Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Tell me about – Skoda Octavia VRS
  • UncleFred
    Free Member

Been offered one as a swap for my existing car. 2002 112k Immaculate with Full Service History, receipts for every single penny ever spent on it. Cambelts done.

What are they like to live with? Any other things to look out for.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Bit like a Golf. Or Bora to be more precise; same chassis.

Had a 1.9Tdi estate a few years back; great car until engine went catastrophically wrong!! I was unlucky as that unit is very solid normally.

Edit: Look out for Air Mass sensor failure; fairly straightforward to fix.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Awesome. That is all.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

They go like greased jobbies off a teflon shovel.

mboy
    Free Member

Carry a spare coil pack or 2 cos they’re known to pack up without warning. Otherwise, great cars! Like a Golf, only bigger, cheaper and more fun!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Had mine for almost three years. Mine is a 2.0 TDI. MKII

The best car I have had. Would get another without hesitation. GF has a golf. The Octavia is way better.

2002 will be mark 1. Should be good for a few thou more miles. Get it checked out before you shake on the deal.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

That Octavia vRS isn’t a diesel. Tested one a while back and was fairly impressed. Best use of the VAG 1.8 turbo engine.

Jason
    Free Member

I had one from new on a 51 plate. I did about 120k miles in it over four years. A very good car, I couldn’t really fault it. While I had it I think all it needed was a new water pump, plus it had the coil packs changed as part of a re-call. The only negatives I found was that the front spoiler is very low and would catch on steep driveways, and the silver centres to the seat got dirty very quickly.

c00ke5ter
    Free Member

Had a 4x4turbo back in 2001, ran to 93k. Tuned to approx 220bhp, tracked it, country laned it, played with scoobies with it, abused it, loved it.

Took a passenger in that car, who then bought one, and he started / I named what is now the largest Skoda resource on the web, between a handful of us we, very slowly, changed perceptions of many people we came across.

Worked with a friend to strip *everything* that wasn’t bolted down, and some things that were, from an Octy RS. Tuned it up to around 260bhp, tracked it, upset 911 GT3’s, ran on slicks, broke bits, upgraded bits, removed more bits….

Many years and cars later, needed a family hack, so have another 4x4turbo now. *Still* think they are a cracking motor, more fun than other cars based on the same platform.

What to look out for? Cambelt done is good news, but check plastic impeller water pump was swapped for metal update at same time. Coil packs were weak, but would have failed / replaced by now. CV joints and wheelbearings can be weak, especailly front left if abused. Drop link bushes on anti-roll bars will have gone or been replaced. Lumpy idle can point to faulty MAF, tho this can be cleaned with a soak in white spirit. Gearbox pretty strong, but thrust bearing on clutch can go. Plastic dump valve can fail, worth upgrading but *don’t* dump boost to atmosphere, they never run right. Oil galleys are very slender, so if not serviced regularly they can gum up, which can lead to seals on turbo going. Handbrake cable (and release on rear calipers) can seize if not lubricated.

Design Downsides? On the hatch, water collects and drains into boot when opening. Front subframe can struggle to keep alignment if driven hard. Aluminium sump is soft and low, too easy to remove so fit sump guard if likely to catch. Standard stereo is rubbish, especially painful tweeters in front of rear doors.

Hope that helps.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a 4×4 turbo,same engine as vrs,Blown a coil pack and had some new front disks and pads fitted in my 3 years of ownership.
    Vrs is a very good car,Get it remapped makes it into a flying machine,Only other thing is if it has the white part in the seats,they are a nightmare to keep clean.
    Also pop the panels off under the windscreen and check that the drains into the wings are free from debris and leaves,if they block it allows water to run into the passenger footwell.
    As above,have a sump guard fitted they are very low and are made of aluminium so dont like being bumped to often.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Awesome guys..sounds like I could be getting a good deal. From the pics I’ve seen it looks pristine and the guy who has it sounds like he’s an enthusiastic owner who’s really kept on top of everything.

tall_martin

I bought one at 60k, its at 100k now and I’m very happy with it.

It had the 220bhp done before I got it and its great:)

Big enough (with careful packing) for 3 folk, 3 bikes and camping gear for a weekend, easy enough to park with parking sensors, cheap on bits, ok to work on, up to 46mpg if driven with a very light foot on long distances or ~40 if not.

fast
    practical
    cheap
    Comfy

I love it:)

-m-
    Free Member

That Octavia vRS isn’t a diesel.

Well, that’s half right. The petrol vRS definitely isn’t a diesel.

Mk I vRS: 1.8T 180bhp petrol
    Mk II vRS: 2.0T 200bhp petrol or 2.0TDi 170bhp diesel

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I love my diesel Vrs. 24,000 miles in at just over a year old it is surprisingly comfy on long journeys even with its slightly firm ride and sporty seats.

I was lucky enough to get the Limited Edition version – basically the last body with pimpy things thrown in (nice wheels, nice seats, CR engine, better stereo etc) with a discount amounting to NO VAT too.

50mpg every day of the week too.

