Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Suggestions for alternative Christmas lunches/ Dinners?
  • scotabroad

Me and she who must be obeyed were puzzling what to have for christmas lunch this year and dont fancy the usual dead bird in the oven.

So what to have as an alternative? We have done other traditional fare in the past such as roasts etc. but that doesnt seem to excite this year.

Daughter is a semi veggie who eats fish so we were thinking of a vegetarian/ fish dish.

Anyone on here have some good recommendations that put on a good spread for xmas that have worked in the past?

Cheers

S

Cougar

I generally do a veggie “Sunday” lunch. Some sort of Quorn roast or some such, boiled baby spuds, roast spuds / carrots / parsnips with rosemary and thyme, yorkies, onion gravy. Nom.

amplebrew

My Mum and Dad have made a huge curry for the family over the last couple of years.

It makes a nice change as I’m not a fan of roast dinners myself.

They set it all out on the table and folks just help themselves.

It makes it a lot less stressful than having to prepare individual dinners and serve them up.

They use a slow cooker to prepare it as well, so no-one is having to slave away in the kitchen.

I’d imagine that there would be loads of vegetarian curry options.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Havinf a single lage fish makes for a fair old feast. ?cook it whole and serve at eh table.

DEpends how many for and it can get expensive but turbot? Salmon? Even a whole cod or a halibut

KT1973
    Free Member

As amplebrew says, I was going to suggest a nice curry. Plenty of vegetarian options there too. Curried chickpeas with paratha is ace

aP
    Free Member

Nut roast with horseradish sauce.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The Germans traditionally have a crap at Christmas.

lockrobnkel
    Free Member

Dim sum, duck, steamed dumplings, noodles steam veggies thats our this year 😀

KT1973
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    The Germans traditionally have a crap at Christmas

😯
    Hmmmm…. my dad usually crimps one off after the cheese course and then goes for a kip but he isn’t German

Albanach
    Free Member

What about a really hearty fish pie with crusty white bread. Would love that instead of the roast dinner!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Hmmmm…. my dad usually crimps one off after the cheese course and then goes for a kip but he isn’t German

Not unusual for crap to be followed by kipper, all part of the fish theme

iainc

a really hearty fish pie

WTF my man – are you going soft on us ? 😛

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aye sounds like he’s been coddled

scotabroad

Like TJ’s idea of the large baked fish, could add too that with plenty side dishes of veg, roast tatties etc. Starter of cripsy duck sounds good, and pud could be some home made apple or rhubarb crumble, then some port for the adults, hmmmmmm……

derek_starship
    Free Member

Homemade fish, chips and peas.

Get some nice cod fillets / loins, whip up a batter and cook in a deep fat fryer or chip pan. Serve with big fat chips and mushy peas. Crusty bloomer bread with real butter on the side and salt. vinegar and tartare sauce.

Spot on with some nice ale.

freddyg
    Free Member

I was at the fish counter in Asda* the other day and got talking to a lass who was just having a whole salmon chopped up for her. She had four moderate sized steaks and the remainder (mid fish to the tail end) popped in a foil container with some pre-prepared buttery stuff. She explained that this was her Christmas roast. Dead simple, just put the whole lot in the oven and bake. Apparently delicious. The whole lot cost her about £12 iirc (it was farmed salmon and on offer at the time).

*other supermarkets are available

Albanach
    Free Member

WTF my man – are you going soft on us ?

Cannae beat a good fish pie and that’s the last time I give you help with your windows 😉

BillMC

I’m doing a duckling in cherry sauce plus sweet potato, roast potato, parsnip and brussels for the gf after Xmas morning ride and couple of ales.

BillMC

Oh and Xmas eve, kangaroo with hot walnuts and beetroot.

binners

😀

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

had this last year which went well with all the roast trimmings.

jp-t853

We used to do twice cooked garlic souffles (cooked day before then reheated so easy on the day). Add trimmings etc.

We now do shellfish Christmas Eve evening. Croissant, brioche & fruit breakfast Christmas day with some belini’s and then ….. homemade pizza with a nice red wine on Christmas day lunch. I think I got sick of doing dishes.

We have a very tasty meal and loads of time to spend as a family rather that being tied to the kitchen sink.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Cream of some young guy?

Sorry, couldn’t help myself

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Poor Binners. Because Hora has ponced beer money off him all year, he’s reduced to having cheese on toast for Xmas dinner. 😥

Binners, fear not, for I am sending some biscuits and stuff up for you. 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binners – I will send a bottle of Worcester sauce for your cheese on toast. And a thinly sliced sprout.

Man Hora is a true scoundrel isn’t he?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for alternative Christmas lunches/ Dinners?’ is closed to new replies.