• This topic has 55 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Surly Dirt Wizard 29+ Tyre
  • Mantastic
    Free Member

Ison are showing May but don’t read anything into that date

zigzag69
    Free Member

Just a heads up, 29″ Dirt Wizards are now available.

http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=TYSUFD93

I just bought a pair from Charlie the Bikemonger (other retailers are available).

bedmaker

The mythical tyres are now reality! These should transform the way this bike is used, with some proper grip on loose wet surfaces.

[/url]

Clobber
    Free Member

What fork have you got in there bedmaker? nice bike btw…

only a week late zigzag…

zigzag69
    Free Member

Ha, did a quick search and didn’t see that thread Clobber 😳

Clobber
    Free Member

What bike/rims are you running them on zigzag?

bedmaker

It’s a Bluto Clobber, 100mm

Clobber
    Free Member

Looks good

rosscopeco
    Free Member

At last…just in time for winter coming…if summer ever decides to appear.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Clobber – Member

What bike/rims are you running them on zigzag?
    I’ll be running them on Duallys. Tyres bought in anticipation of the arrival of my rooster.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Well, here it is at last – the much anticipated Dirt Wizard. It’s much smaller in size than Knard, seems that the rumours about “downsizing” the DW so it fits better with sus-forks were true.
    Still labeled as 29×3″ but here’s the comparison(Ryde Enduro 35mm rims):

Dirt Wizard:

Knard:

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

So Surly have gone full circle on this one :(( – initially th e DW was going to be a 2.8″ tyre. According to their blog – they decided to make it a full 3″, thus causing a delay – and after seeming like years of waiting – the finished product is a 2.5″ tyre ? Epic fail Surly.

epicyclo

futon river crossing – Member
    …they decided to make it a full 3″, thus causing a delay – and after seeming like years of waiting – the finished product is a 2.5″ tyre ? Epic fail Surly.

I think that could be a major win. It’s more likely to fit in ordinary 29ers that have decent mud clearance, ie most UK designed bikes. There’s a very small pool of 29er+ frames.

The 26″ DW made a major improvement to my 26″ bike, so I would expect the same on a 29er. (The extra volume just makes it work so much better).

For comparison’s sake, what 2.5″ are you talking about? Most seem to be for DH use rather than lightweight XC like the DW.

For comparisons we do need a standardised measuring system, tyre sizes are all over the place, and rarely accurate. It has been suggested that a bead to bead measurement with the tyre spread flat would at least give a truer indication of potential volume when inflated.

zigzag69
    Free Member

Looks like there might be a bit of stretch after a few rides

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-29/surly-dirt-wizard-29-actual-measurements-966031.html

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Here’s the Dirt Wizard on my ‘customised’ Reba RLT.

As above they are smaller so there’s considerably more clearance on the Reba than with the Chronicle.

Haven’t ridden them yet but I’d be tempted to keep this set up with the bouncy fork and just use the Chronicle on the rigid fork.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wqDURz]29×3 dirt wizard[/url] by Rosscopeco, on Flickr

Sanny
    Free Member

Very impressed by mine. I’ve had the chance to use them in the slop and gloop that is the summer and they work bloody well. Looking at them, they shouldn’t roll quickly on Tarmac but they do. Mounted on a 50mm rim, they have a reassuring girth that is noticeably better on rocky and loose trails than Hans Damfs mounted on a regular width 29er rim. They even work pretty well on sand. Obviously not as well as a full fat tyre but substantially better than a more traditional set up. Worth the wait? I would say so. 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Surly Dirt Wizard 29+ Tyre’ is closed to new replies.