Spud

Will be getting rid of mine (170bhp diesel) in 4 months when the lease runs out, been a great car. Always puts a smile on my face. If you can find a LTD version then get one, I tried to persuade my wife to chop her Fabia vRS for one but she had none of it. You won’t be disappointed.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

FS – OCTAVIA 1.8 Turbo 4×4 for sale 75k Miles

bazzer
    Free Member

I have had my 04 plate Vrs estate from new, its done 117K hard miles in that time.

Used it to transport bikes all over the UK and europe and also to tow my Westfield Track car all around the UK and europe.

Had a few bits of work done in that time

Both front wheel bearings
    Windscreen wiper motor and linkage.
    Front anti roll bar and mountings.
    Rear high level brake light.

Pros
    Fast enough for road driving.
    Huge boot (4 bikes on roof and 4 people in car)
    Pretty comfy

Cons
    Not the most economical compared to a modern performance diesel.
    Really really crap stereo.
    interior a little plasticy.
    Estate quite boomy.

But a really good car that does exactly what it says on the tin. I was following a MKII this morning and though about just getting a MKII Estate to replace this one. I do fancy a 530d touring but fot the extra money I am not sure I would get that much more out of it.

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

m – I said “that” diesel, clearly referring to the mk1 in the OPs post. Poor effort.

-m-
    Free Member

clearly referring to the mk1 in the OPs post. Poor effort.

Hmmm… I think it’s arguable that your use of ‘that’ as a demonstrative pronoun is the ‘poor effort’ 😉

tron
    Free Member

TBH I don’t get why everyone on here bangs on about the Octavia VRS, when the Leon Cupra has more power and a hatchback.

Both are based on the VAG A4 platform that’s used by the MK4 Golf, TT, A3 etc.

I’d love to know what they were thinking when they put those white / silver panels in the VRS’ seats too 😆

Edit: Just twigged that the Octavia is a hatch that does a decent job of looking like a saloon, not an actual Saloon like a Bora.

binners

None of this diesel nonsense please. The vRS 1.8 turbo petrol is where its at. Great cars. Had mine for 3 years and its never missed a beat. They’re silly quick. I’ve been in a chipped one too and that was insane.

Get one on a fast twisty A road and they’re an absolute hoot.

Practicality-wise: Its an Octavia. Nuff said

The only complaint I had is the stupid front bumper/spoiler which sits about half an inch off the road. I’ve been reliably informed it looks suitably intimidating while your sat right up someone’s arse on an A road. Its an absolute pain when you grind it on every kerb, speedbump and multi-story ramp

I’d buy another one tomorrow though

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate has the 1.8T vRS of a similar vintage, with something like 140k on it. It’s got few niggly faults – dodgy aircon fan, bit of trim hanging off the outside by the windscreen, it had some idling problem, and it drinks oil apparently.

Personally I think they’re friggin ugly, but can’t fault the motor – loads of torque like a diesel, but revs high. Only about 35mpg tho as opposed to 50+ from the diesel 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

-m- come on, you tried to trip me up and failed. I win, you lose 😆

bazzer
    Free Member

I wish I got 35mpg out of mine.

Not wanting to sound like Mat here (Sorry mat :-)) but …
    you guys need a trip in a propper fast car if you think a Vrs is fast 🙂

Tron, you are so right about the Leon Cupra, my wife had one a from new a few years ago. Much nicer to drive than my Vrs Estate, though I have been told the Vrs Saloon is stiffer than the Leon and a better drive, but I have not driven one so its hearsay. Leon much better put together than my Vrs, little couches like the leon had a gas strut on the bonnet etc.

Still like the Vrs though, but I see it more of a work horse than a fun car.

Bazzer

molgrips
    Free Member

you guys need a trip in a propper fast car if you think a Vrs is fast

Car nobs fail to understand that ‘fast’ is a relative term. When you drive around in 100bhp cars all the time, then a 180bhp vRS IS fast.

you tried to trip me up and failed

Mat, you’re seeing things as a competition again…

Jakester
    Free Member

I have the Mk1 estate.

Apart from the coil pack issue (had two pack up in 6 months, and a broken exhaust mounting, no real issues.

Had mine from 35k, now up to 70k. The interior doesn’t wear that well – WHITE seat centre inserts anyone? – and there’s a few rattles (including the handbrake button which simply cannot be fixed and gets on my tits every journey) but those niggles aside, it’s been simply awesome.

When you’re barrelling down a fast b-road and the right overtaking opportunity comes along, it’d take something a fair bit more expensive to shade it’s performance.

Hopefully going to keep it til it dies as the missus’ car, and the only thing putting me off getting a new one as my car is the fact I don’t want two matching cars!

bazzer
    Free Member

Car nobs fail to understand that ‘fast’ is a relative term. When you drive around in 100bhp cars all the time, then a 180bhp vRS IS fast.

molgrips

I make a tounge in cheek remark and you have to be rude and call names. You are right it is all relative. You really have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to cars. Do the big boys take the mick out of your Toyota Pious 🙂

People who like fast cars are not nobs they just have a different hobby to you. You don’t need a fast car to drive like a nob you can do that in a hybrid or an Aston Martin.

