Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Track riders – what pedals do you use and why?
  • racemonkey

I had my track bike about a year and was thinking of getting some new pedals.
    Quite a few of the bikes I see at the velodrome have Speedplay track pedals fitted but most seem to have Looks.
    I have an old pair of VP’s on my Dolan currently but want something better.

Any suggestions / recommendations out there.

Cheers

racemonkey

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Dura ace SPD-R

flashes
    Free Member

I believe some circuits only seem to allow certain pedals, like Newport, they may all have Speedplay at your track as that’s the tracks choice…

crazy-legs

Dura Ace SPD R. Same as on my road bike so same shoes.

racemonkey

I think I can use any pedals I like as it’s my own bike. I suppose checking with them (Newport) would be a good thing to do just in case.

I thought about using Shimano’s but have never used them on any of my bikes ever since I’ve ridden clipless and that’s nearly 20 years.

I wondered if there was a reason so many people seem to use Looks and looking on a few track websites they seem to offer very few pedals from different manufacturers.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the SPDR is out of production so it’s fleabay or a lucky find in a shop, shoes that fit them without poor adapters is also hard

they were really popular as you could tighten them up so your foot wouldn’t come out

speedplay track have a stiffer release than the road ones IIRC

racemonkey

Yeah, I like the speedplay’s but was more tempted to go with the Keo classics as they have tension adjustment too and they’re about half the price.

Don’t see myself as a powerhouse sprinter :lol:, I just enjoy the structured sessions

zangolin
    Free Member

You can ride whatever pedals you like on your own bike – even toe clips and straps if you desire.
    Newport hire bikes use Look or toe clips if you have trainers.

Shimano SPD SL – by far the most popular road/track pedal. Adjustable tension etc.

105 are good value:
    105 pedals

samuri
    Free Member

I used SPD-SL.
    It was **** ridiculous though just like all road cleats are. Stood out a mile, try walking down a ramp. Stupid.

Standard SPD’s are best. But the shoes don’t look cool at the track and that’s what’s important.

tom13
    Free Member

SPD-R’s are the best but only available second hand now as mentioned before.

Any track will allow any pedals. The speedplays are ace but quite expensive. I use SPD-SL’s on all my bikes, road and track and they are the best. Great performance and great value.

I would say 100% guaranteed go for the SL’s you won’t regret it.

Cheers

Tom

racemonkey

Coolness is the least of my problems and smooth concrete and any sort of cleats are a disaster waiting to happen with me.

What’s important is staying upright and clipped in when I’m up there with 30 to 40 other people doing drills. I’m not in a hurry to get a bollocking for causing a major pile up.

And I don’t fancy going back to any sort of straps on pedals.

racemonkey

Cheers zangolin those 105 SL’s do indeed look like a cracking bargain. I’m liking the look of the Ultegra’s as weel but not sure if I want to pay an extra £40 to save 20 grams.

rootes1

the little grippy bit on the spd-sl cleats work well plus you could also just walk aroud in socks or flipflops and carry your shoes..

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for what rootes1 says – for the grippy bit.
    Use D.ace pedals on my road bikes but used 105s on my track bike for all the years I spent racing and riding at Newport Velodrome – never a problem.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Track riders – what pedals do you use and why?’ is closed to new replies.