Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Stunt Scooters….what's hot and what's not?
  • sc-xc

My lad turns 10 next week, and despite having a pretty cool BMX and pair of rollerskates…the only thing he has been talking about for the last few months is a scooter.

Looking around, there seems to be so much choice. If he pools money from Grandparents and us, he will have around £100 – any recommendations?

donks
    Free Member

My lad is exactly the same and I now use the BMX more than he 😀
    I just bought him a Grit Mayhem (off ebay) which is really good, but failing that all the kids seem to go for either Madd gear scooters or Razor. Try to steer away from the fold up ones as they rattle like mad and no one ever folds them anyway. Its been great having the lad as an excuse to hack around in the local skate parks recently.

snakebite
    Free Member

Same here, mine has a nice BMX, Giant XTC JUNIOR, H’es just had a Slamm Rage 2 stunt scooter, looks bomb proof-from Amazon via Kates skates. http://www.skates.co.uk/Kids-Scooters/Slamm-Rage-Ltd-Edition-Union-Jack-Scooter.htm

mastineo
    Free Member

Kid up the street swears by his J D Bug

Zedsdead
    Free Member

JD Bug’s are okay but I’ve seen a couple break. Don’t buy anything that folds – it will break.

The Slam scooters are great.

I bought my son one of these:
    Roces Scooter

Think I paid around £75 so look around.

It’s brilliant! I like it too…

It’s used around the streets, the local concrete outdoor skate park and our local indoor park. Tough as hell, not heavy and great fun.

sc-xc

Just popped into the skate shop and picked him up a Madd Gear Pro. Crazy.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

You’ll/he’ll not go far wrong with that.

Nice one.

passtherizla
    Free Member

work of the devil… Buy him a skateboard. 😉

iDave
    Free Member

This ^

newbold
    Free Member

Scooters are the new skateboards for sure :p

LoCo
    Free Member

Scooters are really easy to ride compared to skateboards, could tailwhip, grind, ollie etc a scotter pretty quickly 😕

newbold
    Free Member

I just like the speed you can get on them! Your right – learning curve for scooters is so easy compared to skateboards. Scooters you have somet to hold onto for a start 😛 everyone loves being able to hold onto something!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I saw a kid “commuting” between two local villages on a scooter the other day, still had about 1.5 miles to go. Bet he wished he’d taken the BMX…

Anyone else remember the 80’s/90’s scooters with 10″ mag wheels, pneumatic tyres and brakes? How long till they come back?

newbold
    Free Member

Tooo cool….

LoCo
    Free Member

and those massive bike sizes scooters, there’s a guy in Cardiff with one 😕

alpin
    Free Member

mate and i used to race those “old skool” scooters down singletrails we later used to ride on.

good fun…!

newbold
    Free Member

Dont quite know if its sociably acceptable to ride those bike size scooters any more – the guy in Cardiff must have some balls! Stick to stunt scooters if any!

My lad turns 10 next week, and despite having a pretty cool BMX and pair of rollerskates…the only thing he has been talking about for the last few months is a scooter.

Looking around, there seems to be so much choice. If he pools money from Grandparents and us, he will have around £100 – any recommendations?Anyways in response to the dude that started this thread we got my little brother a razor pro lo stunt scooter from this site stunt scooters. I told him to stick to his bike but he wouldn’t listen :P. He’s not been of the thing!

cleggolas
    Free Member

I used to have one of those big scooters! They were awesome! My love is for bikes though.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Scooters are the new skateboards for sure

no they are not, they are pathetic and any kid aged over 8 on one looks incredibly stupid.

the reason so many kids use em is laziness; they are too weak, scared and stupid to take the time to learn to skate.

sorry for offending you all, but trust me scooters are a complete waste of time. they cause a shed load of danger in a skatepark, and, well, they are just plain gay!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

and btw, even my 8 year old laughs at any kid on a scooter. but then he skates indys like a man should!

good grief, with folk on here claiming scooters are cool the next thing will be people rating boardmans.

