Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Frame 'dilemma' – which one would you choose – Ibis Silk-ti vs Indy Fab Ti?
  • psychle
    Free Member

OK… perhaps predictably, I've been tempted by the Ibis Silk-ti in the classifieds (to partner my Bow-ti 8) ), though am a little worried it might be a touch too big for me (I think it's a M/L, I'm only 5'8" with a 31" inseam).

Anyhoo, I currently own an Indy Fab Ti delux, which I bought off here with a repair job done on it (a crack in the top tube where it joins the seat tube), lovely frame and a joy to ride, currently it's setup as a rigid SS.

My 'dilemma' is that if I want the Silk-ti, I'm going to have to sell the Indy Fab to part fund it, along with a few other bits and bobs that are going spare.

I'm torn… on the one hand, I'm an Ibis fanboi, so would love to add another of their classics to my collection, on the other hand, the Indy Fab is a stupidly expensive frame to buy new, and I really do like to ride it… but I wonder if I'll like the Ibis just as much…

So… what does the STW massive reckon, would you sell a Ti Delux (even a repaired one) to own a Silk-ti instead?

Jerome
    Free Member

and I really do like to ride it

Keep the Indy, resale velue would be questionable
    Fello indy owner here

shiny
    Free Member

Im 5'8" and could buy the indy fab….
    The IBIS looks great but seems big to me…

Decisions decisions!

trail_rat
    Free Member

without knowing what your expecting id be willing to bet indy fab not worth as much as youll be hoping due to repair job i bet. Worth more in your shed if it rides as well as you say.

psychle
    Free Member

Worth more in your shed if it rides as well as you say.

I'd love to have both in my shed… but my wife would probably kill me! 😆 😯

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF is your disposable income?

ctk
    Free Member

The Ibis is too big for you- so easy decision.

clunker

simple the IF.

psychle
    Free Member

why?

Hicksy
    Free Member

You say she'd only probably kill you!

psychle
    Free Member

nah, she would kill me… I'm under extremely strict orders not to spend any money on bikes… so if I want it, I have to free the cash up somewhere else! she's an evil women I tell you! 😡

geetee1972
    Free Member

Psychie – as a potential buyer of a second hand Ti frame, I would be really put off by the repair issue as well; it's reasonable to thing that a lot of other people might also.

Having seen your frame (on the STW Surrey Hills weekend) I'd suggest that it's a far more rideable and timeless bike than the Ibis. The Ibis has collectable value maybe, especially for someone who is an Ibis enthusiast such as yourself. But it's not really a serious bike anymore; the idea behind it's suspension is a bit laughable these days (sorry, but it really is) whereas the Indy Fab is as contemporary now as it was when it was new.

It would be a lot of money for a bike that is fabulously made but probably doens't ride any better (and perhaps worse, depending on how the damping is being managed) than the IF.

tails
    Free Member

I agree with geetee, it's old and outdated much like the other one you bought. How many bikes do you own at the moment?

Ibis
    IF
    orange frankenbike

psychle
    Free Member

Ibis Bow-ti
    IF
    orange frankenbike

and an Enduro SL… and a Brompton… an a muckaround trials bike… 😳

oh, and my wife has my old Yeti ASR… which I still ride 😉

hence why one would have to go for the Silk-ti to find a home with me, and why the Orange is currently for sale 😉

it's old and outdated much like the other one you bought

Maybe so, but it's still one of the coolest bikes ever made… and I love it, even if it isn't the best riding bike I have, it's still my favourite, at least until my Mojo HD arrives later this year! 8)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Frame 'dilemma' – which one would you choose – Ibis Silk-ti vs Indy Fab Ti?’ is closed to new replies.