Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • IdleJon

Only just caught up with the England Junior World Cup result (v USA).

109 – 0!! ❗

anagallis_arvensis

And he can’t play 8

Played 8 a lot as a junior asfaik.

loum
    Free Member

Guess that puts him ahead of Heaslip and Faletau for the test spot then. 🙄

anagallis_arvensis

could play there mid week if needed, much like Hogg playing 10. Lydiate not hitting form is a big loss. SOB often seems to have poor handling so might not be much of an 8. Faletau hits more rucks and tackles more and carries closer to rucks than Heaslip but I don’t think he’s been playing that well. Heaslip,SOB and Warbs/Tips for me. I don’t rate Croft. Need more graft and ruck hitting which means AWJ may get the nod over Grey if Croft starts, Croft would balance the loss of lineout work.
    North and Tuilagi are apparently major doubts for the first test.

sadmadalan

Given the state of the lineout then Croft is needed. In that case Heaslip is the wrong option. Warbs will start, but Tiperic is playing better. Second row is more interesting, any of the four could start, although at the moment only PoC seems to be nailed in.

wrecker
    Free Member

Tips/Heaslip/Croft for me ATM.
    Fetcher/Bosher/Mover. POC + 1 in the ‘orrible row. If pushed, I’d be tempted to say Evans right now. Adam, Mako and either Hibbs or Youngs at hooker.

anagallis_arvensis

i agree with your front row wrecker but tbe backrow is far too lightweight with three players who all enjoy attacking wide channals. a fit on form lydiate with heaslip and tips would be good but doesnt look likely. who knows. sadmadalen if the hookers are the issue croft jumping at the back could just make it worse…. i really couldnt pick a side atm. who’d a coach!!

loum
    Free Member

SOB often seems to have poor handling

You need to watch more games.
    With his passing he’d be ahead of Roberts or Davies for a centre spot in Wales. Probably fly half too after his kicking the other day. 😉

Sort of agree about the “one of Croft or Gray argument”. My choice would be Gray and SOB, over Croft and AWJ. Looks like it going the other way for the first test though.

Pretty sure Gatland’s keeping some surprises up his sleave.
    Ideally, we’ll all watch the replays after the tests and realise Hibbard was throwing left-handed in the warm up games. He’s actually a national javelin and darts champ. All our line-outs will go perfectly straight to Croft, leaping like a salmon in the centre of the pitch, and offloading to a fully fit North to touch down under the posts.

Either that , or the non starter from Tips, Lydiate, and SOB on Tuesday is our secret test weapon.

wrecker
    Free Member

I agree it’s not ideal, but two of the first choices are seemingly a bit off form/short of games. One is playing and one on the bench so it could be all change after saturday. Who knows, Croft/Heaslip/Tips might have stinkers.
    Croft isn’t a small back row any more (16st7) but he’s still not a bosher, I agree. Too early to call.

IdleJon

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Lydiate not hitting form is a big loss.

He shouldn’t have been taken in the first place. To do the job he does as well as he does needs immense fitness, which a few half-baked games with the Dragons or against 2nd choice provincial teams wasn’t going to provide. (As always I hope to be proven wrong because I really rate him.)

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    SOB often seems to have poor handling so might not be much of an 8.

Can’t say I’ve noticed that?

loum
    Free Member

“The game’s changed a bit,” Dennis said. “I want to beat those blokes and we won’t beat them with 13 or 14 men. We need to be smart about that. There’s good ways of hurting them but you need to do that legally.”

Hopefully not as punchy as last time.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8Fa6HsY4ZC8[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

I seem to remember SOB playing eight for ireland once and having hands like feet was a few years ago. He also doesnt seem to be the brightest rugby player which is no problem in a flanker but an eight needs to use his head a bit more.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Probably why mongo never conviced people that he was a proper 8!

