Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Talk to me about Neil Young
  • dogbert
    Free Member

Not heard much of the newer stuff but i read band interviews and Prairie Wind and Chrome Dreams get namechecked a lot

marwal
    Free Member

saw him at pilton a few years ago, just brilliant, springsteen was on the next night which i thought seemed a naff performance after seeing young. bought some ny and crazy horse since. ragged glory and harvest. will checkout some of these other suggestions.

mikey74
    Free Member

After the Goldrush is an amazing album, and the title track is one of my fave tunes.

As someone who got into him via this route, I can strongly recommend the ‘Decades’ compilation as an excellent starting point.

Earl
    Free Member

Used to sing Cortez the Killer to my little girl as her bed time song… when my little boy came along… thats what i named him.

On ‘Sample and Hold’
    Hair : Blond
    Mood -: Rotary Adjustable.

Some good stuff on Greendale too… Be the Rain.

benjbish

I started with Cortez the Killer and Hey, Hey, My, My. An alternative sounding but awesome album by Neil Young is ‘On The Beach’.

All rounds lead to Neil Young, so many artists pay credit to him, a real original.

CountZero

Love Neil, I have a pre-release white label of Decade that I was given just before he perversely cancelled the release of the album, then it finally got a release 18 months later. Saw him at Reading with Mirrorball, which was awesome. According to 6Music he’s reconvened Crazy Horse, so look forward to some great stuff.
    +1 on Sparklehorse, saw them at The Fleece in Bristol. Linkous was absolutely shitfaced, and still managed an extraordinary gig. One of the most memorable gigs I’ve ever been to. Sadly no longer with us. 😥

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Only Love Can Break Your Heart is what first hooked onto Neil Young at a time when I was only listening to black music.

irc

Playing in the street outside Glasgow Central Station in 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1R1zKhcj8

He was appearing at the Glasgow Apollo Theatre on 8/11/76. The following night was the Eagles.

http://www.glasgowapollo.com/index.asp?s_id=1&m_id=14&yr=1976

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I could listen to Harvest on loop all day, Would be really impressed if it got stuck on Heart Of Gold.

Amazing album

SaxonRider

It must be the Canadian-like cold. I’ve been listening to Neil Young for the last number of days.

He’s from the same city as me… which, when that city happens to be in the middle of nowhere and few people have ever heard of it, is a big deal.

sputnik
    Free Member

All his albums are on Spotify, a good place to start if you have it.
    ‘Love to burn’ is one pretty song. Be sure to give it a listen

Reluctant
    Free Member

Where do you start? On The Beach, Tonight’s The Night and Zuma would be my top three, but blinkin’ heck, what a back catalog the man’s got. Even the dross is good, the much slated Re-Actor is one of my faves cos it’s a rough piece of toss-away sh**e, and I love Broken Arrow too even thought the sound quality is awful 😆
    He’s a true maverick who’s never cared what anyone else thinks he should do.

derekrides
    Free Member

Best thing Neil Young ever did, was cause by reaction to ‘Southern Man’ the greatest opening riff of all time to and all round cool tune, Sweet Home Alabama from Lynrd Skynrd.

Was he around on ‘Ohio’ ? Can’t remember, that was a cool protest to the Kent State riots from Crosby Sills etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Best thing Neil Young ever did, was cause by reaction to ‘Southern Man’ the greatest opening riff of all time to and all round cool tune, Sweet Home Alabama from Lynrd Skynrd.

Christ I hope that’s sarcastic, or I’ve misread it…

grievoustim
    Free Member

forget about “more barn” this thread needs “more cowbell”

more cowbell

sorry – can’t embed it

vorlich
    Free Member

On the Beach – Revolution Blues is classic

tony_m
    Free Member

For anyone who fancies some proper NY and Crazy Horse gear pr0n… 8)

”Horse Back”

nickf
    Free Member

I’ve been listening to Neil Young ever since he name-checked Johnny Rotten. He seemed impossibly old at the time, but to be fair he’s looked just about the same for the last three decades……I’ve seen him four times and am constantly amazed at his energy and commitment to the live performance.

Far too hard to pick out even a Top 10.

And let’s agree not to talk about Trans or American Stars ‘N’ Bars …. everyone can make a mistake, and after 40+ albums I reckon his strike rate is still very good.

Reluctant
    Free Member

But……….Trans has a great version of Mr Soul 😀

nickf
    Free Member

Trans has a great version of Mr Soul

Yeeeeees……Trans certainly has a version of Mr Soul.

LapSteel
    Free Member

early neil
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWTqj5lvkFs&feature=related[/video]

mt
    Free Member

“welfare mothers make better lovers”

Junkyard
    Free Member

missed this thread sadly but lots of great stuff of his out there

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Neil Young’ is closed to new replies.