I used to do about 3000 track miles a year, so never felt the need to drive like a tit on the road. Not everyone buys a fast car to pose or to tail gate slower cars down the motorway.

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Mol – competition? If someone tries to smart ar5e me and fails, I will laugh at them.

Octy vRS is definitely quite rapid – but a half decent diesel will easily keep up with one.

molgrips
    Free Member

That’s just it. He wasn’t trying to out-smartarse you. He was just pointing something out. The fact that you saw it as an attempt to go one better than you demonstrates the competitive filter through which you see everything.

Just pointing it out, not having a go 🙂

But agree re diesel. There’s a 170bhp 2.0 TDI in the VAG range which would be pretty damn similar to the 1.8T. Similar torque curve, similar power delivery – if you put tape over the rev counter and turned the stereo up really loud you’d never tell – until your fuel light came on 🙂

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I would say that the 170bhp diesel unit in anything not too heavy (e.g. Golf) would be faster than a 180bhp 1.8T in 90% of driving conditions.

Anyway he was trying to smartar5e me – I saw the car was a 2002 which is mk1 and so put “that” vRS clearly meaning that model. I am very aware that the mk2 is also available as a diesel – a couple of them have tried it on fairly recently… Bye bye vRS… 😉

Anyway, back to the topic in hand – good cars. I have tried the Bora and Golf with those engines – the Bora (apparently a “sport”) was utter cr4p and the Golf was dull too. The Octy was a decent machine and handled far better than the other two. The old TT (and S3) have that engine too but tuned up a bit more.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway he was trying to smartar5e me

Really doesn’t look like that to me!

tron
    Free Member

The Octy was a decent machine and handled far better than the other two.

I wonder which suspension setup the Octavia got. The R32, TT, and S3 if I recall correctly all have slightly different suspension arms and hub carriers to the standard A4 chassis which give some pretty decent geometry improvements.

Brycey
    Free Member

“Bye bye vRS”

Mat, I’ve driven a tdi vRS and I don’t see there being many quicker diesels out there in real world driving.

-m-
    Free Member

you tried to trip me up and failed. I win, you lose

Ermmm… if I’d simply said “you’re wrong” or combined it with some incisive cutting insult (as seems to be the norm round here) then I think it would have been fair to say that I’d been trying to trip you up. However, I added some real information just to clarify for the benefit of anyone that was interested in the vRS and was confused.

Still, if it makes you feel happier to think that you’ve “won” something that wasn’t a competition in the first place… 🙄

bazzer
    Free Member

Again my experience is limited to an estate Octy Vrs not a saloon. I drove mine around Llandow race track and I would describe the handling as dull. Masive understeer with the unloaded wheel spinning up when trying to get any drive out of corners. You could basicaly dial in the amount of understeer with the throttle. You could make it over steer but only really by stamping on the brakes when turning in and it pretty much snapped back into line as soon as you came off the brakes.

So basicaly designed to be driven on the road by muppets who don’t know how to control a car on the limit. So safe an sensible, but anoying on a race track.

I am sure a LSD and some way of getting some more -ve camber on the front and it would be a lot more fun. But then it would probably be a lot worse in the real world on the road.

Oh and you could destroy the edge of the loaded tyres in a few laps if you tried (again more -ve camber would probably help with this)

My Turbo Busa Westfield is fantastic on track, but utter shite on the road so I guess its horses for courses.

Still like it as a load lugging road car though, its cheap more than fast enough to make progress on the road.

Bazzer

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Brycey – ahem 335d… 😉

tron – R32 had a 3.2 V6 (I had mk4 one for a year) not a 1.8T unit. Not sure what suspension set up the Octy has but it was easily the best of the three I tried by miles.

The Bora really was a huge disappointment – really poor handling, engine sounded rough and despite 180bhp, it didn’t feel quick at all. This was a low mileage main dealer example too. A shame as I have always liked the look of Boras.

bazzer
    Free Member

Ahh Mat, but when was the last time you wound down the windows going through a tunnel to listen to your 335d 😉

I will probably sucumb to the Diesel barge thing next time I buy a car. Purley down to cost though, I do a lot of miles and they are now prety good cars if a little souless and it will save me money and the habitat of the odd polar bear.

Brycey
    Free Member

Mat – I’ll set them up, you knock them down! 🙂

sam_underhill

My new face lift vRS Estate (petrol) with a 255 bhp remap is ace! More than fast enough, loads of space in the boot for kit and roof rails for the bikes. I can’t think of a more perfect car for my lifestyle.

tron
    Free Member

R32 had a 3.2 V6 (I had mk4 one for a year) not a 1.8T unit

It has, but that’s got nothing to do with the suspension geometry 🙂

VAG basically used a standard and hotted up suspension geometry across the entire range of cars. I did at one point have a fair idea of which cars got which, as a guy from the GTI club was building a Corrado with R32/TT/S3 suspension geometry and explained it all at length.

Oh, and way I say A4, I mean MK4 Golf based, not Audi A4…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Tell me about – Skoda Octavia VRS’ is closed to new replies.