Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)
  • things that annoy you about mountain bikers?
  • GaryLake
    Free Member

Those MTB mags that talk about ‘just get out and ride’, because anyone who buys those (or any other) MTB mag is clearly not, ‘just getting out and riding’.

The fact of the matter is that those people who don’t give a toss about the MTB scene and all the bike jiggery pokery that goes with it, including those mags, but own a mountain bike and go out every weekend, are the only ones that ‘just get out and ride’. And, no one here, on this website forum ‘just gets out and rides’, because we spend more than half our time ‘just’ reading the mags, ‘just’ fannying about on this website forum and ‘just’ wan£ing over expensive blingy bike parts.

I found that pretty annoying – god forbid anyone be so into something that it extends beyond the actual riding.

I pretty much buy every mag and ride plenty thanks.

Right better get packed to hit the Quantocks, riding 4th day out of 4 this bank holiday weeked… 🙄

2hottie
    Free Member

People who are riding the new tracks at Gisburn forest before they are finished!! I dug out a section at the last dig and when I went back yesterday it was totally trashed taking twice as long to finish. **** selfish if you ask me. There is signs up asking people to stay off for just a couple of weeks to let the trail settle/bed in so why can’t they just wait?? grrrr

I give up time to help dig at the volunteer days and drive 120miles a month to do so hence the frustration when a few ruin all the hard work.

robgarrioch

Can’t be doing with elitism, superiority, hostility; whatever the location or situation.
    Wish I could stop being frustrated at, e.g., not being able to manual 100yds and just ride safely instead.

flamejob
    Free Member

I’m going to chime in with – Deliberate Skidding
    Also -Teenagers who judge a book by it’s cover and pigeonhole everyone

large418
    Free Member

Lack of respect (for anyone), but then that annoys me about any part of life.

People who make riding tricky bits look easy.

“elite rider on your left” at Mayhems (when the left is the bit I’m on) – If you’re that effing elite, pass on the side there’s room, don’t expect me to move out of your way.

Standing around in car parks while someone spends an hour to build their bike, that they should have been doing last night. It doesn’t happen much though, as we tend to go and do a quick loop.

coatesy
    Free Member

Agree with “elite rider on your left” comment, had someone at Ashton Court yelling “move over”, then cut in tight enough to almost clip me. We were riding across a trail in an open field at the time.
    People who take ” ‘morning” as a cue to join you and talk constantly about themselves for the next hour/until you let them take a left and sneakily go right.
    People who don’t take the hint, catch you later and resume the incessant jabber.

Joxster
    Free Member

2hottie – How do you get involved with trail building?

Litter annoys me, I’ve yet to see anyone throw a wrapper away intentionally. I’ve never seen an innertube, I keep looking as I want to make a crud catcher and chainstay protector.

People walking their dog on at a trailcentre on the trail and not the walkers path.

I fall in the “all the gear, no idea” look and use it to my advantage 😉

People that don’t ride with helmets, I find that plain stupid.

Braking bumps on a nice fast flowing section.

james
    Free Member

“are you objecting to people peeing near you, or near the trail ?”
    both

“lack of mechanical ability (grinding gears…)”
    are you including people who ride singlespeed bikes?

craig1975
    Free Member

people that moan about mtbers that have all the gear but no idea, “who cares” there probably just jealous Cu’s they cant afford it.

Why do others actually care about what others are buying, wearing, or riding, surly its just a good thing that your just out on your bike for what ever rezone your into it?

Litter is the ultimate cardinal sin

laughing or sneering at people that have cheep bikes

“A chain that’s screaming for some oil”

I always say hi to others I meet out and about, it really bugs me when I just get ignored.

The no helmet thing really gets to me to, I saw a guy cutting about with his 2 year old on one of them bike seat thingys that sits above the back wheel, he had a helmet on but his kid didn’t, what was he thinking it’s just plain crazy!!

Kuco

Litter really annoys me and not just mountain bikers dropping it. What bikes people ride doesn’t bother me and i’ve seen the girlfriend syndrome while out riding.

marsdenman
    Free Member

one that leave me at the back…………….

Ton – Nick and I assumed the ‘rear gunners’ position so well (well, so far off the back……..) in the Dales that I think your days of being ‘off the back’ are gone 😉

Stu_N

Litter – inner tubes and gel wrappers, especially.

People who are impolite and inconsiderate to others (other riders, walkers, equestrians)

“Excusers” – i.e. people who blame their failings on anything but themselves. Wrong tyre choice/ pressure, not having the big bike, anything other than them being not fit enough or not skilled enough.

chakaping
    Free Member

People who spend loads of time on MTB forums, mostly telling other people to “just get out and ride”.

Some posters above seem to be annoyed at other riders for not being up to their own god-like standards and having to use chicken runs – which seems a little harsh to me.

robyzf1
    Free Member

2 things for ,e
    1. people over the age of 15 who persist in using words like rad to describe themselves or anything to do with mountain biking.
    2. People who are so obsessed with MTB’s that they know everything about everything and are more than happy to tell you this. These people also tend to be able to give you a biog of every rider on the MTB dvd you are watching. Who would have thought ROAM could beso tedious!

grumm
    Free Member

Some mtb’ers can come across as VERY smug and middle-class (I am as middle-class as they come btw, but you know what I’m getting at). When I went to a bike demo day when I first got into biking I wore trackies and some people def looked at me funny because of it.

Litter and being inconsiderate/unfriendly to other trail users etc is very annoying.