TiRed

the reason so many kids use em is laziness; they are too weak, scared and stupid to take the time to learn to skate.

And the reason that kids don’t ride waveboards is laziness; they are too weak, scared…

Ripstiks are great, but there is a learning curve.

EDIT: Oh and we have a JD Bug that looks pretty sturdy and takes the abuse. Not cheap at £100. But well made.

stanfree
    Free Member

My son has got a Mongoose BMX he got for his birthday and a Ridgeback MX24 for Xmas and Is now doing chores to save up for a scooter. I think the reason is they are dead easy to use and far less scary dropping into a bowl than on a bike or board. Also £70 for a scooter compared to £200 for a BMX Is a lot easier on the parents pockets. Some of the kids at Transgression In Edinburgh are pretty amazing on them .

sturmey
    Free Member

My lads 10 and rides a district deck with swish forks and 81 customs pro bars. Adds up to quite a bit in the end with clamp and wheels also don’t forget headset but they are just MTB ones with a mark up cos they are for scooters. The new decks are intergated headsets apparently it’s new 😆

sturmey
    Free Member

Gav so walking past the skate park and ending up with a board wrapped round my ankles cos some kid falls off and the board flies like a missile at me. Also seen a young kid get hit in the head by a board at the works in Leeds when a guy who looked pretty proficient came off and launched his board out of the half pipe. 30 years ago people laughed at us mtbers riding oversized bmxs cos we couldn’t ride bmx.

mgpslam
    Free Member

if he is begining get him a slam rage or something when he gets a bit better get an mgp

DaveP

My sons had Gritt Elite 2 for Christmas. One of them has snapped the bars, it would seem they only offer 90 day warranty. Waiting to hear from the distributor what they can do.

yunki
    Free Member

a pestilence that is causing problems at skateparks the length and breadth of the country..

get him a potent STD instead.. it will be more socially and morally acceptable..

bwaarp
    Free Member

Skateboards are easier to pack up, hide in school bags, bmx’s are better for getting around. Scooters aren’t even that great for hitting people with unlike a skateboard or bmx.

Oh the memories. Get attacked by chavs on a bmx = pick up bmx and smack them over the head with the side that had pegs on.

Do those guys think they are cool with those tiny scooters between their legs lol?

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’ve seen snakeboards, ripsticks, ‘aggressive’ inline skates and countless other fads come and go…do him a favour and get him a skateboard.

Skateboarding never goes away, it outlasts everything. Sure, sometimes it goes underground for a while before hitting a wave of popularity again, but it’ll be around long after the stunt scooter goes the way of Scatch, Global Hypercolour t-shirts and the Betamax.

avdave2

Middle aged overweight dull men rant at whatever kids like shocker! 🙂

sc-xc

Jesus. Get a grip.

He’s had a scooter (months ago if you look at the thread). Like all of his mates.

I suspect that the hordes of kids don’t really care if old people think that skateboarding is cooler – it’s certainly not as popular as scooters. He hangs around with other 10/11/12 year olds, who all think skateboarding is crap.

I will be sure to ask him and his mates not to enjoy themselves at the skateparks.

EDIT: what Avdave said.

