Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Thomson Dropper Post… Owners opinions required please
  • mboy
    Free Member

Soooo…

Follow up from this thread… http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/reverb-longevity-anyone-got-any-better-experiences

New frame requires a 30.9 post, had a 31.6mm Reverb still in OK condition (incredibly!) that a friend has bought off me. I’ve begun entertaining other options… Specifially the Thomson Dropper.

Any experiences good/bad/indifferent of the Thomson post would be gratefully received.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick

I’d like to know if any on has been inside one of these. I know they’re not supposed to be user serviceable but a clean and lube must be possible.

humattzee

Have been using a Thomson for 18months or so, after picking up on a deal from Merlin. No issues at all with function, and still as good as the first day I fitted it to the bike. Not pulled it apart to clean, but give it a wipe down and a squirt of Fork Juice after every ride. Great bit of kit in my opinion, and has survived plenty of filthy rides out in the wet and mud.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Been running mine for the past year and a half in Woburn grit with zero issues.

Apart getting one of the first batches with too short cable I can’t fault it.

mcnultycop

27.2 owner here, brilliant post. Tiny bit of rotational play after at least a year, but only a minimal amount.

mattbee

Had one of the early ones. Developed an issue whereby it wouldn’t extend fully. Would sit about 10mm down from full extension unless I pulled up on saddle. Was otherwise fine.
    This gradually got worse until it gradually dropped of its own accord, after about 18 months in my possession (bought it 2nd hand).
    Had a service with new cartridge & other bits, cost £90 bit as they accidentally scratched the upper & therefore replaced it foc essentially a new post.
    First ride out & 2-3mm of ‘clunk’ at top of travel is apparent once more. Thomson say ‘that’s within tolerance’ so I’ll see if it gets worse.
    No slop, lateral play or similar ever even when it was dropping on its own. Lovely smooth and light action to the lever and it drops and returns very smoothly and feels ‘nicer’ than the Reverb I borrowed while it was being serviced.
    I now use a converted XX shifter instead of the Thomson lever as the cable routing is better and it has a barrel adjuster.

I very much doubt you could do anything inside it, they sent me the old cartridge back after its service. It’s very much like a car boot gas strut, but really high quality, sand standard of finish to all parts as the exterior of the post. No visible way of opening it though.

martinhutch

Mine still working perfectly. But has developed a little lateral play. Email went off to Thomson this morning. Lovely bit of kit, though.

robowns
    Free Member

I’ve got one, lateral play from very early. Never got any worse, over the year I had it. Ive changed it for a reverb stealth due to a new frame, which has a very similar movement. Don’t notice either when riding so I’m not fussed.
    Thomson now sitting in a box waiting for me to list it on here.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Thomson for a couple of years now I think. It went back under warranty early, but has been fine since being replaced. I like the action very much, and find the lever very good indeed.

nedrapier

what size is it robowns?

mudmonster
    Free Member

Bought mine second hand. It works fine but after storing my bike upside down there was a few centimeters of up down movement. This went away after cycling the post a few times. There is about a millimeter of movement now but as soon as I lower the post it’s rock solid. I’ll probably send it for a service after winter.

chestrockwell

Had mine from new and it’s been faultless. It works as well now as it did from new 18 months ago, has no rotational play and is unmarked.

IMO it’s far better quality than either the reverb or giant post my mates use both in the feel/look and action. Highly recommend from me.

robowns
    Free Member

Sorry Ned didnt see this – its 30.9x400mm.

robowns at hotmail dot com if you’re keen.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Dropper Post… Owners opinions required please’ is closed to new replies.