Home Forums Chat Forum The pubs of your youth

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)
  • The pubs of your youth
  • Alex

Sheffield. Lived equidistant between

Both of which appear still to be open, but quite why they’e painted the wheatsheaf that colour, there can be no rationale explanation!

Although my earliest drinking was here. Except when the snooker was on if you could peer over the bar, you’d get served. It therefore was known as the ‘dwarf bar’

Although it didn’t look like that when I was drinking there. Basically it was all brown with flecked ash!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

All of them full of characters; the dodgy spots were usually the best.
    Don’t drink in any of them anymore; one of them has since closed down. Used to love going to the pub!

wiggles
    Free Member

I glanced at the thread title and read it as pubes :lol:

thebrowndog
    Free Member

The Breakfast Creek Hotel in Brisbane – the Brekky. Looks like they might have refurbed it since I was last there, but it it was a proper working man’s boozer back in the 1970s when I used to sell the afternoon paper in there and occasional accept a midi off the wood from a regular. My mum was a barmaid there for years till she met my step-dad in there. It’s still got the old Spanish Garden restaurant where you can bbq your own steaks – that will never change. Brilliant place.

pennine
    Free Member

A lot of posh looking pubs! My underage drinking days were in the mill chimney blackened back streets of Bradford in the 60s. Mostly rough edge but at least the landlords turned a blind eye & a pint was 1s 7d. Local bobbies often walked in but if things were quiet they didn’t bother hanging about.
    Robert Peel, Yates, Unicorn, Crown, Great Northern. Plus many others we wouldn’t dare enter!!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

The Chequers in Stourbridge was our go to pub with the delightful Babs behind the bar

I once delivered some hire equipment to the Chequers at 8.30 on a saturday morning and the pub was rammed.
    This was in the days of shorter licencing hours too.

Couple of lads I know are Villa fans, i think a ruck of them used to meet there that time Saturday mornings before heading up Villa Park. Early 90s to mid 90s probably.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wow.

Really wasn’t sure what I was expecting to see from this thread when, in a slightly inebriated state, I started it last night, but wow.

Great to see so many memories, and such a glorious variety of boozer. Both in terms of architecture and the sort of pub it is.

Keep ’em coming!

singlespeedstu

Couple of lads I know are Villa fans, i think a ruck of them used to meet there that time Saturday mornings before heading up Villa Park. Early 90s to mid 90s probably.

I’d say the youngest one in there was 65. 8O
    Maybe not your mates and more the late 80’s.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The Black Bull High St, Glasgow. Pint of Heavy at 16yo. Then every Saturday morning before heading to Parkhead.

more here
    http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk/

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

A regular Saturday night meeting place before heading into town, the last time I went was a week after my 18th when I was refused a drink because I didn’t have any ID.

irc
    Free Member

Allender bar in Milngavie – now a bad italian restaurant

Also had my first underage pints there after the youth club in St Pauls. Graduated to the Cross Keys once 18.

scotroutes

Only it was never officially the Diggers, it was just the Athletic Arms.

The Camra Real Ale guide at the time…

Fourteen fonts dispense McEwans 80/- at lightning speed in a raw Scots atmosphere.

Ordering involved holding up enough fingers to indicate the number of pints you required, then passing your cash to a stranger whereby it would make its way to the bar, pints simultaneously working their way towards you. If there was a match at Murrayfield or Tynecastle then you could stand on the traffic island in the middle of the road and conduct your orders from there.

Guinness and lager taps were hidden below counter level.

On going to the bar one night I ordered three pints of heavy and a pint of lager. As the pints were prepared, the barman shouted “three heavies and a lager for the poof”. Having undergone this humiliation, the lager drinker went up to the bar for the next round and just ordered four heavies, whereupon the barman shouted “Oh, the poof’s drinking heavy now!”.

andytherocketeer

The first pub (or at least beer garden) that I remember going in…

The first sip of Dad’s beer (probably when I was about 6) might have been there, or another local one that is now a home and not a pub.