yunki
    Free Member

read and learn doubters.. read and learn

Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson
    Can we scoot?
    Like · · Follow post · 11 April at 21:01 near Lympstone, United Kingdom
    Jack Jaffar Manning likes this.
    Luan Mcdonald no scooter jam! scooters are not made for skateparks
    11 April at 21:01 · Like · 20
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson I’m still gunna come down on one,not on the opening,but one different days!
    11 April at 21:03 via Mobile · Like
    Daniel San Routledge **** scooters
    11 April at 21:05 via Mobile · Like · 12
    Luan Mcdonald you lot are snakes just always in the way. you dont even look where your going you look on the ground
    11 April at 21:07 · Like · 3
    Emma Saunders Rollerblades?
    11 April at 21:09 via Mobile · Like · 2
    Luan Mcdonald yes! roller blades are awesome!! especially when Daniel Son Routledge is wacking out backflip to fakies;)
    11 April at 21:10 · Like · 3
    Marticus Chung NO scooters are gay
    11 April at 21:15 · Like · 1
    Mix Masta Mullet no scooters on this day im afraid
    11 April at 21:36 · Like · 5
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Naa mix master,I’m still gunna come down,not on my scooter,but on other days I’m gunna bring it down!
    11 April at 21:41 via Mobile · Like
    Marticus Chung uurrrrrr no you will just be moed down then my bikes scooters are gay
    11 April at 21:42 · Like
    Marticus Chung ?*by
    11 April at 21:42 · Like
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Yeah,but,I’m not a little kid,I know where to be to stay out of trouble!
    11 April at 21:44 via Mobile · Like
    Marticus Chung ye not in the park better yet at home
    11 April at 21:45 · Like · 1
    Will Wallace **** scooters get a bike you pussy!
    11 April at 22:27 · Like · 1
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Will wallace,I have a bike,I can’t ride it,well I can,but I can’t do **** all on it,I chose to ride a scooter because I knew it looked pretty simple,and,I’m not very good on a scooter,that’s why I need skateparks to get better,so I’m not a pussy,I just can’t ride a bike as good as anyone else!
    11 April at 22:48 via Mobile · Like
    Jack Renton Pretty sure scooters are banned in the new park…
    11 April at 22:57 via Mobile · Like · 1
    Steven Boltrukiewicz Hahha leave your scoot-e at home!
    12 April at 11:02 via Mobile · Like
    Sam Hawk Skins NO!!!! Scooters are b.e.n.t
    12 April at 13:51 via Mobile · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet sam, why dont you dedicate some time to riding a bmx, or a skate board, so you get better and learn to enjoy it? no one gets good overnight, you have to keep at it. youll find youre much less likely to be laughed at for not being that good on a bmx or skateboard as you are for riding a scooter. the fact is scooters arent a proper ‘extreme sport’, theyre for kids, and should never really have ever been let into skate parks in the first place. kids on scooters dont know the etiquette of using a skate park, they get in peoples way and cause arguments, which isnt what skateparks are about.
    if youre over 12 years old its best you start dedicating time to bmx or skating, and ditch the scooter 🙂
    12 April at 14:01 · Like · 5
    Matt Carter u can only scoot if u baccy toot first
    12 April at 14:11 · Like · 4
    Danny Sharp im bringing my scootey
    12 April at 14:27 · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet baccy toot with an empty biro as a tube. then maybe we can talk scoot.
    12 April at 14:41 · Like · 2
    Danny Sharp ooohhhh sounds lovely….baccy toooteeaaayy
    12 April at 14:49 · Like
    Matt Carter haha oh mate
    12 April at 14:50 · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet a baccy toot sets you up for a whaacky scoot
    12 April at 14:51 · Like · 1
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Mix masta mullet,I agree,but at the moment,I can’t afford a board,or a bike,so I rather get better at riding scooters,than buying a bike or a board and not being able to get on with them,I would love to know how to skate,but atm I can’t find anywhere to get a cheap board 🙂
    12 April at 15:43 via Mobile · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet im sure if you ask about you could buy one 2nd hand 🙂
    you have to understand that abuse for scootering isnt personal, its just the whole skate park scene has been ruined by the sheer amount of kids on scooters these days. skaters and riders are going to be annoyed, understandably.
    12 April at 15:45 · Like · 1
