K a year for my commute and the (non)service courtesy of Southeastern…

Harry_the_Spider

Woof Woof!

Cougar

Wow! Look at what the Russians have been up to.

Ok, that’s cool.

I particularly like the nose laser.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

No Harry, ALL of them are mint!

RustySpanner

Dead Deltic:

When I rule the world, someone, somewhere will pay for their destruction. 👿

Nice flask Cougar – tea, coffee or Hot Vimto? 🙂

Cougar

Isn’t weak lemon drink traditional?

project
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner, theres still a few Deltics in preservation, and slowly making people deaf and filling the air with fumes.

Horrible obnoxious things they where, now the class 40 or 45 46 or the 37 they where real mens trains,

Letusnot forget the Virgin Pendolino, built by fiat, and on theuir days off made my van.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually the uk Pendo’s were built in Washwood Heath by Alstom, apart from a batch of 11 coming from Italy currently.

The best trains this country ever made are these:-

30 years old and still going strong.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Bigyinn is actually right, but they have to be in this livery I’m afraid:

Modern trains are lovely things. That Russian thing looks mental! Wonder if we can get an ex-train driver with PTSD to go and nick one?

Remember; think in Russian…

RustySpanner

Horrible obnoxious things they where, now the class 40 or 45 46 or the 37 they where real mens trains,

Yep – ‘Balls to everything but the 40’s’ as a wise man once said:

Cougar – Member

Isn’t weak lemon drink traditional?
    No good on Victoria station on the middle of February – colder than a witches fridge that place…..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Eh? Where’s me video gone? ❓

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Soz, mislaid it; it was on another thread! 😳

If this doesn’t give you goosebumps, then you are either a child, or have no soul:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd3NRr4SYiA[/video]

This is the aaaaaaaaaaaaaggee…….

….Of the TRAIN.

project
    Free Member

The Pendolino is a fiat t rain, no matter where it was bolted together.

Also the HST125 date back to 1974, when i was an apprentice, and a fellow apprentice made the wooden pattern for the MK 3 door handle when at Swindon Works, all destroyed by thatcher, the works that is.

The Class 40 is 50 yers old this year as well.

Creg

Was always amazed by these as a kid, and the Shinkansen

Went to the NRM at York last week. First went with my uncle when I was 12 and had a great day out. 15 years later it’s still a great day out. Was amazed to see the 1964 Shinkansen at York NRM. Would love to go to Japan and take a ride on one there.

samuri
    Free Member

Oh dear – the Spanish have dropped a bollock with this minger.
    The AVE

Jesus! Have they been stealing plans from Fiat?

peterfile
    Free Member

I know a thing or two about rail, but not much on the engineering side of things, although I do have to endure endless meetings with technical advisers babbling on about standing waves and pantographs.

I have absolutely no interest in how they work to be honest, but I do have to feign an interest when clients get all excited about them. Rail industry dinners can be quite good though. I was at one with the new chairman of Network Rail in October. You can imagine the delight when the floor was opened for questions after dinner. First out the hat was from an old bloke I know from another firm, asking “do you plan to retire once Network Rail is broken up after the McNulty review?”

nbt

The Dirty Thirties were always my faves, class 37 locos, specifically 37425 – Concrete Bob, named for Sir Robert MacAlpine and a frequent sight at Crewe pulling the 4pm train to Chester and Wales when I worked for British Rail (as was)

Try typing 37425 into google, the auto complete recognises you’re looking for Concrete Bob, that’s how OSSUM that loco is.

Edit: does that russian train have a flamethrower on the front for clearing snow? Now that‘s OSSUM!

carbon337
    Free Member

better than my daily rubbish:

project
    Free Member

For ugly locos look at the new class 70 built in america, with no plans of the outside.

Harry_the_Spider

nbt, did you get all misty eyed typing that?

when I worked for British Rail (as was)

I think I may have bought a KitKat off you once 😉

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Something about Class 37s for me. I think it’s because the train highlights of my year as a child were travelling up from EMU bound South London/Surry to take the 37 hauled train from Liverpool Street up to see the relatives in Norfolk.

I don’t understand men who don’t appreciate everything mechanical, and the louder heavier, more powerful the better. Trains, planes, cars bikes, guns, tanks, etc.

Now, as to you youfs using the word ‘mint’ to mean something other than brand spanking new (i.e. as minted), you’ll be the ones to blame for all the crap sold on various auctions sights described as ‘mint’ that turns out to be nothing of the sort once received! Grrrr.

nbt

nbt, did you get all misty eyed typing that?

No, I got rather excited

I think I may have bought a KitKat off you once

I worked on the payroll processing software, rewriting it before the fabled Y2K bug hit. Running UAT and helping debug mainframe cobol

Now, I’m getting misty-eyed…

duntmatter
    Free Member

Pendolinos have so little space inside them it’s ridiculous. Is it some sort of reverse tardis effect that causes you to feel like you’re sitting in a small tube of toothpaste?

redthunder
    Free Member

When I worked at Bath Road.

redthunder
    Free Member

Nothing like a good shunt…

dave360

the age of the bikes on trains

Kuco

Rusty Spanner I always loved the Deltic also loved Shunters always found them interesting if somewhat ugly.

geoffj

Fantastic thread!

I’m on my phone. Someone please post a pic of Tornado.

LycraLout
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Trains’ is closed to new replies.