Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Today’s icy roads around Glasgow
  • mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe how icy the roads were this morning…guess the councils didn’t read the weather forecast last night as there wasn’t a drop of grit on them. I skidded twice pulling gently away from traffic lights on corners, the M8 was plain scary (and despite this there was still the usual a-holes driving right up the rear end of vehicles in front of them) and my girlfriend fell off her bike twice on the way to work (once as she braked thanks to mr bus pulling out right in front of her).

I am not happy!

coffeeking
    Free Member

They were out gritting at about 11 yesterday up north of bishopbriggs. When/where I drove in it wasn’t icy at all, and I have a car with the least grip in the world lol? I heard it mentioned on the radio but never encountered it.

mysterymurdoch
    Free Member

Maybe they ran out of grit when they got to the clyde.

traildog
    Free Member

They gritted by us last night (NW England), but still the roads were very icy this morning. We had quite heavy rain last night, which probably washed away the grit and then the temperatures dropped mid way through the night. There is only so much they can do.

I cycled in but had to walk a bit this morning up a hill and also had a scary moment where the bike just went sideways while I was travelling in a straight line! But I managed to stay upright and off the tarmac. Saw a van in a ditch and a couple of cars that had run into the back of each other. Nice bright morning though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

It was seriously cold overnight, my car doors were frozen shut and it took a good 10 mins before my breath would stop freezing on the windscreen.

somafunk

Looks like the lack of grit on the roads possibly contributed to this death on the M8 earlier this morning.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is that the death of a web page somafunk?

son-of-mike
    Free Member

Mysterymurdoch – I agree with you 100%! I couldn’t believe I was hearing the M8 was closed because of ice and a 5mph police convoy on the M74! I’d liked to have heard someone from the council on the radio to explain what went wrong. Surely it’s cheaper to put down some grit than deal with the consequences of not doing it.

somafunk

Godamm lack of preview function……it’s on the bbc scotland news website.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

cooncil cost cutting?

snaps
    Free Member
    coffeeking
    Free Member

soma – just check it when you posted it and use edit if its wrong 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

I know – I left the house for a nice ride to work this morning then turned back for home after half a mile. Wierd thing was there was no ioce or frost on the car windows so I didn’t even suspect ice. Bollox, bollox, bollox

takisawa2

My 3yr old went a right cropper this morning, right outside the gate at the nursery. Right where parents holding babies / toddlers & assorted bags etc, have enough of a struggle as it is to open the gate.

I offered to go sprinkle some salt, “Oooh no. We arent allowed to in case someone claims for faslling over”. FFS.

Where’s my Daily Mail ?

Pickers

Gary_M – Same here, went out at 5am to check car windows, condensation only – no ice; rode out at 5:30 onto sparkly frosty roads, very slippy, managed about 2 miles and turned back.
    Left house at 7:15 to drive in and car had frozen up, temp dropped 2-3 degrees C.

weeble
    Free Member

I went down on, hitting the road hard on my commute in the West Midlands today. The roads are in a bad way round here.

Pickers

Weeble – whereabouts were you?

mrdoubletake
    Free Member

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7841550.stm

This the one somafunk?

Stu
    daveevs
    Free Member

Stirling Tesco carpark wasn’t gritted the other night. I was outraged.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Today’s icy roads around Glasgow’ is closed to new replies.