Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • STW ads and no text appearing when typing a post
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

I know it’s a thorny issue but using a Nexus 7 I’ve noticed of my late that I’m getting more auto play ads and the page seems to never stop loading. Is there a solution for this other than resubscribing?

Also sometimes when I go to write a post text doesn’t appear in response to key presses with the cursor moving forward just one space for each ‘swyped’ word. I can remedy this by inserting a blank hyperlink following which text appears when typed as normal. This also occasionally happens on another forum but never in other apps/websites generally. Any suggestions welcome!

hammyuk
    Free Member

God knows – I’ve had to resort to using the Adblock browser on IOS due to it continually crashing on both Chrome and Safari.
    It’s beyond a joke now.
    Having a “P” doesn’t make it any more stable, extra proper features, etc.
    Perhaps a better use of subscriptions would be to upgrade the software to be able to run a forum properly without constantly dropping, rogue ads, false cookies, inability to “remember me”, remaining logged in, etc.
    Christ – even Pistonheads can manage it with what must be the most outdated layout ever because the “old guard” don’t want it “messed with”.
    It still fercking works and is free, with traffic that makes here look like that spotty teenagers obscure blog about his lack of dates and the best way to pop a zit…..

myti
    Free Member

Also had the blank text I had to exist and reload the website

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrhoppy

Yep, irritating, it allowed me to copy and paste text in but not type.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m getting the non typing typing thing as well. Wife has bought me axP for Christmas but it doesn’t sound like that’s the answer.

The other oddball is that on my android phone, I will often get the speaker icon pop up in the notifications bar for no reason but it seems to contribute to slowing everything down.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’m getting all of the aforementioned issues on chrome on a nexus 7 and 5.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Thanks all, comforting in a doesn’t solve it way to know it’s not just me/my phone.
    Just need Cougar or someone similarly IT clever to post a possible solution.
    Should have said I also get on my current phone, Moto g4 plus, but didn’t ever get it on my old Samsung Galaxy which I stopped using a few months ago so maybe an android version issue?

I’ll postpone getting the P for now but can’t see myself as a pistonhead given I struggle to fettle my bike and drive a Jazz!

DickBarton

I have this as well…the speaker showing on my taskbar thing but no audio. No speaker showing today so far though.
    The lack of text when typing happens on many sites I visit – not just STW – my fix is to go to browser options and request desktop version, let it load and then switch it back – I can then type. I had to do that to respond just now.
    Unsure what causes it but a restart of the device sometimes fixes it and clearing browser cache doesn’t appear to do anything.

zinaru
    Free Member

ive noticed a similar issue using safari on amac pro. actually typing this blind )seriously)

Flaperon

Just need Cougar or someone similarly IT clever to post a possible solution.

Good luck with that. I got my head bitten off by Cougar the last time I dared question the behaviour of STW ads on a phone.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member
    Good luck with that. I got my head bitten off by Cougar the last time I dared question the behaviour of STW ads on a phone.

I’d like to keep my head so to clarify I meant with regards to the invisible text issue – I’m not expecting the ads to disappear!

bearnecessities

Email tech@singletrackworld.com with a screenshot if possible.

Cougar

I don’t remember the incident, but I do know it’s immensely frustrating dealing with the same complaints time and again when there’s absolutely nothing I / we can do about it. Sorry if I was grumpy though. The only people who can resolve technical issues with the site are STW’s technical department. tech@…

From what DB said, this particular issue may be a browser problem. I’d suggest a) confirming what browser you’re using, b) whether it does it on other sites and c) trying a different browser. Oh, and disable auto-play for Chrome plugins.

The logging out thing has been done to death; it affects some people but not others so is some sort of compatibility issue, but neither the STW staff nor the volunteer moderators have ever been able to replicate the issue.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@cougar and bearn.. – cheers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The Ad industry is killing the websites as users like myself found the ads so intrusive we block them all. The Telegraph has started putting up a message saying “please don’t ad block” but by contracting to the intrusive ads they have made their own problem. I am very pragmatic, I understand the sites have to make money somehow but animated pop up ads taking ages to load especially on holder phones / tablets are killing the usability.

Mark

The majority of the ads we serve are served asynchronously, which is technobabble for not getting i the way of the rest of the page loading. The page doesn’t stop and wait for the ad to appear – if an ad glitches up the rest of the page should still load. It should mean that ad networks work harder to make sure they aren’t running technically bad ads since the user will have read the page content and moved on before their dead ad finishes loading.

That’s the theory. Not all our ad positions are async but most are.

screenshots, browser and other useful info to tech@… and we’ll look into it.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@Mark – cheers. I do try to click a few every day!

deepreddave
    Free Member

Email with screenshots sent :).

hammyuk
    Free Member

And there it is again on Chrome on IOS. Crash page along with a warning that a page is trying to open another app store.
    And logged out on chrome and safari on IOS AND on the MacPro too.
    AND the log in is the very, very, very last thing to load on the entire page.

pitduck
    Free Member

lol, nobodys listening ,nothing will be done 😆

Mark

You are quite wrong pitduck.

andy4d

I had the most typing issue, but it was on more than just this site so don’t think it is STW issue.

milky1980
    Free Member

The page doesn’t stop and wait for the ad to appear – if an ad glitches up the rest of the page should still load.

Not from my experience sadly. It’s usually ad.criteo or a redirect to an app store that holds up the page loading for me, across a variety of devices. Probably crashes once or twice a day, no other sites do this.

The other oddball is that on my android phone, I will often get the speaker icon pop up in the notifications bar for no reason but it seems to contribute to slowing everything down.

Had this for a while now too, sometimes causes the phone to crash. Have tried listening to it by clicking on the speaker to see what it is but it just says ‘waiting for singletrackworld.com’ with no sound!

Cougar

Question: Are you all using Swype?

I’ve just had it happen to me, in a non-web app. Also getting issues with the keyboard staying visible on the lock screen.

Is this an issue with Swype (presumably a recent update)? Does anyone get it with other keyboards?

myti
    Free Member

I have swype

scotroutes

Not me. Standard Samsung keyboard.
    It’s very, very occasional. I can fix it just by going back to the home screen and back to the browser.

pitduck
    Free Member

OK SOMEbodys listening ,nothing will be done 😆

hammyuk
    Free Member

IOS and Mac here Cougar – never had Android/Swype.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Swype here. Have changed keyboards though to no avail.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Well today we can now add the right click/back/forward/copy/paste option not working on Chrome on Mac.
    ONLY on STW – every other tab works fine except this one.
    Go out of the page and it works, on the tool bar, tabs, etc and every other tab/page – just not on STW.
    Getting ridiculous now.

scotroutes

Oh. I had the no text thing earlier today (Chrome on Android on Samsung A3). Strangely though, I could still type in commas, full stops and other punctuation marks/special characters. 😕

So far, I’ve only noticed this on STW.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Further email sent as page still loading after 7 minutes.

DickBarton

As mentioned earlier on the thread, I’m experiencing the same thing as scotroutes has just described –

Strangely though, I could still type in commas, full stops and other punctuation marks/special characters.

The only way I’ve been able to fix this is to do my suggestion further up the thread. This is happening on all websites that I’m accessing not just STW.

I’m pretty sure I don’t have Swype installed on my phone (Sony Xperia Z5 Compact) but it does have a swype-esque feature (which I don’t use).

deepreddave
    Free Member

Same problems still but with the added occasional joy of an ‘aw, snap’ page when on mobile.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘STW ads and no text appearing when typing a post’ is closed to new replies.