Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tell me about Stan's ZTR rims
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I'm going to order a set of Hope Hoops and I'm thinking the ZTR rims look a good option, what with tubeless adaptability. I'm just not sure which option is best – the 355 or the Flow.

I do trail and XC riding (and the odd enduro) and attempt drop-offs to a max of 5 ft or so. I definitely want a strong wheelset in case I get more bottle in the future, but I like the idea of the weight-saving of the 355.

Hope's site says the 355 takes a tyre up to 2.1" but I'd want to run up to 2.4" tyres – surely they'd take this width? I just think the Flow rims might be overkill for my riding.

What would you go for?

simondbarnes

For the riding you describe definitely flows.

Dougal
    Free Member

355 runs a lot bigger than 2.1, I've certainly run 2.3s on the narrower Olympic rim, without the tyre profile getting so round as to wash out on loose gravel.

I've had my Olympics for over two years of constant use. Have only dinged them recently, nothing that couldn't be straightened with a small amount of leverage from a screwdriver.

Definitely a recommend purchase (and having bought a mavic rim at current prices, not that terrible value for what I think is a stronger rim).

blackhat
    Free Member

Happy user of 355 with tyres wider than you state – mind you I'm no drop-off merchant. Think I'd go Flows.

Anthony
    Free Member

2.4" tyres and 5' drops, the Flow's for sure.

The flow still isn't that heavy.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Those are my upper limits. 2.3" and technical trails are the norm. Still, like has been said, Flows are not heavy anyway.

julianwilson
    Free Member

if you have qr fork, merlin are doing a good deal on flow rims/xt qr 6 bolt hubs.

Sam

Agree with recommendations for Flows, I've bent a couple of 355's and I'm very much a wheels on the ground kinda guy.

neilforrow

flows. at 450g they are light and strong.

have a read of this:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tubeless-pro-ii-stans-flow-mini-review

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love my flow rims. 450ish isn't heavy by any stretch. The other thing is, they make tyres feel wider because of the width of the rim. A 2.1 on a flow feels the same as a 2.3 on a 355. Remember, metal is lighter than rubber.

cynic-al
    Free Member

olympics here. 2.4 has been ok at high pressures. Rolled off when I landed with the front wheel squint. 5' drops (at Caddon Bank) ok too.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I run flow rims on my DH bike, and they're flawless! Highly recommended! They weigh about as much as DT 5.1s, and are a sight stronger! You'll never want for anything more!

andyl46
    Free Member

Flows. They give tyres a nice profile.

RealMan
    Free Member

Using the 355s, and have run 2.2 rubber queens on them no probs. Love them, but although it sounds like we do similar riding, I'm very light. If I wasn't, I would've gone for the flows.

Swiftacular
    Free Member

I just got a set of flows to replace 819's, and they do give a much nicer tyre profile on 2.25's. Also inflated tubeless even easier than the Mavics.

radoggair
    Free Member

run 355's here and lets just say i dont take it easy on the downs , and had no probs whatsoever

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about Stan's ZTR rims’ is closed to new replies.