Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Swaledale route suggestions for mixed ability group
  • tillydog
    Free Member

Will be staying in Swaledale next month and am looking for a fairly straightforward route for some occasional mountain bikers – say 20-25 miles and <3000′ of climbing. Must start / finish in Gunnerside. The more old mines / ruins / industrial history the better.

I’ve never been there before, but by mashing together a few published routes I’ve hatched the following, tentative plan: Path on the south side of the river to Grinton / up through Fremington along the track to Hurst / down the bridleway (Fremington Edge descent?) to Langthwaite / up and over to Surrender Bridge + Level House Bridge (more to see this way than via Great Pinseat?) / past the Old Gang mines and north into Gunnerside Gill / descend the Gill to return for tea and cakes*.

Any other suggestions / improvements / things to see along the way would be welcome.

TIA

*Beer.

martinhutch

I like Great Pinseat – it’s like a lunar landscape with better views than the track from Surrender Bridge. If history rather than technical riding is your group’s thing, you could always descend to Surrender Bridge from Great Pinseat then head back to the final descent into Gunnerside village. The main hush leading down into Gunnerside Gill is a bit tricky and loose if any of them aren’t regulars.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The main hush leading down into Gunnerside Gill is a bit tricky and loose if any of them aren’t regulars.

Agree with this but it’s not far down to the workings at the bottom (North Hush) Then you just need to get on the track at Silver Hill to whizz down back to Gunnerside. Sounds like a good route.

whitestone
    Free Member

Your route sounds good, the ride up Fremington Edge will see most walking. The descent to Langthwaite has one very short rocky step section but is otherwise straightforward. If the group doesn’t fancy Bunton Hush (AKA the gully of death) then there’s a good bridleway leading south from Moor House to Low Row Pasture. However I really like the BW that follows the gill down from the workings back towards Gunnerside so walking the couple of hundred metres is not a deal breaker. Whichever way you decide it’s worth getting to this point http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=396329&Y=498290&A=Y&Z=115 for the last BW descent to Gunnerside.

There’s quite a few ways down to the Gunnerside mines – I don’t think I’ve found the right/best line yet, really not easy to figure out from above if you’ve not done it before.

See how the weather is on the day: I’ve had my bike blown about on Great Pinseat when it’s lying on the ground!

tillydog
    Free Member

The main hush leading down into Gunnerside Gill is a bit tricky and loose if any of them aren’t regulars.

Which is the main hush? On the OS map, west of the Old Gang mines, the path splits 3 ways: a footpath heading ~SW, a bridleway heading ~W and another bridleway heading ~NW. (here). I know the BW heading west is very rocky / steep (moon gully?), so was looking to head up towards the NW. Is this also rocky / loose? (Not necessarily a problem, but nice to know – They probably haven’t forgiven me for sending them down The Beast near Hope a couple of years ago).

Thanks.

Edit: Just seen lots more replies – will read and digest!

martinhutch

The one to the NW (which doubles back) isn’t as bad – track then narrow singletrack which is awkward with a drop off to the side in a couple of spots.

I may have inadvertently taken the FP to the SW, which was also easier, just a couple of tricky stream crossings IIRC.

whitestone
    Free Member

Looking on Strava, the segment you want for Gunnerside Mines is called Moon Gully Descent – it starts down Bunton Hush but at about half height it moves north in to Friarfold Hush. The top part is the BW heading W (there’s a small post as a BW marker on the edge of the moonscape at the top), at about this point http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=394297&Y=501353&A=Y&Z=115 you move NW in to Friarfold Hush.

The gully of death takes Bunton Hush all the way, it’s the Y shaped feature just W of the B of Bunton. The bottom 100m is narrow and steep, as in angle of repose steep. I’ve also headed down the northmost hush, Gorton Hush, which isn’t worth it – lots of heather and holes, not even a sheep track.

jaylittle
    Free Member

There’s a 24 mile route in this months mbr, might be worth a look.

augustuswindsock

we did that route on Saturday starting and finishing in Reeth, it’s a cracker. If the group’s mixed ability the more inexperienced/ unfit might find it a struggle though!

tillydog
    Free Member

There’s a 24 mile route in this months mbr, might be worth a look.

The sods! That’s my suggested route (nearly).

Thanks for all the useful info – particularly the bits about getting down to Gunnerside mines, etc. If it comes to it, we can walk that bit. They’re all reasonably fit, just not regular mountain bikers. Point taken about the weather, but there seem to be loads of options for bailing out / shorter rides.

Looking forwards to it!

chemicalali
    Free Member

All good advice here and you’ve got a cracking route. I’d second the suggestion with a mixed ability group of “inadvertently” taking the FP into Gunnerside rather than the steep and rocky drops down to the old workings. We were there at the weekend and it was blowing a hooley on the top so bailed at that point.

Whatever you do, take the Electric Gate drop down to Gunnerside as pointed out by whitestone – one of my favourite descents in the Dales – watch out for walkers though coming up if you’re caning it on the way down.

And of course the obligatory advice to drop in to see Stu at the Dales Bike Centre as you go by before starting the climb up Fremington Edge.

slowoldman

I like Great Pinseat

Me too.

there’s a good bridleway leading south from Moor House to Low Row Pasture.

Ooh so there is. Not done that. Next time I’m up there.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

there’s a good bridleway leading south from Moor House to Low Row Pasture.

Ooh so there is. Not done that. Next time I’m up there.

Eh! Get off my land!! 🙂

That is my usual back home to Low Row.

A good option for bailing near the end if tired. Follow the track, not the map to Barf End. Bear L through gate and past small standing stone (FP on map) and sharp back down right at next gate/wall into Gunnerside.

Paul

tillydog
    Free Member

Much appreciated – thanks 🙂

el_boufador

Can’t be arsed to find it but look up pipeline descent. Shit for a mixed group mind so completely does not answer your question.Amazing if you are solo or in a competent group though 🙂

el_boufador

http://www.netpositive.co.uk/node/26 could be arsed after all

tillydog
    Free Member

We ended up doing a slightly shortened version of the route (partly due to tiredness, and partly because it was snowing); taking the bridleway from Moor House to Low Row and missing out Gunnerside Gill.

I was pleasantly surprised at the variety of riding on the route along the river (I expected it to be landrover track all the way).

The Dales Cycle Centre was very friendly and helpful (we ended up buying tubes, a tyre and a new helmet from them – long story…).

Fremington Edge was great: a decent climb up – A couple of the lads (not me) made it up in one – and a really good descent (even the lad on canti brakes liked it!). The descent from Great Pinseat was a fun, high speed blast, so thanks for swaying us in that direction. The final descent into Gunnerside was also well worth doing (tempered by extremely slippery, wet grass in places when we did it).

I did ride Gunnerside Gill separately to check it out. There are a few interesting bits there, too. The descent into the gill through the hushes will have to wait for another day.

Everyone said they had enjoyed it, which is the main thing, although a few took a while to recover…

Thank you all for your help. 🙂

tillydog
    Free Member

A few pics:

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Swaledale route suggestions for mixed ability group’ is closed to new replies.