Home Forums Chat Forum Tell me about Wharncliffe Side and Oughtibridge

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tell me about Wharncliffe Side and Oughtibridge
  • teenrat

Looks like we’ll be moving to Sheffield. Work would be in Stocksbridge and we have picked out Wharncliffe and Oughtibridge as potential places to live. What are transport links like?- id probably be riding into stocksbridge, but the GF would most likely be working in Sheffield – what are the buses/trains like into the city centre. We are after somewhere with a village feel, a couple a local pubs, countryside on the doorstep, but good links for nights out etc.

Are there any other areas that fit the bill? Rivelin/Loxley area could also be an option, but ive noticed that house prices begin to increase as you get to the West/South West of the city centre.

woodnut
    Free Member

Oughtibridge pretty much perfect for what you are after. Transport links pretty good with a link bus to the Supertram to get you to Sheffield. Easy road ride along the valley bottom into Stocksbridge, or via Wharncliffe Woods for an off road route. Loxley not much more expensive than Oughtibridge, Wharnecliffe Side a little cheaper, as there’s more of a mix of housing there. Grenoside good for ride to Stocksbridge, and nice enough place, plenty of buses into Sheffield but not as regular / reliable IME.

antigee
    Free Member

lived in Wharncliffe Side until 2012 and it is a small village with not a lot other than a Pub (2nd one shut I think) Post office and Chinese take away but might be out of date – good running, walkin, great cycling, sleeping – good nursery/primary school if on future agenda – as said supertram link buses good for quick access both out to stocksbridge and in to middlewood to connect to trams Oughtibrdge double the facilities and add the cricket club and some community events

the A6102 is a challenging cycle commute – not for the nervous – its narrow and very busy at peak times and requires a forthright style – not trying to put off – just worth looking at if not used to that type of riding plenty of people do it – options thru woods are excellent but take a lot longer

one outside option for working in Stocksbridge is living in Penistone – no decent links to Sheffield but 30minute train ride to Huddersfield depending on GF’s work options – Small town but think in past a few on here have praised living there

skiprat
    Free Member

Used to live in Oughtibridge early 2000’s.

Nice little village with easy links into town. Depending on where you buy, you could flood. When i left they were building lots of houses in the bottom on/next to the sports field and park. This was always very wet in winter and would hold water. On the hills you are ok. Good riding on your door step and close to some great countryside.

Small village so usual small village problems, everyone knows each others business and people end up sleeping with other peoples partners (not me by the way but i can tell you more if you need).

On the whole a nice place with nice people and good pubs, just don’t spend lots of time in there or you may lose more than just money.

Baldysquirt

We’re in Oughtibridge and have lived here since 2013. Really like it – after being in Hillsborough before, the transport can be frustrating, but you can still get into town in 30mins on a good day and it’s generally pretty good for rush hour commuting. Less so later in the day when it’s not unknown for it to take me an hour to get home. It’s only 30mins on the bike as well.

It’s a lovely village – not a lot of services – post office, chemist, 3 small shops and 4 pubs. We live on a quiet road up the hill a bit and have lovely neighbors (which helps), have great views across the valley to wharncliffe, and good riding on the doorstep.

evh22
    Free Member

We live in Rivelin. I’d like to move but the area is just too convenient. Much easier to get into Sheffield as tram stop right there on your doorstep. Riding to stanage is now virtually all off road on fantastic trails. Local shops (including supermarket) offer all you need. May depend on the commuting times each way. The downside is that it’s not a village, and doesn’t feel like one. It’s noisy at night too. If you move out towards Loxley it might feel a bit more village like and you can get a house with a nice view but it’s a small place so house choices are harder and it’s not really a village. Stannington is quite a mixed area. There’s a bus that links in with the tram though.

Oughtibridge has a nice cycle path through the woods for the summer months to get to hillsborough although after that it’s not that nice. You could go to deepcar in the other direction on the TPT. I’d probably cycle on the pavement if i went on the road. The villages up near Midhope look lovely but a bit remote.

If you are interested in schools, the secondary school at Oughtibridge is good. The one at Stannington not so good. Loxley and Bradfield have good schools as, i think does oughtibridge.

To get from Oughtibridge to town will involve a bus then a tram connection at Middlewood. I suspect it would take 40 mins ish. The tram is great. Lots of nice walks and rides on your doorstep in Oughtibridge. There’s grenoside as well but the transport links to town may not be so good. That feels to me most like a village in sheffield.

jackthedog
    Free Member

To echo something mentioned above…

Cycle commuting between Oughtibridge and Stocksbridge looks simple enough on the map, but in reality it’s hideous. Towards Stocksbridge it’s one long steady climb along a busy, 60mph A-road with no escape route to your left besides a muddy, rocky, branch strewn bank.

Better to get something with knobbly tyres and mudguards and ride through Wharncliffe Woods.

antigee
    Free Member

skiprat – Member
    Used to live in Oughtibridge early 2000’s.

… Depending on where you buy, you could flood. When i left they were building lots of houses in the bottom on/next to the sports field and park…. On the hills you are ok…

run off is a problem as well – houses that may not appear to be flood prone might well get water straight thru them as it runs down the roads big time and goes somewhere – worth asking around on this or asking vendor pointed questions

teenrat

Cheers Guys, some useful info there. I work in flooding, so house buying and flooding is one of the first things i consider.

dogthomson

Have you thought about Chapeltown? Not too far from Stocksbridge and has good transport links with a train station going to Meadowhall/Sheffield one way and Barnsley/Manchester t’other. Plus it’s right on J35 of the M1, you can easily ride to Greno/Wharncliffe and there’s a fair few decent watering holes about too.

Just a thought.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Wharncliffe Side and Oughtibridge’ is closed to new replies.