• This topic has 28 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The life of pie (Binners at work?)
  • piemann
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member

* grabs go bag, passport, bundle of Swiss Francs and legs it for the border *

bruneep

Ha! I’m signing that one.

binners

Finally…. A campaign to unite our great nation!! Addressing the real issues our society faces!! Something we can all get behind, regardless of creed, colour, religious or political persuasion, with equal vigour.

zilog6128

Who is this guy, the Pie Nazi? He’s wrong, anyway; by his own admission, a pie clearly does not have to be wholly encased in pastry.

The solution is simple in any case: stop eating in shit pubs/restaurants (they are the ones who cut corners with the puff-pastry topped casserole abominations) and this “problem” will magically disappear.

z1ppy

Signed

mikemorini
    Free Member

Signed.

dantsw13

A pie is defined by the OED as “A baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry.”

Typically is the key word here. A dish is a container, so by this definition, neither a pastry base, nor top is mandatory.

That said, a GOOD pie has both, IMHO.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Signed.

allthepies
    Free Member

A pie should be capable of being removed from it’s cooking vessel and placed between two slices of bread for consumption using hands alone.

big_scot_nanny

signed.

piemonster

Goes without saying. Signed.

Alex

Thanks to the magic of STW, any pub or restaurant purporting to offer a ‘pie of the day’ risks a thorough interrogation over exactly what is for sale.

“Short crust Pastry is it?”
    “Proper enclosed pie, or stew with a hat?”

Disappointingly over 50% fail the test. I did once have the chef come out and laugh at the ‘stew in a hat’ comment. He still didn’t make a proper pie tho.

Signed. Obviously. There’s nothing more important going on right now than the good men and women of the UK being offered appropriate pastry based offerings.

timidwheeler

Signed

scotroutes

Signed. This.has.got.to.end.now!

RobHilton
    Free Member

casserole in a pot

casserole (?kæs??r??l)
    n
    1. (Cookery) a covered dish of earthenware, glass, etc, in which food is cooked and served

So a pot within a pot?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If they are going to be arsey about it most pies served in pubs are actually stew with a puff pastry lid not casseroles .

What about stuff like pumpkin pie that has no lid , that’s a flan or a tart surely

I have worked in many restaurants that do the puff pastry lid trick but I always cut the lid in half lengthways and put half on the bottom , half on the top , I suppose that still doesn’t pass the pie test but it’s a whole lot better than serving it in a pie dish that you just can’t eat from with a puff pastry lid .

Cougar

allthepies

You should know…!

nickdavies

The petition makes no sense considering that it does state ‘typically has a pastry base or lid’ that could mean a stew could be called a pie…

The bigger crime is puff pastry. Who wants sodding flaky nothingness over their meat and gravy?? What’s the use in that! A pie is ONLY a pie if it’s proper shortcrust, and thick enough to take out of the foil tin and eat by hand.

BillMC

Singed. I was pie-eyed.

oliverracing

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_bEIElCoMY&t=4m15s[/video]

This immediately made me think of this (4:15 – 4:27)

Kuco

This is one of my pet peeves, so signed.

Cougar

We’ve discussed this previously, it’s a passionate STW subject.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pie-definitions-pleae

I said back then,

It’s really quite simple.

Can you pick it up in your hands and carry it to your mouth? If you cannot (for any reason other than “it’s a really big one”) then it is not, by any sensible definition, a pie. A pie is self-sustaining and stands alone, proud. It does not require third party support from some party-sized casserole dish.

“Cottage pie” and their ilk get special exemption from this definition as they are not “pies” of a “cottage” type, but rather “cottage pie” is its full name. It does not, after all, actually contain cottages(*). It’s a bit like the “slow worm” which, despite its name, is not actually a worm (or a snake either for that matter).

(* – Except when served in East Lancashire football stadiums, perhaps)

ourmaninthenorth

@oliverracing – for reasons I won’t go into here, that programme once saved my life.

And I suspect it might again.

As you were!

grum
    Free Member

Signed.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

2334 here, there’s a way to go.

allfankledup

Had a killie pie last weekend at the Scotland-Tonga match

Bleeding lovely – and sold by Aldi locally. Recommended

Alex

That ^^ old thread is comedy cold.

I’m not sure where I stand on a flan tho. Other than probably in the middle of it. It’s kind of like the black sheep of the pie family. Everyone’s heard of it, but no one really wants to acknowledge its existence.

Life’d be simpler if we gave the whole thing a semantic haircut leaving us just with ‘Pie’ to be suffixed by ‘with gravy’ or ‘with custard’

And we’ll have none of your new fangled ice cream or other such heretic toppings discussed here either.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The life of pie (Binners at work?)’ is closed to new replies.