• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by tomd.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Synthetic insulated jackets
  • rascal
    Free Member

I have some Go Outdoors vouchers to use and I think I want one of these, but I’m unsure on which one to get.
    It will be used for when I’m walking as opposed by biking.
    I notice a few people use Montane Flux/Prism even for biking – would they be too warm for high-energy activities like biking?
    GO are doing a Rab Generator Alpine for £100 at the mo – might get my arse down there and try a few on.
    £100 would be my limit.

Any tips?

BadlyWiredDog

They are too warm for active use. If that’s what you want it for, check out the Rab Strata stuff. Not quite as warm as PrimaLoft and similar, but way more breathable. Most synthetic-filled jackets are a sandwich of two windproof fabrics with filling in between, effective you’re wearing two wind proofs with an air-gap between them, not good for staying dry and comfortable unless you run really cool.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Very good as belaying jackets slipped on over your goretex as they don’t spoil when it rains but do keep you warm while your second is making a meal of it.

somouk
    Free Member

As above, normally too warm for biking unless it’s -10 and it’s something like a buffalo shirt worn against the skin.

Make sure you get something with a comfortable fit, some of them have weird fits that I find too restrictive for leaning forward on the bike in.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Mrs Simmo here: I have a Rab Strata hoodie and previously had a north face redpoint jacket. The north face is definitely warmer and I was worried the Rab wouldn’t be warm enough (it’s fine actually) but the redpoint’s lack of hood was impractical for walking to work as I still needed a waterproof as well. I find the Rab jacket about right for walking in (I’m a fast walker so heat up quick and cover 3-5 miles/day), it’s water resistant enough for me not to have to take a waterproof as well on all but the wettest days. I’d use it for proper walking too as it’s very light and you could layer up well to add warmth.

hora
    Free Member

The Flux in moroccan blue looks shit* online. Its darker in person and boythe Flux is now my default run outside, 6am shop walk, bike assemble at the side of the road at 7.40am in winter, walk to get beer in winter at 10pm, emergency boot jacket etc etc etc all in a tshirt so far. In minus it’ll be +Icebreaker.

*Black or steel in person looks like a bin bag. The moroccan blue Prism in person looks loud – weird.

rascal
    Free Member

No bloody Generators in my size (only small) but the Montane Flux was really nice.
    Does anyone use one of these for non-bikey activities?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I;ve got a Prism which is ace and lots of colleagues (outdoor pursuits) use the Flux

monkeychild
    Free Member

The black flux does look a bit bin baggish (I have one) but it is warm and quite waterproof.

rascal
    Free Member

rtg – Do you find you can use your usual layering system with it? I use a baselayer with a Windstopper softshell (dry) or Paclite (wet) and a Berghaus thin gilet if it’s cold.
    Is it something you walk in or something you get out of the rucksack when you’ve stopped – that’s when I get really cold…having an all-over warmth would be better than my gilet.
    I notice the Flux has more features/pockets etc than the Prism – do you find the Prism good in spite of that?

So many questions…. 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I usually wear it over a baselayer and maybe a microfleece. Because its less insulated than the Flux I actually find it more versatile- I wore mine almost non-stop the first year I had it. Three/four years down the line its a bit tired, but still useful.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I bought a Karrimor avalanche from Field&Trek before xmas down to £55 from £150 been very pleased so far, quality is excellent, considering I was expecting to spend £200+ this is a bargain
    http://store.karrimor.com/karrimor-avalanche-jacket-mens-443292

nedrapier

In true STW style, here’s an answer you didn’t ask for! I wanted a warm jacket: I’ve got a few thinish jackets, hardshell, softshell, windshirt. I recently bought a synth gilet which I wear a lot of the time now, on it’s own or with one of the others.

Fantastic, and great on the bike, keeps your core warm and if you wear it on top, it’s really easy to ditch heat if you do get a bit warm just by unzipping a bit or most of the front. – you’ve barely got it on then.

I got this one £50 in a sale. http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/441089/products/arcteryx_mens_atom_lt_vest.aspx?origin=pla?kwd=&gclid=CK6F_-2E57sCFY3LtAodcAsAVw

nedrapier

Although browsing the g-o site, I found this which had me tempted for a while when I was looking:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/marmot-mens-variant-jacket-p189650

stu1972
    Free Member

Rab Exodus is worth a look or anything with a double weave stitch.

Granted its not as windproof as say Primaloft but it has better ventilation.

I bike and fell walk in mine and its fine however it can get a bit chilly if hanging around on exposed summits if you’ve only a single layer underneath.

For what its worth I found Montane rather short in the body. The arms on rhe Rab are long whichbis a good thing whenntour stretched out over a bike.

tomd
    Free Member

I have an older version of the Rab Exodus jacket. It’s a brilliant jacket, but too warm for doing anything active in. I take it with me on a lot of rides or walks in winter as a backup if something goes wrong or for hanging about in. One of my favourite bits of clothing though. I also have a very lightweight primaloft jacket that has less insulation, but as someone pointed out above it’s like wearing two windproof layers so it can even get a bit sweaty even though it’s not as warm as the Rab.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Synthetic insulated jackets’ is closed to new replies.