Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Tow ball mounted bike racks
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

we are getting a new car and will be looking to get a tow bar mount bike rack. I have found this one. Has anyonr used it? if not what else as the thule ones look good but are not cheap.

petrieboy

Got to be worth a punt at that price – certainly looks like a decent bit of kit

billybob
    Free Member

A mate of mine has one of these. Solid well made rack.

Wookster

Got one of these and its been faultless for three years now inc 400+ mile trips with three 140mm bike on no issues woulld get it again mate.

gator
    Free Member

Same as wookster – but I have the 2 bike one

Done thousands of miles with it

bruneep

I have one of these not the lightest, but boomproof.

boxelder

Do any of the wheel support ones fold up for storage?
    Looking at a thule 9503, but it's huge to store!

nickc

I've got that Thule one, it's a solid piece of kit, folds up pretty flat for storage

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I Have an atera strada 3 bike which has been brilliant since day 1! bit expensive tho!

cp

a mate has one of the buzz rack racks (what a weird name), and it's very excellent! Very solid, very well made, and very simple to use.

dickie
    Free Member

See classifieds for £40

stumpyjon

OP

that one 'looks' quite good for the money.

I've got a Thule 909 Euroclassic, by the time I'd paid for the rack, towbar, 4th bike extension piece, number plate and 4 x 4 spare wheel upright piece I didn't have much change out of £ 800 😯

However I haven't regretted it, it's a breeze to use.

Downsides are:

It is very expensive.
    It is pretty heavy.
    With the 4 x 4 accessory it doesn't fold that flat (although it's easy enough to remove).
    One part of it has melted a bit due to being close to the exhaust (the say don't mount it close to the exhaust, not that you have any choice).
    Has a 13 pin (Euro) plug (adaptors are available).
    Bikes can pick up a lot of road muck.

Upsides:
    Bikes are very secure.
    It folds down with the bikes on so you can open the boot of a normal car.
    It is generally very well made.
    I love getting back from a muddy ride and having the bikes loaded in less than minute whilst mates are still mucking about removing wheels etc.
    Inside of the car stays clean and damage free leaving space for more passengers and or gear.
    Will hold up to 4 bikes.
    Will take all sorts of bikes (had kids bikes, full suss, hardtails and road bikes on it).
    Locks to the towbar.
    Support arms have anti tamper locks too.
    Number plates are easy to swap so it's easy to fit to many different cars.
    The Eurclassics have built in lighting boards which include reversing and fog lights.

My advice is spend as much as you can an it'll last you for ever, I got rid of two other racks when I got the Thule.

imp999
    Free Member

Different design(simpler) than the above types – Maxxraxx.
    Ours takes 5 bikes (2 x 24" 3 x 26")with the bars swivelled 90deg and some pedals removed.
    http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/?gclid=CLi-odjovJ8CFcts4wod6D740g

petrieboy

boxeider – ive got the old euro classic which folds, not sure the new ones do tho. this folds up very neat for storeage or for putting in the boot when riding

bigeyedbeans
    Free Member

+1 atera strada pricey but excellent and best of all it folds small enough to stick in the boot

Andituk
    Free Member

I bought a Thule 908 and used it for the first time on Friday, and its worth every penny.

So convenient its untrue. Expensive, yes, but a damn sight cheaper than the bike I'm trusting it to carry.

I went for the 908 over the others because of how easy and quick it is to fit, you literally place it on the tow ball and then push the lever down, thats it. It locks to the towball, the bikes lock to the rack, and its really stable.

Only problem is storage, as its a hefty piece of kit and weighs a fair amount.

JBiker
    Free Member

+1 maxxraxx.

simple & sturdy. and you can convert the top bit to a wall-mounted workstand.

DaveE

Have used pendle wheel support rack for 3 years.
    Got it as still carries 4 bikes on Freelander with spare wheel on tailgate. With ball mounting fits swan neck, flange or detatchable towbars
    Can't recommend it enough. 😛

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Tow ball mounted bike racks’ is closed to new replies.