Joxster
    Free Member

When I went to a bike demo day when I first got into biking I wore trackies and some people def looked at me funny because of it.

I get the same looks when wearing Lycra, I think it’s the sight of a beached whale in skinshorts causing fear.

adey205
    Free Member

ignorant **** who dont acknowledge you when you move out of the way

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helmet nazis?

guido

Downhillers going down the XC descent at Cwm Carn. Too scared to go over the jumps???

jonb
    Free Member

Those that seem to think other forms of cycling are worse/less than mountain biking – e.g. road biking, touring.

Those that think mountain biking is entirely based at Glentress or any other trail centre and can’t be done “in the woods/fields behind your house”.

Those that think other people in the outdoors are in the way (walkers, horse riders etc.). We’re all out there for much the same reasons…

matthew_h
    Free Member

People who think that just because they happen to only see some one on certain kind of bike riding what they deem to be unsuitable for that bike that the rider must be too scared/pathetic/unfit to ride the”proper” stuff. You have no ideawhat that rider may have, or be about to, ride.

ozzybmx
    Free Member

Helmet nazis?

In Oz , the helmet nazis , are the Police . Just keep paying those fines 8)

fingerbike
    Free Member

Fixing braking bumps to then watch a Rider come through and lock up the back brake for no real reason, usually get an ‘I cant help it’ when we shout for them not to?! yes you can, you don’t have a problem with the front brake ffs?!?!

litter, especially inner tubes etc. in trees, that took **** effort to get it there, why not use the effort to put it in your bag/pocket..

RepacK
    Free Member

TJ – Helmet nazis, nice one :mrgreen:

Trash
    Bad manners
    Cr@p trends

crikey
    Free Member

Grumpy driving instructors on the Innerleithen to Walkerburn road…. 😀

Had a great time in Innerleithen tho…

(and I told my mates that you’d definitely come on here and moan about it!)

hicksville
    Free Member

huge groups of riders all out together…….sorry but there you go……..

being told what is ‘rad’/cool/or not acceptable………without people understanding………..i use riser bars with bar ends at times due to injury but i get the comments.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

People who take ” ‘morning” as a cue to join you and talk constantly about themselves for the next hour/until you let them take a left and sneakily go right.

I was interested in this, because I’m not a very sociable person. I enjoy group rides and random chatting, but prefer not to engage in tedious conversations – and biking is perfect for this, as all you have to do is take a different line, flub an obstacle, or speed up and the person is gone :o)

If someone were to continue bending my ear I would just say “Please stop talking to me, I’m not interested”. But usually just ignoring them works fine.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

huge groups of riders all out together

yeah, there IS such a thing as being too friendly 🙁 Any more than 40 really does my head in.

juan
    Free Member

Dh boy that are too lazy/unskilled to ride something else than a DH bike and that:
    -Ride recklessly around pedestrian
    -Trash the trail because these morons can’t ride down around a switchback, they feel force to ride through it digging the trail and making the switchback useless.

**** id10t

I don’t see too much tubes around. However I can name a lot of places that have been close to bikers due to the mentioned DH boy such as Edwards and co.

aviemoron
    Free Member

I usually ride on my own and don’t see many other mtb’ers, but what I do find annoying are those few I see that treat natural or Upland Path trails with no respect i.e. skidding, short cutting or riding with no consideration for the damage they might be causing to old delicate singletrack.
    Go back to your trail centres.

rOcKeTdOg

left hand berms

swamp_boy

<grumpy old git mode on> Where are all these inner tubes hanging on bushes, I’ll have to get out to more popular places? I’m not poor but I’d never leave one behind, never mind the litter issue, by the time you’ve got it off the wheel it takes no time to slap a self sticky patch on, or put in a spare, take it home and patch it later. Even punctured and ripped to bits they have 101 other uses, I’ve got a stack of them in the garage next to the WD40 and the mole grips. <grumpy old git mode off>

hicksville
    Free Member

yeah, there IS such a thing as being too friendly Any more than 40 really does my head in.

sorry Simon, but the damage large groups of riders do to the moors around the north west is shocking, plus not all groups are as polite but my worse experiences have been with large groups of riders who completely disregarded common decency, politeness and where very unfriendly.

rOcKeTdOg

sounds like someone hasn’t got any friends or riding buddies

RichPenny
    Free Member

How would a large group of riders do more damage than a few smaller groups with the same total number of riders?

oldgit
    Free Member

Young twenty something riders giving me grief, lets see how hot you are in thirty years time.
    Agree with TJ about riders taking poor lines rather than get wet or muddy.
    And riders that have only been going 30 seconds that tank past you when you’ve been out for five hours.
    People who opose my right to use flat bars.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

RichPenny – Member

How would a large group of riders do more damage than a few smaller groups with the same total number of riders?

Apparently it does. something to do with the vegetation having time to recover between each injury / episode of damage

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

something to do with the vegetation having time to recover between each injury / episode of damage

here we go again 🙁 FWIW, in the Lakes I’ve seen far worse damage caused by sudden rain than years of bike passage (whatever the numbers)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SFB – this is undeniably true.

More damage is done by the passage of 50 people in an hour than by 50 people in a week

The reason you see damage from sudden rain is because the vegetation has been damaged leading to run-off that takes the soil away.

However it all depends on the terrain and path whether it is sustainable or not. I have no issue with sustainable and reasonable access even if its big groups. all it required is a bit of thought rather than head in the sand blank denial

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘things that annoy you about mountain bikers?’ is closed to new replies.