Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • STW drinks in Central London on Wednesday*
  • Karinofnine

*if enough people can make it, otherwise please suggest another day.

I suggest the Shakespeare's Head on Kingsway. On the plus side, it's really close to Holborn tube and within striking distance of all the main rail stations and it's a Wetherspoon so the beer is cheap. On the minus side, there's no cycle parking, and no outside seats, but it has loads of windows so we could lock our bikes to one another's and watch them from inside.

Maybe if it works this time we could do drinks again and find a better venue? Or, has anyone got a better idea?

Raouligan
    Free Member

'Kin hell it's like Fagan's Den, the Ship round the corner at least has good beer, or alternatively if you want cheep the LSE Pub the George the Fourth off of Portugal Street is cheap and pleasant, not a lot of seating in either but it's summer you wouldn't want to be inside in any case.

I knock off at 4.30 so I can get a ride in after work in Epping in the summer, so can't make it!

Or there's the Louisa on High Holborn, cheap and upstairs is quite pleasant, no outside drinking though!

Karinofnine

Ok, sorry, I was going to try for tomorrow (18 August) but today totally got away from me.

Shall we do Wednesday 25 August at The Shakespeare's Head (Kingsway, WC2)? I know it ain't grand but it's easy to find (Central or Piccadilly line to Holborn) and those who ride there can park bikes alongside and watch them out of the windows. There are Sheffield stands outside The Ship nearby, but are often full up.

It gives us all a bit of time to make arrangements. I'll be there from 6pm. I hope some of you can make it.

If it works out, maybe someone else could suggest a better pub for next time?

allthepies
    Free Member

Possibly, although I anticipate next week being manic @ work.

Karinofnine

BUMP

Don't forget next Wednesday 🙂

ononeorange

Will try and get along but won't be until 6.45 earliest

nickf
    Free Member

Would have come, but I've got a work colleague's leaving do that evening.

Will come to the second if the inaugural one's a success

zebardy
    Free Member

Is this still happening? Hoping to make an appearance, should be able to make it for 6.

Karinofnine

Don't forget! The social event of the year! Tomorrow! !!

I'll be there for 5.45 – 6. I'll be wearing a white dress with black flowers on it – or I might get changed into my cycling gear. Either way, I have short white/grey hair, 5'4" and not fat or thin (and I'm a woman).

Karinofnine

See you this evening.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

I can't make it… 🙁 But next week onwards, I'm game…

hora
    Free Member

Eee I remember when we had a STW-meet for drinks. EVERYONE turned up in cycling shirts 😆

pk-ripper
    Free Member

same with our tri drinks – everyone outdoing each other with event t's apart from me turning up in winter stuff as it was cold

hora
    Free Member

Aye, I was in a workshirt and trousers as it was round the corner. It was almost a 'carnation in the collar' for some people with the cycling kit!

Ante did you all drink energy gels and discuss the calories in the diet lemonade that you were all drinkin?

Karinofnine

If no-one has turned up by 6.30 I'll go home – I feel awkward sitting in a pub on my own (like SHE HAS NO FRIENDS :lol:)

If you are going to be later than that I'll wait but can you please let me know – if you email me I'll send you my mobile number.

Thanks

mefty
    Free Member

What attire for STW drinks?

hora
    Free Member

Just walk in angry or sulken

rOcKeTdOg

OI feel discriminated against, London indeed!

Is this another ST singles event?

Anyone going to the German wine festival in B'ham on Saturday?

juan
    Free Member

Move it to the south coast of France and I'll make it 😉

Karinofnine

Fast train from Edinburgh to Kings X – you'll be here in time!

Karinofnine

Fast train from Edinburgh to Kings X – you'll be here in time!

rOcKeTdOg

Edinburgh?

Karinofnine

I thought you were in Scotland (for some reason)

pk-ripper
    Free Member

It's raining

rOcKeTdOg

I was last Tuesday….for one day

ononeorange

Karinofnine – thanks for organising. At least some of us made it! (Must have been the rain….)

rOcKeTdOg

how did it go, did anyone turn up?

ononeorange

3 of us – Karin, Zeberdy (sp?) and me. I don't think we quite took over the pub.

Karinofnine

I enjoyed it, although, because I was nervous, I drank too much – so apologies for that.

Going into pubs by myself makes me nervous and meeting new people does too.

rOcKeTdOg

Drank too much?, did it get messy? 🙂

I'll be at the wine fest in Birmingham on Saturday if anyone's in the area

Karinofnine

Not messy, but I don't know how I managed to ride to Charing X, get on the right train, and ride home from the station.

A good indicator of how drunk I was the night before is the scatter pattern of clothing and effects – there was a fair scatter on Thursday morning, including some things left outside. 😳

rOcKeTdOg

Lol, sounds great, wish I lived nearer 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

including some things left outside

😯

Karin; I'd be more than happy to meet up for future drinks (was in N Wales this week).

I'll rack my brains to think of a good, central pub with outside seating type thing.

Obviously I'm going to think of the Captain Kidd in Wapping, but that's not very central for everyone. I think it's the Old Thameside Inn on Clink St near Lon Bri that has a riverside seating bit, and you could probably drag the bikes round the side. Also the Anchor on Park St a little way up toward the Tat Modern is quite nice. Very busy on a nice day in summer though. As most pubs will be!

Yeah, I'm well up for it. 😀

Karinofnine

Cool. Give it a few weeks and then post it up. Hope it's a nicer evening – I was bloody soaked by the time I got home.

qwerty
    Free Member

hi K – nudge – you talked about guiding a Herts ride and camping a while back, any thoughts? – nudge

went camping to Hertford with family a while back – was fab!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

A few weeks?? 😯

Nah, tonight! Come on love, let's live it up! It's Friday night! 😀

Karinofnine

Hi M, yes I was going to do something at Hertford, but I don't live there at the moment, and, next week I'm going to have my knee operated on and I am not sure how long I'll be off the bike for, or unable to drive for come to that. It'll be worth it in the end tho.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So you coming out with me tonight then? 😉

(Practices dance moves in front of mirror, to Tracey Ullman's 1983 hit 'Breakaway')

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

A good indicator of how drunk I was the night before is the scatter pattern of clothing and effects – there was a fair scatter on Thursday morning, including some things left outside

😕 You started undressing outside ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

*Feels hurt and rejected. Locks self in bedroom. Sobs into pillow…*

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘STW drinks in Central London on Wednesday*’ is closed to new replies.