• This topic has 46 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • The new bike Transporter…finished!
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Bring on the long weekends I say!

Just need to get my towbar fitted for the rack then I am sorted!

si-wilson
    Free Member

Now that is a VAN! Fab work, did you kit it out yourself?

richc
    Free Member

nice, you do it yourself?

I am thinking about getting a Van as I have just landed a new job so have some cash spare, so do you have any tips?

mtbfix

Very nice. And you are going to let muddy bikers in the back of that?

Dino
    Free Member

i have seen kits somewhere for kitting out vans

hora
    Free Member

Very nice- what insurance company are you with? Im still thinking of kitting out a Toyota Hi Ace.

spyke85
    Free Member

Sadly I can't claim fame to kitting it out myself but its my design and ideas. Company in Manchester did it called Premier Creations.

Bikes will be going on a towbar rack on the back. Only concern is when I stop at night and the security of them.

Insurance I am with Adrian Flux, got a fantastic quote and was actually cheaper than the car I just sold.

sambob
    Free Member

I WANT ONE! really nice job

richc
    Free Member

do you mind me asking, how much you paid? as I am trying to work out if getting a transporter and it converted is in my price range (12k mark)

Drac

Nice!

I'm slowly going off the idea of having one but when I see cracking examples like that it makes start to to think again. Must resist though.

neil853
    Free Member

sorry to ask but hey what can you do 😉 whats the sort of 'ball park' figure for one of those?

amplebrew

Makes my little Kangoo van look a bit naff 🙁

Your van looks fantastic though, you must be over the moon 🙂

Is the door in the rear quarter for storage?

spyke85
    Free Member

I think a basic conversion including the bed can be done from around 2k, but I specced mine up a little with some different finishings, better bed with memory foam, speakers, extra plugs, a wet locker in the rear for wet mountain bike kit etc, SMEV hob and sink units and an awning rail on the outside.

It's literally a case of how much do you want to spend, but the rock n roll bed is the biggest expenditure out of the final bill. If anyone is around Manchester and wants to take a look, feel free to ask.

cookeaa

It looks very nice, but surely the whole point of getting a van specifically for biking is to put the bikes IN the van, not hung off the back for some dozey twonk to smack in to at the lights, otherwise isn't it just a fancy MPV?…. (or am I missing something?)

wors

is that your house? 😯

spyke85
    Free Member

cookeaa….the idea is to disappear into the middle of nowhere, camp up, have a decent bed, full cooking facilities and be on the doorstep for some fantastic riding!

spyke85
    Free Member

wors, thats next doors house, ours is pretty much the same but I built a double garage/shed for my bikes with a workbench in.

carbon337
    Free Member

I want one – what can I get for £6500

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whats wrong with sleeping in a tent or in the car and cooking your food on a fire. Wheres has peoples sense of adventure gone? Will it be mostly found parked in llangdegla car park?

Nice van though, good effort

spyke85
    Free Member

It will be found mostly in areas of the Cairngorms, Wales and the Alps as well as a few surfing and kiteboarding trips to Cornwall!

With my back, I need a decent bed!

spyke85
    Free Member

carbon337, you'll be able to get a van for however much and just spend the rest on a cool interior!

steveh

carbon 337 – £6k will get you a nice basic t5 van to convert in the future.

richc
    Free Member

Whats wrong with sleeping in a tent or in the car and cooking your food on a fire. Wheres has peoples sense of adventure gone?

depends on if you want to be tied to campsites or not really.

Also after doing a few 2 week camping holidays in the UK/abroad the ability to chase the sun without having to try and dry your tent everyday would be a godsend

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I want one – what can I get for £6500

carbon 337 – £6k will get you a nice basic t5 van to convert in the future.

