• This topic has 25 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by burt.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Things do do in York with family
  • iainc

will be heading there with wife and kids, 9 and 6, for 5 days. Not taking bikes.

Got the info on dungeons, viking place, yorkminster etc.

any other must see/do things, plus any recommendations for lunches etc

Thanks

higthepig
    Free Member

National railway museum was a hit with the children. We were a little unimpressed with the Jorvik Centre, although that was about 10 years ago. Can’t remember the name, but the museum near Cliffords Tower was good. Great city and good for bimbling around, not that big that the children will get footsore/bored. A few miles out of town is the aircraft museum at Elvington, also worth a trip.
    Betty’s Tearoom in the middle of town is worth a trip, see the mirror that was signed by the bomber crews of WWII who were based locally

martinhutch

NRM, open top bus around the city, York Minster all good.

Jorvik deeply unimpressive and overpriced.

wolly
    Free Member

The walls are always nice for a walk round,

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Myself and my girlfriend ended up in the castle museum, it was rubbish. Actually rubbish, especially the ‘toys’ bit that was no different to a charity shop display of donations. It was £10ish each to get in, and the tickets are valid for a year. If I can find them your very much welcome to them as we won’t be heading back.

restless
    Free Member

National Railway Museum
    Ghost walk at night time
    York Dungeon, is a bit scary though
    Boat trip along the river

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Bettys does look good but it always has a queue about 200m long outside (especially at the weekends). Round the corner there is a nice little tea shop near the minster and next to the cocoa house (brownies are very good there). In this little cafe you can get meringues the size of your face (no joke). Railway museum good, city wall walk good. Cedar hotel near the train station if you fancy a giggle getting called sir/madam.

Could go visit the yorkshire moors or dales which aren’t too far away?

TooTall
    Free Member

Go to one of the most authentic Italian restaurants I’ve eaten in outside Italy:

lospuntino

I spent 2 years living in Naples and this place (we just stumbled across it) was just like a few family places in Naples – not fancy, just good.

iainc

Lots of great ideas. many thanks.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

The new Chocolate Museum in Kings Square. Just opened and looks very popular already.

Underhill
    Free Member

Another vote for the National Railway Museum. Walk round the walls, do the bus tour, boat trip. Also have a couple of adult tickets for the Castle Museum if you want them, we won’t be back to York in the next 6 months.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You have to go to the NRM cos…well you just have to.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Leave the kids somewhere and drink cocktails in Evil Eye.

mrdestructo

If you get bored, the 843 bus from opposite the train station costs £6.50 return for adults and takes 55mins to get to Leeds.

The Millenium Bridge is built to look like a bicycle wheel, it’s a walk down the river from town, then cross down the other bank and visit Rowntrees Park for a relaxing walk (pond, small kids and medium kids play areas)

York Designer Centre (indoor shopping centre with covered play area outside for small to medium sized kids) is just past Fulford. Buses run there, or if you’ve brought your car they have a massive car park.

Strensall Common is a few miles out of York if you drive there for a family walk/picnic. Can’t even remember if the army are still there (if they are, stay off the firing ranges) If the weather is bad (read good) then bring bug juice for the mozzies and watch out for the occasional grass snake (one bit my hand 🙁 )

You can rent little motorboats on the river for extortionate prices. The Castle Museum is fine for residents (who get in free and aren’t ripped off) The Minster costs a fortune too, just attend a service to get in for free (don’t wander round mid service though!)

Best asian place to eat in the centre of town: Happy Valley. Next is Evil Eye (head chef is Indonesian and her food is rather good)

The Jorvik Centre is a lot better nowadays. It’s worth it I reckon.

MadBillMcMad

as said the railway museum & the walls are a must.

Interesting to see the varying comments on the museum near Cliffords tower & the Yorvik.

Don’t forget it’s about the kids. Cliffords tower itself is very interesting. The museum is a tad old fashioned & musty where as the Yorvik is a modern ‘experience’. The kids will like both but I prefer the Yorvik.

Just out of york is the air museum – http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.org/
    Quite small but good fun. The shed with the old fire engines is great for boys.

GHill

Most of the good stuff has already been mentioned…

Museum gardens is nice for a picnic if the weather is good. Plenty of good pubs if you can sneak off for a bit (and the York brewery tour).

Sandwich

Do like Ms S and I did and create more family? Something about the air in Yorkshire!!

beagle
    Free Member

A lot has been said already, but I’ll throw a couple of things into the mix!

Trip to the coast? Brid, Scarborough, Robin Hoods Bay and have some fish and chips!

If you like Wildlife, take a little walk around Wheldrake Ings – 10 mins from York. Try an after dinner stroll in summer, really good chance of seeing the barn owls – especially if they have mouths to feed, they’ll be a lot of daylight hunting going on. Other flora and fauna are also available. It’s an important SSSI.

Try Oscars Wine bar. Good kids menu and the food is ace.

CHB

Avoid Jorvik…pants and expensive.
    Minster is impressive.
    Bettys is a good experience, particularly little bettys on stonegate.
    Maybe take a trip to leeds and see the royal armouries…free admission!

simonlovesrocks
    Free Member

Try today’s groupon

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/york

Very good restaurant Iv had three groupons for there now great value

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

+1 Oscars – really nice.

Philby

Day trip to North York Moors and a ride on the NYM Railway at Pickering would make a pleasant option to another museum for the kids.

mrdestructo

Forget what mastiles_fanylion and I said about Evil Eye. New manager (owner) in control there pissing off all the staff. Four staff members are ready to go, three have just handed in their resignation.

Happy Valley is still a go 🙂

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

Forget what mastiles_fanylion and I said about Evil Eye. New manager (owner) in control there pissing off all the staff. Four staff members are ready to go, three have just handed in their resignation.

Not been in for a while but will be there Thursday evening, hope it’s not changed too much!

drdjpower

Everyone’s already suggested the best stuff. Walking the walls is always fun, see where you get to. The art gallery is small, free and good, and a lovely location for coffee/ice cream. “Dig” is a Jorik spin-off and our kids (similar ages) loved it although I couldn’t quite see why. I’d add the Spurriergate Centre for child-friendly lunches in the middle of town. And if you’ve not got a car then the Coastliner double decker out to Pickering (steam trains), Goathland (NY Moors) or coast at Whitby might amuse the kids, if you have time.

burt
    Free Member

ghost walk !! plenty to choose from. the one we went on was brilliant.
    north yorks moors railway was a great day out too, a right roy cropper day out.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Things do do in York with family’ is closed to new replies.