AWJ, POC, Croft, Warbs and Heaslip for me with Warbs warned that he needs to be not shit 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

doesnt seem to be the brightest rugby player which is no problem in a flanker

Oi! I resemble that comment! 🙂

duckman

Gray broken it would appear, taken off early last week,injections and not trained since.

anagallis_arvensis

Bugger improves the case for Croft in the backrow.

tinybits
    Free Member

And then you’ll owe me a pint!

anagallis_arvensis

Double bugger

anagallis_arvensis

moment of the tour so far!!

anagallis_arvensis

this ones quite good too!

anagallis_arvensis

and here’s one for wrecker 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Looks like the 12 did most of the work there 😛
    Got one of matt Stevens turnover?

anagallis_arvensis

turnover or roll over? 😀 sorry no.
    This ones good though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

6- 3 at half time..FFS!

anagallis_arvensis

Wales look like they might well have cracked this losing to japan business this week.

loum
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/16829471

bbc radio wales live coverage.

anagallis_arvensis

Its on s4c isnt it. You can watch that live on their website. I cannot be botheredd.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Yes it is on s4c although not pretty viewing if your welsh. Japan worth the lead at present.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, Japan very good today, Wales mediocre at best.

anagallis_arvensis

Congrats to Japan. Tonga next on the wales must lose to list.

Pigface
    Free Member

That was pretty crap 🙁 oh well can’t have the ups without the downs.

juanking

You chaps know of somewhere I can watch the Lions this morning? Cheers.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh dear. 😯

anagallis_arvensis

Try not to be too upset wrecker us wales fan always know the team are only a few steps away from being utter shite its what makes the ups so good!!

anagallis_arvensis

jaunting try here:
    http://www.wiziwig.tv/broadcast.php?matchid=207646&part=sports
    just remember turn on a pop up blocker and don’t download anything, if ads get in the way go to full screen.

anagallis_arvensis

The British and Irish Lions would sooner “cheat” the best than “play” the best rugby, and it’s no surprise given their coach is a New Zealander, according to former Australia coach Bob Dwyer.
    Dwyer, who guided Australia to their maiden World Cup triumph in 1991, told The Australian newspaper the Lions were cheating at the scrum, the breakdown and in loose play.

The comments are certain to ignite tensions between the Warren Gatland-coached Lions and the Wallabies ahead of their three-match series starting with the first test in Brisbane on June 22.

“We have a great game and there is massive scope for playing attractive rugby,” Dwyer said in comments published on Saturday, hours before the Lions play the New South Wales Waratahs in Sydney.

“It’s not supposed to be a contest to see who can cheat the best. It’s who can play the best.

“One comment I’d like to make after having seen the Lions in action on tour is that it doesn’t come as any surprise they’re coached by a New Zealander because they play outside the laws of the game as every New Zealand side does.”

Dwyer, 72, has long accused New Zealand teams of cheating, and in recent years has criticised captain Richie McCaw and the All Blacks forwards for using negative tactics and duping a succession of referees.

On Saturday, however, he failed to mention the Wallabies are also coached by a New Zealander, Robbie Deans, who was a long-term coach of McCaw at the Canterbury Crusaders before he took the Australia job in 2008.

Dwyer added the Lions forwards were illegally pushing upwards in the scrum to dislodge the opposing teams’ hookers and win penalties and their props were binding illegally and putting their hand on the ground for extra stability.

“When they put the delayed shove on, they scrummage upwards so there is nowhere for the opposing hooker to go but up,” he said.

“The thinking seems to be that if you can get a penalty so easily, why not do it?”

Lions players were also infringing at the breakdown, by going to ground to hold up the ball, while impeding opposing players arriving at the tackle area.

“They power past the ball by a metre and a half and then they hold on to defenders’ jerseys,” Dwyer added.

Further Dwyer complaints included the tourists screening their team mates going to receive kicks, and their decoy runners illegally making contact with opposing defenders to impede them.

“When they run decoy plays, the decoy runner invariably makes contact with the defender. He doesn’t smash him out of the way or anything so blatant, but it has the effect of impeding the defence,” Dwyer said.

“You don’t have to be smart to cheat,” he said.

“You just have to be a cheat.”

Reuters

😀 😆 😆

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Classic Oz. About time the mind games started properly.

any update on NZ v France?

anagallis_arvensis

http://cricfree.tv/sky-sports-2.php

michilak still hopless

IdleJon

juanking – Member
    You chaps know of somewhere I can watch the Lions this morning? Cheers.

Sydney? 😉

namastebuzz
    Free Member

NZ hammered France. 30-0

Couple of cracking tries, especially the length of the field breakout finished off under the posts by Barrett.

Now on with the main event….

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.