Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Torridon! StuartieC, Druid, 13thfloormonk & anyone else who can help?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Well it looks like me & Stevie could get as far as Torridon next Monday after all. I know the above mentioned lads are proppa guru's on the Highlands, so has anyone a couple of routes they can stick on here? I'd be grateful for anything really but maybe a good 30 miler for next Tuesday & something slightly less demanding for Wednesday.
    Anyone else up that neck of the woods next week?

13thfloormonk

I'll leave the others to recommend some 'proper' routes, although the climb/descent from Coulags to Annat is an obvious choice, absolutely brilliant descent.

However, RobGarrioch and I carried on along the road from Annat and then followed the coast off road to Redpoint. The first 5/6km of this path (as far as Craig's Bothy, which is marked on the map) is really good fun, techy slabby stuff (think McMoab with singletrack sections throughout). We rode it on the end of a long day, carrying lots of gear, and it was still great fun.

As a late evening out-and-back ride, with the sun setting over the Cuillins, I couldn't recommend it enough.

stooo
    Free Member

Ben Damph route has been on my list for a while…

start here:
    http://streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=185745&y=854115&z=120&sv=185745,854115&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=661&ax=185745&ay=854115&lm=0

head south along the fire track, on the banks of loch damph… turning to singletrack turning … along to Kinloch Damph here:
    http://streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=186460&y=847190&z=120&sv=186460,847190&st=4&ar=y&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=661&ax=186460&ay=847190&lm=0

then head East up the singltrack climb which then heads toward the north… basically following the Drochaid Coire Roill all way to Loch Torridon Hotel…. then back along the road.

Not too long, but that singletrack looks time consuming… should be a cracker though. Too wet last time I was up there.

Waderider
    Free Member

Pardon me for not referring to a map and being a little bit woolly.

I did the Coulags – Glen Torridon – inland – back over via Essan Dorcha route with Sanny and a few others recently, which was good.

The second day we did the round of Liathach, which was also good – we did it clockwise. The more technically competent folk (i.e. not me!) went up to see the triple buttress of Beinn Eighe that day too.

Second the ride to Craig being worth it – but northwards the track deteriorates. I've only been there once, but it was memorable for an otter and a white tailed sea eagle being in the same view!

13thfloormonk

Second the ride to Craig being worth it – but northwards the track deteriorates.

Absolutely, the track north of Craigs was purgatory, but for the views.

sporteus

Apologies for butting in on this thread but I found it while searching for info about Torridon as I'm planning a trip up there in the Autumn. Can any of you Highland experts confirm the best route to Applecross from Loch Torridon? There seem to be two choices to start from. Either from Inverbain to follow the Allt an t-Strathain or from Kenmore, passing close to Lochs Choire Bhuidhe, Bhealaich and Gaineamhach. Which is best?

Swayndo
    Free Member

Did the Achnashellach – Coulags – Annat – Coulin Pass return last weekend. Planned to go into Coire Lair on the return, but ran out of time due to one member of the group getting multiple punctures. The Club sandwich is nice in the Torridon Inn 🙂

Tollie Path is a wonderful shorter circuit. This gives an outline. Bar lunch at the Old Bridge Inn or huge scones at the Mountain Cafe. Think I may do it tomorrow.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

you could do the Liathach loop, not many miles but a fair bit of a hike a bike with a very technical descent down to the road. Or from Achnashellach station go up the Coulin Pass then head back via Drochaid Coire Lair. The latter will take less time but is still a great descent and the area round the bothy below Cnoc Daimh is a beautiful spot for a rest.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Yup the absolute classic is park at the Torridon Inn. Road to Loch Clair. Climb to Drochaid Coire Laire. Down to Achneshellach. Road west to Coulags, climb to Bealach na Lice then down to Annat. Probably the best loop in the UK. About 6 hours

The Ben Damph circuit is good for a IIRC about 2.5 hour circuit but avoid if too wet.

IMO the Liatach circuit is just too much of a pushfest to justify the descent

coastkid
    Free Member

the trail from Lower Diabeag past Redpoint beach is indeed great with amazing views across to Rassay and behind Skye…
    heres a pic of the trail from a few years ago…

robgarrioch

A wee thread re Torridon ctsy. 13thfloormonk…

The fairly obvious circuit, which I haven't yet completely done but hope to this year, could be:
    -Park at NG957568, cycle to Coulin Lodge turn-off
    -Up the track towards Coulin Pass, go right / west at the fork NH023531 heading for Coire Lair
    -Head for Bealach Na Lice, then to Annat & back to car
    I've not done the Coulin Pass – Coire Lair, so can't vouch for it's technicality, or otherwise. I think that'd be a decent days ride in 'epic' surroundings, if you're keen it may take 4-5 hrs, easily longer with a few viewing stops.

Tollie Path is a wonderful shorter circuit

Swayndo – can you post up what you think of the Tollie path itself (Tollie farm to Loch Maree). I reckon it's a boulder-strewn nightmare, but every review I've read (admittedly all >5yrs old) rates it.

DavidM
    Free Member
    what_tyres
    Free Member

The best uber classic big day out starts with an ascent of the Annat descent (surprisingly doable) to Bealach na Lice then across to Bealach Ban then round to Coire Grannda and up and over into the top of Coire Lair – mostly riding with some hikeabike.
    The descent of Coire Lair all the way to Achnashellach is some of the best riding you'll ever do then follow the road to Coulags then back up to Bealach na Lice and finish with the Annat descent.
    Done the Ben Damp circuit but if I did it again I would probably ride/push up the descent and then turn straight round rather then slogging along the loch and up the boggy singletrack to the col. The descent is great though…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Torridon! StuartieC, Druid, 13thfloormonk & anyone else who can help?’ is closed to new replies.