First 6th form pubs were…

https://goo.gl/maps/aZabW6RUpK72

and a few paces along the road at…

https://goo.gl/maps/bKYUzZhuaP62

Was one of those until one of the 5th year’s couldn’t hold his shandy, and got everyone from the school barred, even those in upper 6th of legal drinking age. Then it was the other bar ;)

Klunk
    Free Member

this what happened to my “first” local when the current owners were denied planning permission for 3 exec homes.

funny that! :? :roll:

RoterStern
    Free Member

This was the place to go in the 80s and early 90s in the local area. Now it’s an Indian restaurant but back then it was simply known as Pisces. It was in two halves one side packed with bikers the other side goths and people from the local ‘alternative'(how I used to hate that word) scene. The duke box had a pretty eclectic mix.The lanlord was a Vietnamese guy called Henry who would greet you with the immortal words “Wa ya wan?”

gobuchul
    Free Member

The first place I ever had a beer in a pub and they had lock ins.

This one before it got flashy and became the darling of the Sunday Supplements. There was even room for a pool table.

Happy summer times!

lawbs
    Free Member

The knights Arms Porthcawl.. Mad but brilliant place

bob_summers

davidtaylforth – Member

Don’t even have to google a pic thanks to davidtaylforth!

Before that it was here, 16yo drinking mild and watching Dallas; old before our time.

On a trip back to the motherland recently we had a couple of pints of Bluebird in the Black Bull Coniston, and it struck me that I was technically still banned from there after a big scrap in the pool room with some locals, some 25 years ago.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll also nominate this place. It was a bit of a drive from home, but through some of Shropshires finest countryside. It had/has a/an reputation for Cider that comes in strengths of mild, medium, strong. Famed for the tiny lanes, the car park full of people, the remoteness and difficulty to find and the reputation of getting you very pissed indeed and having to sleep in the car overnight after just one of the strong Ciders.
    It doesn’t sell anything other than Cider..
    A few folks on here know it well, me and my mates loved it.

The Cider House at Quatt (Wootton actually, but everyone knows it as being in Quatt)

singlespeedstu

Still the same inside and out side Mrbouy.

20130112_141758 by multispeedstu[/url], on Flickr

cider house bimble. by multispeedstu[/url], on Flickr

Houns

Ah the Cider House. Walk in, smack yer head on the door frame, all the locals just stare at you in your bike gear, stick your head through one of the hatches for service to be faced with a parrot, go to the other hatch and order a pint of special, hit your head on the door frame on the way back out, sit in the beer garden out of the way, drink your pint whilst locals talk about threatening someone with a gun, down your pint quick get back on the bike and wobble off

gobuchul
    Free Member

Crime wave at The Cider House

Looking at the picture you never think that!

bob_summers

I meant to ask Davidtaylforth where that third one was. Looks familiar.

hammerite
    Free Member

My village local. The finest purveyors of Red Stripe to a 16yo.

My town local. Closed down after I got smacked around the back of the head and laid into on a Saturday night (for no reason). In the ensuing melee the DJ got glassed and had to be revived on his way and at hospital.

My other town local. Was called The Hogshead back then.

singlespeedstu

Ah the Cider House. Walk in, smack yer head on the door frame, all the locals just stare at you in your bike gear, stick your head through one of the hatches for service to be faced with a parrot, go to the other hatch and order a pint of special, hit your head on the door frame on the way back out, sit in the beer garden out of the way, drink your pint whilst locals talk about threatening someone with a gun, down your pint quick get back on the bike and wobble off

It’s all a front to keep the lightweights away.
    The locals are really friendly once you get to know them. :-)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Is it still open ?

I’m off up there to visit an old school friend back in Ironbridge, be good to pop in and sample the Cider once again.

hammyuk
    Free Member

There was one in Wood End with mesh on the outside of the windows to keep patrons in on a saturday night.
    Walsgrave hospital had the pubs number on the board so they knew who was ringing up when the latest lacerated mess showed up to be glued back together.
    You didn’t drink there unless you grew up within the estate or were related to someone who did.
    Even then being family wasn’t always enough depending on where you lived 8O

singlespeedstu

Is it still open ?

Yep. Give us a shout and well meet you there to make sure no one shoots you. :roll:

bikebouy
    Free Member

Excellent! Cheers.

Viewing 29 posts - 81 through 109 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘The pubs of your youth’ is closed to new replies.