Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The best thing about road biking is…
  • tracknicko
    Free Member

Getting back on your summer bike for the first time after a winter of grinding round on the winter bike.

Best way to appreciate your kit for sure, felt like a bloody rocket ship!

Roll on summer!

scaredypants

the cheery waves from passing motorists ?

tracknicko
    Free Member

couldn’t see any motorists through the flow of snot and general effluvia coming off my happy little face.

scruzer
    Free Member

Light, fast and clean! I know the feeling well after dragging mine out of the loft just last week!

tracknicko
    Free Member

one more reason for having a proper full lengthed-guarded winter bike.

jesus non deep-drop brakes are good tho! two lock ups and one near over the bars!

OmarLittle
    Free Member

i only have the 1 road bike so miss out on these joys

however the last couple of times i’ve went out i’ve not had to clean down the bike after the ride…what a treat that is!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Hey up Mr Nick, you well?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Just got the Madone ready for a spin tomorrow.Come around the first corner to much power and the thing will move all over the place till i get use to the lightness again.+bibs shorts great.

MrGreedy

Oh yes, the Sunday best bike is coming out this weekend – can’t wait!

crikey
    Free Member

The best thing about road biking is that 3 hours on the road bike is 3 hours riding, not 2 hours riding and 1 hour faffing or standing about talking about rubbish.

ahwiles
    Free Member

followed by 2 hours of cleaning and ‘preventative maintenance’…

tracknicko
    Free Member

Alright mattykins? Im grand ta.

Back on topic I couldn’t agree more about the time spent thing.

30s out the door and im crying with the effort, all the way till I get back in the door again.

Zero faff, beautiful peaks. Even met a nice dog at stanage.

rOcKeTdOg

cake

(but that goes for all bike riding)

Digger90
    Free Member

‘Tis a wonderful feeling is it not?

I got my carbon Colnago with Campy Record out last weekend from its winter hibernation.

So fast, so smooth,

YUMMALICIOUS!

GW
    Free Member

Did you lick it clean after?

armchairbiker

…not worrying about my rapha kit getting wreaked

(please don’t abuse me for being a rapha fan!)

samuri
    Free Member

he he! You guys and your summer bikes.
    Been riding my best road bike all winter. Still looks fine. Still rides fine.

Storing a nice bike in the garage for nice days? No thanks.

bol

I rode my road bike for the first time since before Christmas just now. It did feel very fast, snappy and smooth. It’s my year-round bike, but I’d been enjoying the MTBs a lot more. Think I got the bug again tonight though. The best thing – instand speed up hill.

wallop

…..getting back on my MTB afterwards

tracknicko
    Free Member

Heathen!
    Summer bike all year? Road salt and snow and ice on carbon? Eff that.
    And what about your kit? Must get wrecked! Salty chamois? Not for me.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

That baby smooth stretch of tarmac that has recently been laid just outside of town.
    The zone you get into whilst one is giving it the beans.
    Solcial Saturday club rides.
    Cake and coffee.
    zipping through the traffic in rush hour.
    Long solo rides.
    Long group rides.

And yes 3 hours out of the house is 3 hours riding. I am not blessed with the Afan forest on my doorstep and local stuff is shite to be perfectly honest. However there are shite loads of roads.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Getting back on your summer bike for the first time after a winter of grinding round on the winter bike.

Nah If its a dry day with dry roads my “summer” bike gets used no matter what the season. Its too good to keep just for six months of the year plus its got my power meter on it. “Winter” bike with full guards gets used if its wet again at any time of year.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

We were out yesterday over the Snake from Glossop. Beautiful day. Coffee and cake in Hope then back over Mam Nick.

tracknicko
    Free Member

ahh i see. will let you off then.

there is somethign fantastic about wheeling out the carbon though after 5 months off it – summer bike even has a pro 3 on it so it sounds fast!

There is SO much salt on the roads round here in winter (and such changeable weather) that i wouldn’t want to risk it on a single dryish day.

globalti
    Free Member

I rode the Cape Argus race in Cape Town two weeks ago and am feeling strong and fit so this weekend it will be dry tarmac, the wind in my ears, a swooping descent of my favourite hill, coffee and scones in Dunsop Bridge, curlews on the moors, distant views of the Fylde coast and Blackpool Tower, then home for a hot shower and no need to clean the bike beyond a wipe down with a damp rag and check the tyres. Bliss.

13thfloormonk

No summer bike to look forward to, but I’m hoping the combined effect of putting the posh tyres, posh pedals and posh shoes back on will make it feel like a summer bike 🙄

rossi46
    Free Member

The best thing about road biking is that 3 hours on the road bike is 3 hours riding, not 2 hours riding and 1 hour faffing or standing about talking about rubbish.

Isnt that one of the joys of mountain biking and why us mountain bikers are more social beasties?
    My road bike is an old GT Avalanche with slick tyres and road gearing on- it means i can still go through the woods if i want to 😉 i miss the trees 😆

tarquin
    Free Member

I like getting changed, bike out the garage, ride round for an hour, back home, bike away and into the shower.

No 30 min’s to 1 hour drive at either end to get to a good ride.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

No summer bike here either but I have taken off the full metal mud guards and popped a carbon post, fork and carbon wheels back on. All of this has chopped well over 2kg off of the weight of the bike and couple that with the loss of 12kg of lard off of my ass since September and it feels good.

No work today and sunshine this afternoon. 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘The best thing about road biking is…’ is closed to new replies.