Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Swampthing, 60a or supertacky for winter trail riding?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

I’m going to try a swampthing up front on my hardtail. For those who have tried both, what is a better all-rounder for trail riding? It will be paired with a mud-x on the back.

I live next to the south downs, so lots of claggy mud, a fair amount of roots and a bit of slippery chalk.

I ride a bit of everything on my hartail, so am not sure if the supertacky will be too draggy on xc rides.

neil853
    Free Member

I ride a ST front and a 60a rear, seems to work well although its the first time that the front tyre has worn quicker than the rear ha ha. I just run the cheaper single ply ones tubeless. Fantastic winter tyre IMO.

toys19
    Free Member

I have super tacky front and rear. Its hard work on anything but downs, thinking of getting 60a for the rear..

Vortexracing

I have a ST front and 60a rear in 2.35.

I was thinking of putting my a mud X on the back of my HT as well but I prefer a little more volume.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’d go for the 60a, the swampthings are draggy enough as it is although that might be because I have the dual ply versions and they weigh a ton..

st

Single ply 2.35 ST on the front for me, a bit draggy but not too bad and good for the confidence.

br
    Free Member

Why not just another Mud X?

Works in the muddy Chilterns for me, even half-worn ones were fine yesterday.

simonm
    Free Member

All round, 60a.. I’m Steve Peat and god like on a bike = ST

kudos100
    Free Member

I prefer a fatter tyre up front.

proutster
    Free Member

I ride with exactly what you’ve suggested – ST 2.35″ single-ply Swampthing on the front and 2.0″ Mud X on the back. Both are run ghetto tubeless at 22-25psi.

I find this combo superb up here in The Peaks for grip on wet rocks but also to get me through the muddy bits + I also ride once per month on the South Downs with a work colleague and they work really well on the wet roots down there.
    I’ve found that there’s an amazing difference in grip (not surprisingly) going to ghetto @ low pressures compared to tubed at 30psi.

greeble
    Free Member

I prefer a fatter tyre up front. [/quote]

narrower tyres cut through the mud better than wider ones

br
    Free Member

I prefer a fatter tyre up front.

Wider or deeper, or both?

My Mud X’s are running 25psi front and 30psi rear on 819’s – gives enough squish/grip.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a ST on the back at the moment and am thinking about putting one on the front too as for the first time I am starting to loose the front end a little on some corners. The ST on the back is immense I was coming down my road last night way too fast and grabbed a handful of rear brake just as I got on the pavement, forgetting that they were freshly bled and working really well. I created a trough nearly 4 inches deep across my gravel drive and then a massive skid mark across my lawn. Oops 😆

TrentSteel
    Free Member

not tried the 60a but have ST 42a 2.35 on the front and Mud-x 2.0 on the back, and its an awesome tyre. Switched from a mud-x 2.0 front when around November time when conditions turn to constantly wet, its much grippier, especially on greasy/slimy roots you get this time of year.

On muddy off camber bits the ST pisses on the Mud-x IMO, as my front tyre sticks and the back slides.

my riding isn’t gnarr enough for ST front and back and the little bit of drift the rear has can be added fun

wwaswas

buy your swampthings now nextdaytyres say;

Maxxis Swampthing Tyres are to be discontinued. Dont’t ask us why, we don’t know … meantime we have bought all we can, but they will probably all disappear in the next two weeks.

😯

kudos100
    Free Member

Cheers all. I’ve gone for the 60a. Hopefully turn up for the weekend 🙂

Northwind

Really not a fan of the maxxpro on the front, lacks grip on hard stuff IMO. Supertacky might be slow but it deals better with mixed conditions. Works well enough on the back though, slides around but manageably.

Taff
    Free Member

Interesting read. Currently awaiting an order but I do have some swampthings in the shed from my DH day. Awesome tyres in the wet on the downs but can never recall ever riding up a hill with them. Definately never on an xc bike. Wondering iff it will be a better performance than the Maxxis Ignitor I have on the rear at the moment.

chiefgrooveguru

I have 2.35 Swampthings on my Soul. 42a front, 60a rear. The latter is an absolute sod to tubeless – may swap it for a Mud-X to get rid of the tube and some rolling resistance. Great tyres though!

souldrummer
    Free Member

Last year I rode with 60a front and rear, mainly because there were no ST around when I ordered them. They coped very well, but I thought I would try a ST on the front this year as Next Day Tyres has some. I have to say that it is very draggy but does work very well on the mud and wet roots that we have round here (Guildford). Swampthings also manage to deal very well with the sand of St Marthas and other such places.

Taff
    Free Member

Just put a 60a on the rear. Givent he rain today it would have to perform better. Also got a 2.5 slow reezay in the shed but apart from looking ridiculous I think it would be draggy as hell. Will try it out… what’s the worst that could happen

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’ve got a 42a on the front and going to put one on the rear too. Not sure whether to go 42a or 60a on rear. Not bothered about drag but just concerned over wear rate of 42a on rear…any thoughts?

Northwind

Supertacky on the front for me- the 60A seems just as good in mud but isn’t great on less muddy surfaces IMO.

simonm – Member

All round, 60a.. I’m Steve Peat and god like on a bike = ST

What an odd comment. I use a supertacky on the front because I’m not godlike on a bike, no doubt if I was better I’d be happy with a less sticky tyre.

Terry
    Free Member

ST front and rear, super tacky – killing my legs, so much rolling resistance. But grippy and fun on the down hill sections, which is what I ride.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Swampthing, 60a or supertacky for winter trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.