Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)
  • The 2016 Festive 500 thread
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Details here.

Who’s in?

What with family time proper outdoor riding over xmas is going to need meticulous planning and a fair bit of negotiation but I’ll hopefully get to do it this year 🙂

epo-aholic
    Free Member

just signed up…..finally managed it last year after years of illness/bad weather over the festive period.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Nah, done it for the last few years.

Time for me to do something else.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yeah me and crashtestmonkey hoping to do it! Although we are racing CX on Boxing Day so that’s a day of 7 miles total! Can’t really go out and do 60 so miles on Christmas Day. we don’t have family commitments so free to ride but still hard work squeezing it all in! Should be a good fun challenge though.

BadlyWiredDog

Yep, had a break last year, but did the two before that. I think I’ll do it mostly on the road this year though. I had an absurd day a couple of years ago pushing a mountain bike through snow drifts over Cut Gate. It was ‘interesting’…

beej

Can I do it on Zwift?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

Can I do it on Zwift?

pmsl 😀

superjohn71
    Free Member

Just signed up. Going to be struggle given my current fitness level, but I’m up for a shot at it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The really neat thing about this event is most people you see out on the road are doing the same thing.

warton
    Free Member

Nah, doesn’t float my boat. I can imagine I would do it if I didn’t have kids, but for me, a precious week off at Christmas with them means playing with them, trips out and eating and drinking lots.

good luck to all that take it on, i hope the weather gods are kind 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

We’re going to do it again.

This time we’re going to do it in Mallorca though, so hopefully no weather like this. 🙂

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

Did over 900km last year whilst working 9-5 and not riding Christmas Day. Definately going to try and beat it this year but I shall not ride Christmas Day again. I just find this motivates me enough to get out there for some reason. Must be that pathetic little roundel sent out as a reward.

crazy-legs

This time we’re going to do it in Mallorca though, so hopefully no weather like this.

The rain might be slightly warmer. 😉

I’ve done it every year – I did have plans for an imperial 500 a year or two ago but couldn’t be bothered in the end and just made do with the 500km.

My usual plan is to try and get as much done on Christmas Eve / Boxing Day as possible to buy myself a bit of leeway the rest of the week. I like to finish off with a big ride in the Lake District on Dec 30th or 31st.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Racing CX on Boxing Day and New Year’s Eve are going to hamper my plans a bit! Guess I’ll have knackered legs for racing and a few big days out elsewhere!!

alwillis

Hoping to manage it at the first proper attempt this year. I’ve planned all the family visits for a couple of days in the middle, the rest is riding time in prep for the ‘puffer!

bob_summers

Probably. I’ve done all of them so far, I think. It’s a nice idea if you’ve got nowt else on. We’re always away after boxing day, so I’ve always done most of it beforehand, with 50 or 80k remaining to knock it off on nye.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Failed so far but alwasy game to give it a go , depends on the weather

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In again but so far my record has been
    Broken
    2012 – Broken
    2013 – Hosting Parents for Christmas
    2014 – Suprise return to the UK no road bike
    2015 – Too Damm Hot!

Lets see what excuse I find this year

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Well, this is how just promoted it on a club page…

yes it’s that time of year when those of us who have accepted we inhabit the middle of the Rapha W*nker and Strava W*nker Venn Diagram sign up to ride 500km over crimbo limbo week for the sake of a free square-inch sized embroidered patch.

So enough of the hard sell, who’s in

pondo

Does it have to be 100% cycled or does driving to work count?

bob_summers

Didn’t they knock the patch on the head? Can’t remember getting one last year.

DezB
    Free Member

No, but I wouldn’t mind the prize…

jekkyl

is this a roadie thing? couldn’t think of anything worse than 500km on the road over xmas.

Buzzard
    Free Member

I’m in for the first time – inspired by the Pips – although I’m slightly against the Rapha/Strava aspect of this so may not “sign up” as it were.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ll probably give it a whirl. I did around 625km last year then didn’t ride for pretty much all of January. So I think toning it down a touch might be a better idea this year.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

richpips – that is cheating!! Almost as bad as the Southern Hemisphere guys!! 😀

I am in again of course. Planning on cycling to Bethlehem on Christmas Day again.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Well, I’ve entered, but find it highly unlikely i’ll actually complete it.
    Having ruined myself in Corsica last week in September, ruined myself again at Relentless last week in October, and then taken November off, I doubt I’ll have the speed or endurance to be knocking out 500km in a week.
    And that’s before getting round to the likelihood of half suitable weather.

sundaywobbler

I’m in. I think I remember signing up for it for the last couple of years but never managed to achieve anywhere near the amount of distance required.

Concerted effort this year to get it done, that and I’ve got a Mrs who doesn’t seem to mind me spending hours on my bike 🙂 she’s a keeper!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well, this is how just promoted it on a club page…

I think that just about sums it up 🙂

Can I do it on Zwift?

If turbo kilometres counted it’d be easy. But they don’t 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Bob, last year was my first year (only signed up to Strava then) and I got a patch, and blurb says there’s one this year.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just signed up for this

I’ll give it a go, if I do it great, if not..

always next year

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sod it, I’ve joined. Is it too early to start making excuses?

beej

If turbo kilometres counted it’d be easy. But they don’t

Hey, I did 50km and 1000m of climbing last night, I’m sure it was a genuine representation of the time and effort needed to do that in the “real world”.

😆

TiRed

In. Have a decent ride planned for my visit to Devon, will try and get a few 100Km off early.

richpips
    Free Member

richpips – that is cheating!! Almost as bad as the Southern Hemisphere guys!!

He’s earned an easy one.

crazy-legs

Starting to try and plan rides now and also looking at the long-range weather forecast which is looking thoroughly miserable for Christmas Eve & Day. 🙁

Got a vague plan to ride home from my Dad’s house which is about 210km but that is definitely going to be dependent on weather and wind direction!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well having started the thread it’s looking pretty unlikely here. Family down for xmas, away for NY, and Mrs B working between xmas and NY so I’ll be looking after the kids (my 4 and 2 year olds not quite mini-minipips yet!) It’s probably the toughest time of year to find the time to ride. Who’s up for a belated Festive 500 sometime early Jan 🙂

richpips
    Free Member

18 degrees in Pollença on Saturday is the forecast. 😆

larrydavid
    Free Member

Failed last year, will try again and fail again this year.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’m in. Did it in 2014 and swore never again…
    Got a quiet Christmas planned so no real excuses. Yet. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘The 2016 Festive 500 thread’ is closed to new replies.