Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The "fans' choice"; has it ever been right?
  • IHN

I think Hodgson’s a decent choice as England manager. Not exciting, but may well get the job (that job being to get out of the group stages at the Euros and maybe even into the semi’s) done, even if it’s not with much flair.

However, the “fans’ choice”, we’re told, was Harry. However, the fans’ previous choices haven’t exactly been brilliant:

Keegan for England/Newcastle/City – that went well, didn’t it
    Dalglish for Liverpool – ditto

So, have the fans ever been proved right?

MSP

He was the media choice, never really heard much support for him from anyone I spoke to, I think most realise that he is a bit of a crook.

keegan was OK, but cracked under the pressure, never really had enough faith in his own abilities.

daglishes record isn’t to shabby, but he has been out of management for too long.

binners

I think Woy could be a great appointment as there seems to be an absense of ‘THE NEW MESSIAH HAS ARRIVED, HE’S GOING TO LEAD US TO INSTANT VICTORY!!” type tabloid hysteria, which have characterised every other managerial appointment. That we’re going into a competition with a sense of realism, and not the usual ridiculous level of expectation, can only be a good thing surely?

And I think Kenny’s doing great! I hope he stays to build a lasting legacy of over-priced donkeys finishing mid-table 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Keegan to Newcastle take 1 – that was awesome

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Gooners abusing Wenger this season!

allthepies
    Free Member

I wish Woy well but in the press conf yesterday he did have that rabbit-in-headlights startled look he developed at the end of his LFC reign 😀

schnullelieber
    Free Member

Venables did alright for England.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

that rabbit-in-headlights startled look

Probably brought on because of the very unexpected £10m contract he had just signed.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

I seem to recall United fans baying for SAF’s blood after his first couple of seasons…
    QED, fans know jack 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

Wasn’t he about one game away from getting the boot ? I think Mark Robins saved his bacon ( 😉 ) with a goal in the FA Cup.

Fergie disputes this though:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/6444173/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Mark-Robins-goal-for-Manchester-United-did-not-save-my-job.html

convert

I can’t be the only person that see’s the fact that they did not even both interviewing ‘arry is a deliberate snub and an implication that those in the know realise he “got away with it” and was not proven to be guilty rather than actually proven to be innocent.

binners

Convert! That’s a scandalous accusation!!! Don’t tell me that you’ve never set up a bank account up in a tax haven, in the name of your dog, to take advantage of some overseas investment opportunities your mates are passing on to you?

We’ve all done it! There’s clearly nothing dubious about it whatsoever

portlyone

Anyway, poor ‘Arry can’t read or write so it’s not his fault.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I thought his dog did it?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I can’t be the only person that see’s the fact that they did not even both interviewing ‘arry is a deliberate snub and an implication that those in the know realise he “got away with it” and was not proven to be guilty rather than actually proven to be innocent.

Nail. Head. Hit quite firmly.

BermBandit
    Free Member

I just hope everyone, press, fans, the FA and most of all the players give the guy a chance. Look at the successful managers SAF, Arsing Whinger, Sir Bobby Robson even, all have been given time and a run at the job which has allowed them to get through the problems and then build. It is already too late for the Europeans, Hodgson has no real chance of majorly influencing what happens there. The next World Cup will be down to him if he makes it that far.

Personally I reckon they’ll be burning images in the street by August unfortunately.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘The "fans' choice"; has it ever been right?’ is closed to new replies.