Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • superstar
  • jonnyrockymountain

superstar tesla evo hubs? any reviews?
    Also superstar wheel builds any good?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I have used the Tesla Mk 1 for a while with no problems, but added a nice seal of grease before first use, otherwise the dry installation could have caused premature bearing failure.

Had one complete wheel from them. True but very far from tight.

Spin
    Free Member

any good?

chvck
    Free Member

I’m also running a mk1, had no issues whatsoever. Bearings seem to be lasting pretty well too.

thorlz
    Free Member

I have had 2 original telsa rear hubs fail on me after 9 months of use.

To be fair to superstars they were replaced quickly with no fuss, the last time with a telsa evo hub. Not yet used the wheel yet as I am looking to sell due to buying another wheelset.

I suspect there is a fault with the original hubs.The new ones should be better.

Not very helpful to you, but thats my experience.

jonnyrockymountain

Anymore????

andyrm
    Free Member

Now on my 2nd year on original Tesla hubs – somewhere in the region of 3000 miles on them, mainly AM/Enduro/uplift days so hard use.

Just about to do bearing change on the rear for the first time. Other than that, absolutely nothing to report, which is a good thing for a hub – it just works.

Hubs were originally on a set of their Sentinel wheels which I used for the above – although branded as an XC/Trail rim, I had no issues with them for harder use.

jairaj

The original Tesla hubs had some reported failures mostly down to the hub eating it self. I think most if not all were replaced by Superstar who now have a improved version.

Complaints seem to have dropped rapidly since the release of the new hub so I guess the new design is a lot better?

Superstar’s wheel building can be good but not very consistent. I’ve had 3 wheels from them all were built to a good standard. But others have complained about spokes loosening within a few weeks. Factor in £15 to the price of the wheels to get them checked / re-tensioned by your local shop and they are still a bargain.

Northwind

jairaj – Member

Factor in £15 to the price of the wheels to get them checked / re-tensioned by your local shop and they are still a bargain.

Aye, that’s how I approached it- as a really well packaged collection of wheel parts, rather than neccesarily as a pair of functioning wheels. One of mine is actually really well built, the front one went quickly out of true, which considering it’s on a hybrid is not impressive…

skindog
    Free Member

Just popped a pair of tactic rims with tesla Evo hubs on on Friday night. Came in a decent box, true and tight. Tubeless went up really easy with a track pump. Rode both Saturday and Sunday and was very impressed. Obviously not a long term review but I think they are a great bit of kit for the money. Did consider the new Spank Oozy/s but they are a bit priceyer and the beadlock version was not available.

hora
    Free Member

Hope hoops

trickydisco
    Free Member

I’ve just hammered a set of tesla evo on tactic rims for a week in the alps (les arcs)

They have been faultless. Went up tubeless a doddle. Wheels have stayed true and hubs feel good (although mates were getting tired of the hub noise but i love it)

Also ran a Superstar I/O chainring which has been amazing. Forgot to put the clutch on on some runs and it still stayed on

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘superstar’ is closed to new replies.