Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Sunglasses with photochromatic lenses
  • benman
    Free Member

Thinking about investing in a pair of sunnies with light sensitive lenses for this summer, and wondered what was recommended?

I’ve seen Endura do a couple of pairs for £40 – 50 – any good?

I used to like the look of the Specialized Adaptalites, but they don’t seem to be very widely available anymore. Are they discontinuing their glasses? (Can’t find them on specialized website)

Only looking to spend up to £80, so not in Oakley territory…

R.lepecha

Them spesh ones are good, my dad got some years back for cheap(about £30 New!) Still going strong, not a single scratch.

I’m also looking for light adaptive/photo-chromatic cycling glasses too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Only looking to spend up to £80, so not in Oakley territory…

Damn.

Was going to treat you to a little detail on how utterly awesome their Persimmon/Black Iridium lens is for almost anything!

clubber
    Free Member
    geoffj

I’ve got a a pair of the Spesh adaptalites (San Remo I think) and they are great. They work from overcast into bright sun. The only time I wouldn’t wear them would be a proper winter day or night ride (obviously).

thepurist

The Endura Pirhanas don’t have a huge range of reaction – they basically go from “a bit dark” to “a bit darker”. Seem to work OK as sunnies though, but probably not up to Capn Flash’s Oakley stalking challenge.

nicko74

I’m a huge fan of the Specialized Adaptalite – I think I have the singletracks or chicanes. I previously came from Oakley Pro Racing Jackets (with the vented lenses), but switched because, well, the Specialized glasses sounded good, and I made a bit of cash by selling the Oakleys and buying the Specialized specs (new).

The yellow tint is good under the trees – think Wales on a grey raining day – but dark enough that in photos of me wearing them skiing, they actually look like “conventional” sunglasses (ie darker lenses). I guess the key is that the transition between the states isn’t really noticeable. And you can’t argue with the theory that as the photocromatic mixture is embedded in the lens (rather than coated), they should work well even if you do rub the lenses a lot.
    I’ve not scratched mine yet, and although I had previously been a big fan of the Oakley optics (and lens clarity – I had nothing but Oakleys for about 10 years), I really don’t notice any difference in that area.

Downsides – they still fog up if you’re not moving, especially when it’s really cold (like for skiing). And to be honest, this particular model looks a bit daft off the bike – think Jude Joooools’ big glasses, only with a yellow lens. But I like ’em so much I’ve been vaguely looking around to see if I can find a model that would work as an everyday/ off the bike pair as well.

Edit: sorry, got a bit carried away there. er… I’m a fan of them, as you can see 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Capn Flash’s Oakley stalking challenge.

Actually, that is the one weakness of the otherwise excellent Persimmon/Black Iridium lens IMO. Much like with the snow version of Black Iridium (Crowbars, by the way. Love ’em!)

Only the true Black Iridium passes the City Sunny Lunchtime Challenge with flying colours…. 8)

nicko74

CFH – having moved to somewhere a bit sunnier, I fear the issue is actually the sunlight in the UK. You know when you go on holiday to (say) Bangkok and even when it’s overcast you have to wear your sunnies ’cause it’s so bright? London sun just isn’t bright enough.

Which suggests an interesting option – if Oakley and other brands could offer a ‘UK-optimised’ photochromatic option, where the darker shade kicks in earlier, they could make a lot of cash. As a post on a niche forum represents formal posting of an idea, I shall await the royalty payments. 🙂

(actually, thinking about it, they could just offer it as ‘stalker mode’ – either in terms of specific models, or a lens option)

benman
    Free Member

Hmmm, if only the adaptalites were more available, they seem have disappeared from most shops! Any know if they’ve been discontinued?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Rudy Project Rydon glasses with reactolite lenses and the best thing to say is they are totally unobtrusive, the lens changes quickly enough that riding in and out of trees is no problem, I’ve worn them all over Europe and possibly on very bright days in the mountains of Spain, they don’t darken quite enough, it’s still worth the compromise for variable UK conditions. I would recommend them.

nicko74

Specialized’s own website still showed them as being available a couple of weeks ago, I know. Not sure if that helps, mind.

Del

another +1 for the spesh ones. my pair have been through the back wheel on my ss, and although scratched, are still servicable. i liked ’em so much that when another pair popped up SH i had them, figuring i was bound to trash the old ones soon enough, but they’ve hung on for 3 years or so now.

Reluctant
    Free Member

BBB (BSG2359) is a good budget alternative. I’ve had a pair for 3 years, great as riding spex for 95% of the time. They never go quite as dark as real sunglasses, but your eyes are always comfortable. They do go light enough for nightriding and my Hope Vision 4 on full blast doesn’t seem to bother them into thinking it’s daylight. Beats dicking about changing lenses every time the sun goes behind a cloud.

SaboteurCherie
    Free Member

I just bought a pair of Oakley photochromic from ebay, £80! Total bargain, I am in love with them. Shiny things make me happy.

plumber
    Free Member

Smith do some that I find excellent

njee20
    Free Member

Spesh have discontinued all their glasses, shame really, they were pretty good. I left my Arcs at a race, they were good, although never fitted as well as Oakley IMO.

Shred
    Free Member

Anyone know why they don’t make sunglasses that can go from clear to dark, like prescription glasses do? All that I have seen have been too dark for cloudy or even night riding.

nicko74

Spesh have discontinued all their glasses

Really? 🙁 I shall have to look after mine with a bit more care then!

mudpup
    Free Member

Try Tifosi Fototecs

M6TTF
    Free Member

Real shame spesh have stopped making their glasses – I’ve got a pair of divide adaptalite, their brilliant. I also had a different pair (forget what they were) but they didn’t suit me so sold them on

winterfold
    Free Member

Hi OP

you asked about Endura originally?

I have the ones that are fake jawbones. They are top! lenses work really well – to the point of still working when dark and once you are 3 ft away they look like Jawbones, but they cost £40 😀

Brilliant!!

EDIT Haha they are called ‘Mullet’ there had to be a negative.

Pooley
    Free Member

My LBS has Uvex photchromatics, been a Oakley user for ages, but the price was good (can’t remember how much) so gave ’em a punt. Quietly impressed. They don’t go ultra dark, but cope with uk sun, I waer them on my commute, and found after a late one and getting home in the dark, no vision issues. Recommended. (Lime green and white frames!)

druidh
    Free Member

I have some Adaptalites I need to sell. They are great, but I realised I needed prescription lenses, so opted to go with Oakleys.

nicko74

Pooley – how does your Mullet(!) look off the bike? I’m potentially after a pair of photochromatic everyday/ messing about glasses, although perhaps something a bit darker in the lens

stcolin
    Free Member

Just been on my first ride out with my new Oakley Ten prescription sunglasses. I ordered the transition lenses and I have to say, they worked very well this evening. Sun was low to begin with, then riding between 7-8pm tonight they were perfect. These particular lenses are ranged from 93% (clear) to 18% light transmission.

fasthaggis

I like these

Looks like a deal

edit .. oops none in stock 🙁

You may find some on ebay

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Sunglasses with photochromatic lenses’ is closed to new replies.