Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Tools for tapping out the bushes/pin thing in a rear shock
  • kevin1911

Hey all,

I need to swap out a shock on my bike. The new (used) one came with all the fittings for the bike it came off (a Nomad I believe).

I’ve got the aluminium collars off easy using a vice. However, the eyelet at the bottom of the shock also has a longer steel pin passing through it. It’s drilled to take the bolt that holds the shock onto the frame. Like the one 5 down on this page: http://www.mojostore.co.uk/acatalog/Fox_Rear_Shock_Bushing_Kits.html

I’d tapped it half way out using a hammer with a socket set bit underneath. The problem is, the pin is much longer than the depth of the socket, so I can’t use it to tap it all the way out. Additionally, the socket was starting to mark the shock.

Does anyone know if there’s a proper tool you can buy that lets you do this job quickly and easily. Alternatively, any ideas for a makeshift drift and nylon support?

Hope this makes sense to someone 🙂

goldenwonder
    Free Member

open your vice slightly, put something soft on the jaws to rest the shock on & tap it through with a drift.

falkirk-mark

Can you not cut the pin (assuming it is not being reused)

ruscle
    Free Member

BETD or tftuned sell them roughly about £25

d45yth
    Free Member

Can you use some blocks of wood underneath the shock? I’ve used old allen keys as punches when I’ve been stuck for something to knock bearings out of frames.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The tool is a bushing tool im assuming he means. You can pull them out with a selection of sockets and a long bolt and nut or just drift it out with a couple of sockets and a hammer. Or put pin in the vice and spin the shock off.

kevin1911

Cutting the pin would just leave it stuck in the shock, unless I’ve misunderstood what you mean Mark?

The only thing I can see on BETD is this: http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=375&Name=Shock+Eyelet+removal+tool which seems to just be fore the little eyelet bushes.

A couple of bits of wood on the vice might work – just seems like a pretty crude method. There must be a clever way!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Tools for tapping out the bushes/pin thing in a rear shock’ is closed to new replies.