Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Super Bowl Sunday XL VII
  • specialdrifter
    Free Member

So who is staying up to watch this spectacle of sport!?

Ive got the Budweiser in and pretzels are ready!

I look forward to this every year! It truly is a great thing to watch and the half time show and commercials!

CaptJon
    Free Member

yep. Off for a nap shortly.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

I’m in, but after yesterday’s mammoth 14hour beer sesh, I doubt I’ll be drinking anything stronger than cola…..

specialdrifter
    Free Member

So let it be known this is the thread for tonight and tomorrow, THIS IS SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!

dallas95
    Free Member

Never miss it. Day booked off work tomorrow so all set for a late night. Ravens to win but it will be close.

Cougar

I’m in. Even bought the Bud. I’m not a fan of spectator sport generally, but American football is a) different enough to catch my attention (rather than the soul-destroyingly tedious media saturation our football gets) and b) it’s deeply tactical and I really enjoy watching that.

Back in the 80s when we used to watch it at school (and play it), all my mates picked teams to support fairly arbitrarily and I ended up with Denver. So tonight I shall be maintaining a long-standing tradition of rooting for the AFC team whilst watching the NFC team romp to victory.

specialdrifter
    Free Member

I’m a huge NHL fan, and rarely follow NFL, I wish the Stanley cup was played in the uk 🙁

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I’m staying up but I’ve been unable to get the day off tomorrow so its going to be a rough one with work 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

Snacks are ready…

specialdrifter
    Free Member

Jamie, saw that on 9gaf, my reaction would get me banned if i typed it in

Jamie
    Free Member

Banned? How come?

Hmmm. Better not look at this one then:

Cougar

I’m a huge NHL fan, and rarely follow NFL, I wish the Stanley cup was played in the uk

I followed UK ice hockey for a while, a few years ago. I really enjoyed it, until the novelty wore off. I have a Manchester Storm replica shirt and everything.

labsey
    Free Member

I’m a huge NHL fan, and rarely follow NFL, I wish the Stanley cup was played in the uk

This however since the NHL Lockout I started watching NFL. I’m definitely going to try to watch it all.

rOcKeTdOg

pre game nap after top gear, tomorow booked off with ride planned after a lie in, beer and superbowl snacks ready 🙂

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Ray Lewis to walk out and retire a super bowl winner for me.

Go Ravens

Hadge
    Free Member

As above, would love see the Ravens win and Ray Lewis walk away from the sport a winner again. Can’t wait.

Slogo
    Free Member

plus

plus

And these guys!

GO NINERS!

yossarian
    Free Member

I like Kaepernick, he’s a properly unstable and untrustworthy QB.

Hope he plays a blinder and the 49ers win a shootout.

Anyone on this thread ever played? My position was either free safety, outside linebacker or occasionally a very small but mobile defensive end.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTFU

😉

Cougar

Anyone on this thread ever played? My position was either free safety, outside linebacker or occasionally a very small but mobile defensive end.

I played what was started as ‘chucking a ball about’ and evolved into what was essentially two-touch when I was at school. Generally got stuck as Tight End (ie, backup receiver / runner) in the shadow of primadonnas who just had to be WR. I made a pretty reasonable cornerback though.

CaptJon
    Free Member

I’d also describe rugby as just balls, CFH. 😉

davosaurusrex

Hmmm. Played for Brighton B-52s juniors as cornerback/free safety/tight end, did one season playing for the seniors at cornerback but a separated sternun and badly broken wrist later the novelty had worn off. I was utterly obsessed with it as a teenager but haven’t really watched it in years, prefer watching rugby union these days. Always tempted to watch the Superbowl but the thought of getting up for work puts me off. On paternity leave though so could risk the wrath of the wife this year……who’s favourite to win then? Ravens didn’t even exist when I were a lad, all this was fields, jumpers for goalposts etc

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m guessing they are worried about Bane turning up…

davosaurusrex

I remember a 70s American film about a sniper at a football game, can’t remember what it was called but it was awesome!

Actually forget about a sniper, what was that zeppelin/Goodyear blimp terrorist book called, Black Sunday?

Pigface
    Free Member

Ravens to win

yossarian
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    MTFU

I played rugby competitively for 9 years. Mainly no. 8 or as a dirty bastard centre that could run and tackle.

Anyone who thinks that American football is somehow less of a mans game because of the helmet and pads is a fool. The helmet and pads are weapons.

Tell you what flashy, go and have a little scrimmage with your local team. If you can still type after tell us how you got on.

davosaurusrex

That’s the thing with American football, on the biggest hits both players have had a run up and are at full chat, then go head to head using the helmets as weapons as yossarian says. The worst ones are when one of them is looking behind him to catch the ball and nearly gets his head removed. I’m sure the biggest bits in AF are worse than in rugby. And no I don’t have any scientific proof.

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks that American football is somehow less of a mans game because of the helmet and pads is a fool. The helmet and pads are weapons.

Don’t take the bait.

…but if CFH did want a bit of light-hearted reading.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the obligatory 😉

😐

Philby

I’ll be watching it – have watched most Superbowls since the mid 80s and the days of the Fridge!

Won’t be having any Bud though – it tastes and looks like p*ss!

Come on you Ravens!

mikey74
    Free Member

For all the pads naysayers: Before pads and helmets were introduced, people were dying quite regularly in the game:

Direct fatality averages
    Number/year Period
    18.6 1931-1970
    9.5 1971–1990
    4.2 1991-2007

Apparently 40,000 concussions are suffered every year high high school players 😯

The modern helmet was introduced in the 50s. Before that they were little more than skullcaps.

I’ll probably watch the first half and then the highlights tomorrow eve (8pm)

Slogo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vplyigJqboE[/video]

sorry about the poor music and intro.

yossarian
    Free Member

The worst ones are when one of them is looking behind him to catch the ball and nearly gets his head removed. I’m sure the biggest bits in AF are worse than in rugby. And no I don’t have any scientific proof.

I’ve hit people much, much harder playing American football. Usually qb’s in the pocket looking the other way or receivers under a hanging ball. Mind you I’ve also been hammered by full backs or TE’s heading through the line and dirty sods coming from the side on kick & punt returns. Great game to watch and play. So is rugby. I reckon most people who actually play either sport have a healthy respect for each other, it’s only the sycophants who talk shite.

mikey74
    Free Member

Martin Johnson is a huge American Football fan

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed. He’s about 6’7″.

*cough*

vixalot
    Free Member

Wow I love the snax tables makes my can of pepsi and banoffee pie look a bit tame 😀

Cougar

Ravens didn’t even exist when I were a lad

Yeah they did, they were just called the Cleveland Browns.

Pigface
    Free Member

after the Colts upped sticks and galloped for Indianapolis

ianpinder
    Free Member

I play, got in to gb youth, but stopped playing gb when I went to uni. Played uni American football, won the cup in my final year. I didn’t play last season because I was in Africa, but going to start next season for one of the London teams probably. I played nose tackle

mikey74
    Free Member

Indeed. He’s about 6’7″.

*cough*

I believe this may be your coat sir…

davosaurusrex

Yeah they did, they were just called the Cleveland Browns

Shows how out of touch I am. So Cleveland doesn’t have a team anymore then? Always seemed like one of those places where there was nothing to do except follow football.

I was always a huge LA Rams fan who if memory serves started out in Cleveland

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Super Bowl Sunday XL VII’ is closed to new replies.