Equally, buy any other brand of van that's not endorsed by the NAZI party and its £1k-£2k less. That's my plan I reckon, buying a van for £4k ish and doing a basic conversion, probably put the bed at the front end so the bikes can live in the kitchen end at the back.

spyke85
    Free Member

Lol, a Nazi brand rescued by the British Army remember!

carbon337
    Free Member

Just trying to weigh up the pros and cons of swapping my Zafira sri – which has plenty of power and can sit loads when required (but rarely). Bike goes inside upright.

We are planning a family so not sure if we will be camping for long with baby on way.

Also need somehwere for a dog cage.

Maybe a self design/install might be better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Whats wrong with sleeping in a tent or in the car and cooking your food on a fire. Wheres has peoples sense of adventure gone?

Nowhere, but if you've never experienced the joy of mountainbiking from a motorhome/campervan then you wont see quite how good it is.

Chuck bike on very sturdy and easy to use permanently fixed bike rack. (no boot and wobbly fittings to contend with).

Get in, 1 person drives, others cook/eat bacon butties (this may or may not be legal…..)

Get change indoors in the warmth.

Fiddle with bikes (you've got space to carry and entire toolkit and selection of spares).

Ride.

Get back, have a hot shower, cup of tea, more bacon.

Hitch bikes up.

Drive home, whilst the passengers sit around the table drinking the post ride beers.

Tents and estate cars are both good, but camervans are just immense!

spyke85
    Free Member

carbon337 – best idea is to get a floor plan of a van, and come up with some ideas. I have the short wheel base version, but a long wheel base might suit your needs better. Having a little one shouldn't put you off, I have been camping since I was 6 months old and I am now 25. See so many places its awesome.

thisisnotaspoon – do you work in advertising? 😛

mtbfix

thisisnotaspoon – do you work in advertising?

No, but he young and full of vim. That and about half a ton of sugar if my limited experience of his post-ride diet is anything to go by 😉

carbon337
    Free Member

spkye – think i would just rear mount any bikes so i can keep a swb for everyday use – need to park it at a train station a few days a week.

If you have any handy links can you email them to me – in profile? ta.

spyke85
    Free Member

What sort of links you after carbon?

Where are you based?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Nice. Looks proper if you get my drift. Not like some home made jobs.

richc
    Free Member

so how are people transporting there dogs in these things? a cage or a seatbelt contraption?

carbon337
    Free Member

Newcastle – links for flooring/wood/seats. Any tips on diy installs – gas – electrics.

Just anything you may have picked up whilst doing yours.

JimBowen
    Free Member

Nice Van mate

Got to be loads better than camping i.e having to fill your car up with loads of gear and pitching your tent in driving wind and rain 😉

I'd have one in a flash if i could afford it.

Seems like there's a few jealous people out there!! 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, but he young and full of vim. That and about half a ton of sugar if my limited experience of his post-ride diet is anything to go by

not today, just getting over the last of a bout of flu, got the bike back down from my parents loft so might be out for a ride again sometime soon.

spoon's post ride diet:

2x friji milkshakes (BOGOF so it'd be rude not to)
    12x penguins (99p, again it would be rude not to)

I eventually made it back to Reading and went on that Date, she turned out to be a bike hating horesy type, very disappointing, still got a poke though.

spyke85
    Free Member

carbon, just sent an e-mail to you.

The van has kind of been a dream of mine since I was 8 and got the chance to do it due to some inheritance. Not the circumstances I would have liked but I know my grandma will be looking down pleased with what I have done 🙂

NagsNog
    Free Member

spyke85,

i am doing one identical to your van DIY style, got it lined out insulated and with the riemo pop top roof.

Can i ask where ya got the seat bed? and i see it has seat belts fitted.
    Is that a crash tested and DVLA approved passenger carrying seat., as i have been told only the RIB system is legal and thats £2500 😯

Looks very nice mind…

slowrider
    Free Member

transit with a mattress and camping stove would do me. looks nice though!

NagsNog
    Free Member

Looking at that again and the seat/floor fitting it could be one of cannons forge beds.. http://www.cannonsforge.co.uk/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘The new bike Transporter…finished!’ is closed to new replies.