Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Synthetic rugby pitch surface experts – very OT
  • eemy
    Free Member

I’m working on a project installing a 3G synthetic football/rugby pitch. Generally rugby boots with metal studs are not allowed on synthetic pitches, but it seems to be a bit of a grey area.

I should get an answer from the contractor tomorrow and I know it’s a bit of a long shot but do any of you have any experience of playing rugby union/league on a 3G surface and if so were metal studs allowed?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Does anyone play rugby on a synthetic surface?

eemy
    Free Member

There’s a 3G training pitch at Murrayfield, one in Scotstoun and a number elsewhere. It’s all the rage. Grass is so last century.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

training is one thing – actually playing on it?

legend
    Free Member

Only team I know of that uses one is my brothers….. in Boston.

Everyone’s quite happy with it, but iirc only blade type studs are allowed

eemy
    Free Member

Granted it is more football than rugby, when it comes to playing matches – there are a few SFL clubs with synthetic surfaces and a number on the continent. But training or match play aside, I’m keen to hear from anyione who has been allowed to play rugby (match-play or training) with metal studs.

bullheart
    Free Member

Yes. Have a look at Barnsley RFC’s website.

turin
    Free Member

eemy,

i have played on the whateverG pitch at Murrayfiled a couple of times, I and most of the team wore normal boots with full metal studs. It was surprisingly similar to mud, even with the scrums. A couple of the guys tried to wear trainers but not for long.

If there is anything specific you want to ask feel free

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Synthetic rugby pitch surface experts – very OT’ is closed to new replies.