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Yeah,and I agree,but,if I do end up getting a board,then,I suspect that I myself would still end up getting abuse for skateboarding,because I used to ride scooters,so that would automatically make me rubbish 😉
    12 April at 15:49 via Mobile · Like
    Princess-Pudding Pop baccy toots mate!! like **** wiv condom on,,u got the intensce rush of pleasure at first but after a while u think im not really feeling anything,,take of ya condom and buy some weed!!! thas my moto
    12 April at 15:51 · Like · 1
    Princess-Pudding Pop sam dont giv up , a scooter is just a cross btween a bike and a skate bored!!, forgive these ppl ,they just fear wat they dont understand,,years ago mixed race ppl were hated more than any race of colour or creed they were called freaks and made out casts of society much like the modern day scooterist,,but now those so called half breeds are deemed some of the most beautifull and tallented and well loved ppl in the world,,when white cross’s wiv black or the skate bored cross’s wiv bike the narrow minded will spread fear to make thers justified,,in time we will look on the prejidice of scooterists wiv the same disgust we look at those ppl that beleave in segrgation and scorn a multicultural society,,,so please dont give up!! u cud b a hero,,,just like rosa parks sed “no i will not sit at the back of the bus becus of the colour of my skin”!! i want u to say “yes i will bring my scooter to the park and be the person i was born to be!!!”,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,say it wiv pride,,,I AM A SCOOTER’EEEERR!!!!
    12 April at 16:09 · Like · 4
    Mix Masta Mullet maybe youre right sam, but these things blow over. the sooner you ditch the scooter the sooner youll be on the path to awesomeness
    12 April at 16:12 · Like
    Princess-Pudding Pop yea sam,, mullet will then help u fill out ur aplication form for the BNP!!
    12 April at 16:15 · Like
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson The bnp?
    12 April at 16:18 via Mobile · Like
    Emma Saunders Wow, you actualy just compared scooters to racism? Hardly the same is it?
    12 April at 16:19 via Mobile · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet haha only you could personify scooter kids using ethnic minorities and their strife in the 1950s in an attempt to shame us for trying to sway a young man into embarking on the next stage of his youth, rick.
    12 April at 16:19 · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet sam and emma, read it again, this time as a bit of fun
    12 April at 16:20 · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet think sarcasm and irony
    12 April at 16:21 · Like
    Princess-Pudding Pop of course its not the bleedy same emma,,,i dont care about scooters lol,,im bored!! mullets rite scooters are horrible litttle anoynces that just make it harder to hear n see chavs coming,,the only ppl that shud like scooters are inline bladers cus it took the heat off of fruit booting
    12 April at 16:24 · Like · 1
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson I get it now mix masta 🙂
    12 April at 16:28 via Mobile · Like
    Fives Litre baccy froot
    12 April at 16:28 · Like
    Princess-Pudding Pop even tho i hate inline blading in meny ways its simalur to the struggel of equal rights for women
    12 April at 16:29 · Like
    Mix Masta Mullet hahaha ive often drawn such similarities myself
    12 April at 16:32 · Like
    Jack Jaffar Manning i think the most annoying thing about scooters is little kids that dont look where there going, but other scooter riders that are half decent are not snakes…
    13 April at 21:39 · Like
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson I’m getting a board soon!
    13 April at 22:22 via Mobile · Like
    Jack Jaffar Manning just do watever you wanna do, dont let anyone else tell you wat you can or cant do
    13 April at 23:22 · Like
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Jack Jaffar Manning,I am,but I can’t ride my scooter where I’m just gunna get abuse,so I’m getting a board because I want to dedicate some time to learning something new,it’ll be a good experience!
    13 April at 23:32 via Mobile · Like
    Jack Jaffar Manning fair does mate…
    13 April at 23:41 · Like
    Liam ? Liddell likee jack said its only the little shits who snake..
    13 April at 23:45 · Like
    Sam JuicySteak Cuthbertson Whens the jam?
    14 April at 00:06 via Mobile · Like

yunki
    Free Member

is no-one going to appreciate all the hard work that went into cutting and pasting that conversation…?

I despair..

Princess-Pudding Pop is wasted on you old geezers.. 😐

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Stunt Scooters….what's hot and what's not?’ is closed to new replies.