• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Moda.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ti Bolts Pedal Axles From Superstar
  • Moda
    Free Member

Ordered a pair of these as they claim on the website that they will reduce pedal weight by about 65 gms on a pair of XTRs. According to my digital scales its only 37 !!!!

njee20
    Free Member

No, it says you'll lose around 65g from your pedals, which you probably will from M540s.

IA

The only difference between M540/XTs and XTRs is the axle anyhow, isn't it? So upgrading the axle on some XTRs is a bit of a waste of cash. Keep the XTRs as is, buy some 540s/XTs and upgrade those.

njee20
    Free Member

Not quite, XTRs have smaller bodies and flouride coated bindings.

You buy Shimano pedals because they'll work forever, not because they're light. Ti axles will wear out much more quickly and the pedals will develop play.

If you want light, use Crank Brothers or sommat.

Moda
    Free Member

The axles are advertised as XTR in the heading so most people would make the assumption that the weight loss is in respect of those pedals.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SSC components – what do you expect? Reality? Truth?

br
    Free Member

Can't find them on their website – have you a link?

I run 540's and have been looking at some from the USA on ebay, they were claiming a 55g loss over steel axles.

Possibly the same ones/supplier?

njee20
    Free Member

clicky

I can see what you mean, but that's how I interpret it, slightly cheeky.

"Ti them up to loose around 65grams from your pedals

Also fits M970 M959 M770 M540, XTR and XT pedals."

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ti axles will wear out much more quickly and the pedals will develop play.

Don't they run cartridge bearings?

simon1975

Not cartridges. Millions of little tiny balls…

njee20
    Free Member

Indeed, make adjusting them fun too!

Pedals are an inherently bad place to use ti IMO, none of the ones I've ever had have been much cop in the longevity stakes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wowsers, stupid use of ti indeed.

br
    Free Member

Standard shimano axles use the little balls too, but once they have any play its worth a re-grease.

What are they like for build quality and/or fit?

TBH I've got the DMR Ti axles in my flats, no problems at all.

sam-r
    Free Member

hmm… xtr = the big S's ultimate showcase, performance at all costs tested for years before release. Ti, alu. alloy & carbon all used to achieve this. Yet they use cromo in the pedal axles. Why do think this is, given the above? Maybe, just maybe, they know what they are doing when designing a pedal. £50 on "upgrade" but "ooh its titanium" (probably low grade industrial alloy) from shonky reseller… a fool and his money.

richc
    Free Member

"ooh its titanium" (probably low grade industrial alloy) from shonky reseller

That has to win the award for the most libellous post this month, wonder if that will warrant a banning.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Apart from its not libel as it is fair comment.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The Ti bolts I bought from 'Ti Bolts' were some of the worst quality I have ever seen / used, so it probably is fair comment.

sam-r
    Free Member

That has to win the award for the most libellous post this month, wonder if that will warrant a banning

wtf?
    what titanium alloy is it then? If superstar isn't a reseller, then what is it? Because they do not design or manufacture anything.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Apart from its not libel as it is fair comment.

Nice one, TJ 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

XTR isn't performance at all costs, the accountants have a lot of say in any major manufacturer's projects, XTR included. That's why many pros upgrade their XTR with ceramic bearings, ti bolts and rotors etc etc.

I'm not commenting on SS's axles though…..

sam-r
    Free Member

the accountants have a lot of say in any major manufacturer's projects, XTR included

you're probably right – the Yumena (sp?)stuff & SPAM XX is even higher spec than XTR/X0, but my point about Shimano specifying steel on a product that could easily be made lighter (and therefore better in most folks eyes) with a relatively low cost change in axle material, remains.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR is designed to be usable by all with absolutely no compromises in performance, hence no ti bolts or bits which may be a bit weaker, it's designed as a 'jack of all trades' groupset.

SRAM are happy to be more unabashed and pitch something at the weight weenie XC racer brigade with XX.

IMO, you use Shimano pedals because they last for ever. Adding ti axles will likely compromise that. If you want light pedals, use something else!

Moda
    Free Member

Thanks for the comment Sam R 😉

Will have a moan up and see what i get back from them.. Suppose i will just have to wait until the new Ritchey Paragidm come out….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ti Bolts Pedal Axles From Superstar’ is closed to new replies.