Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • tell me where the cobbles are at
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m doing the Paris Roubaix challenge thing in a few weeks and I’m looking for long stretches of cobbles in the manchester/lancs area that I can include in a few training rides. Doesn’t have to be hilly, but ideally quite a long uninterrupted stretch.

There’s loads near me, but nothing much longer than a few hundred metres.

cheers!

iainc

terrahawk – has the Islabike arrived ok ?

cheers

terrahawk
    Free Member

it has – today. I’ve not seen it yet cos I’m at work and it’s still in it’s box away from ‘prying eyes’ 😉

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’m doing that.
    but it’s a week before the French thing so need something a bit sooner.

iainc

it has – today. I’ve not seen it yet cos I’m at work and it’s still in it’s box away from ‘prying eyes’

Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post
    great stuff, glad it’s arrived, cheers

wwaswas

zip tie some to a set of rollers?

Duc
    Free Member

That’ll be the Boonen rollers !
    Some quick step textured floor lino glued to the rollers to give that “riding on cobbles effect”
    Isn’t “Swiss Hill” somewhere up in that neck of the woods (although me be south Manchester cheshire to be fair) used to be on the Cheshire cat route

terrahawk
    Free Member

Swiss Hill is a bit smooth and short really.
    I thinking long and straight and flat and big-ringy.;-)

Junkyard
    Free Member

only short stretches these days and a few of them but nothing to prepare you for that

warton
    Free Member

I’m going over to do the best bits of Paris Roubaix, the day before we do the tour of flanders sportive…. walking up the Kappelmuur on sunday may be tricky….

ourmaninthenorth

terra – tbh there isn’t anywhere that I know of, and I’m always seeking out cobbles to break me and my bike on.

I’ve not ridden the cobbles of Roubaix, but have done Flanders a few times. Nothing really prepares you for the vibration, jellied-vision and pain in the nuts that a long stretch of cobbles gives you.

Last year, I wore Giordana shorts, which have a very comfortable but slightly thin pad. It was just as well the Mrs was already pregnant by that time, as I was convinced they would be the end of my manhood….

ourmaninthenorth

walking up the Kappelmuur on sunday may be tricky….

If you’re doing tyhe full edition, it will be clear enough to ride when you get there.

If you’re doing the short edition, you need to be able to do two things:

1. Track stand

2. Swear in several languages to get the two-abrest walkers out of your ****ing way..!

(Actually, the Paterberg is busier, IME.)

terrahawk
    Free Member

Rooley Moor Road on a road bike it is then 😯

there’s also that bit on the ‘big’ HTN course that’s pretty rough cobbles – past the angry dog farm.

ourmaninthenorth

there’s also that bit on the ‘big’ HTN course that’s pretty rough cobbles – past the angry dog farm.

Like newly laid tarmac, that is…. 😀

warton
    Free Member

doing the middle 85 mile one, I was referring to walking up to watch the actual race!

warton
    Free Member

Like newly laid tarmac, that is

By all accounts, as you well know nohing prepares you for the size of the cobbles in northern france, I heard them descibed as ‘like loaves of bread’ once

ourmaninthenorth

Oh, for a short steep try on cobbles (more for the RvVists), there’s a short rise in central Manchester that’s good for some wet cobbled climbing practice (Jutland St – between Ducie St and Store St round the back of Picc station).

ourmaninthenorth

I was referring to walking up to watch the actual race!

Get there early and straight into the beer tent at the top.

Then, once they’ve been through, leg it to Geraardsbergen, and get up the Muur near to the chapel (you can approach round the back of the Grammont). Once they’ve passed through there, run down the hill to the main square and watchb the finish on the big screen.

I love classics week (can you tell?). 😀

ourmaninthenorth

doing the middle 85 mile one,

Best one, IMO. Full edition is a proper big day out (last year we had heavy rain, incessant wind (obviously), sunshine, mud, more mud, crashes and big sh*teating grins at the end.

Middle one has the best atmosphere with loads of spectators and amazing jammed climbs (Patterberg especially, and Koppenberg). Being hollered at to make it up the Kapelmuur is a pretty special experience. Must be ace for the first riders over in the real thing.

Hophophop..!

ton

the black arrows on hermit hole are one hell of a cobbled climb.
    a proper tough hell of the north type climb

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

ourkidsam
    Free Member

It might be a bit far but you could do laps of Chesterfield market square of an evening

plumber
    Free Member

Between the park at Ramsbottom and comes out at summerseat

go from carpark at the park – near rangers hut

down the lane with big rocky banks to left hand side

over bridge

continue up past house on right through the trees

look left and on to footpath

down and up steepish bit for 100m

next footpath is all cobbles until you end up in summerseat

Or I could just show you

Also

for the masachistic

walmsley old road (past pub on left where the Nangreaves sign is)up to Nangreaves (lord ragley pub?) – is bumpity bump cobbles for a long way then tarmac than more cobbles – this is a fair incline in parts and a good test up and down

Good luck either way

tony_m
    Free Member

Oh, for a short steep try on cobbles (more for the RvVists), there’s a short rise in central Manchester that’s good for some wet cobbled climbing practice (Jutland St – between Ducie St and Store St round the back of Picc station).

Also watch out for the oil left behind from various smashed sumps!

Cracking little street, and the Jolly Angler not far away… 8)

aP
    Free Member

I wonder if my special friend will mind me driving a 500 mile round trip up to Lancashire and back for a quick cycle ride on the day of her birthday? I suspect the answer will be no. The rapha hotn had better be good the following weekend.

MrSparkle

Jase – the M65 near Darwen is cobbled… :0)

big_n_daft
    Free Member

back of Hare and Hounds to Holcombe

Bury Old Road (near Duckworth Arms)

Rooley Moor Road

Rammy brewery

Lord raglan

Rammy to summerseat

Edenfield to Stubbins

etc lots if you look for it

izakimak
    Free Member

georges lane at rivvy, if you go from the pigeon tower towards belmont rd its about a mile each way i would have thought, not steep but it will rattle your fillings out on a cross bike.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Done Roubaix a couple of times and as others have said, nothing prepares you for the cobbles. Best I could do was to go out on the cross bike with the tyres wacked right up and find the roughest bits of track and road for six hours. Bedgebury was actually very good to train on. Unlike others, the main pain I got came from the muscles in my forearms vibrating so much. Very painful. Everything else was fine.
    ToFl cobbles are not so bad. The only time they get painful is on the couple of downhill sections.
    Doing Roubaix again next year. 70 Euros to do the ‘Challenge’ this year is way too much. Only 15 for the full distance event last year.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘tell me where the cobbles are at’ is closed to new replies.