Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Straps for Thule (or any really) tow bar rack?
  • munkster
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these (it’s great)…

…however I’ve steadily managed to lose the straps one-by-one generally through idiocy and schoolboy errors.

Can anyone recommend where to get replacement straps? Everything I seem to find on the web is about £4-5 per strap which just seems pricey. Anyone got any suggestions? The red ones on sale in Halfrauds are very long, tried those, not ideal…

Thanks in advance.

bruneep

Called Thule? Contact us
    Have been known to send out stuff FOC if you donate to their chosen charity

munkster
    Free Member

For replacement keys, spare parts and technical support please contact your local dealer.

“Find a dealer” link is a 404…

Handy! 😉

Nick

halfords do some red ones that work well although you have to be careful as the buckles don’t have anything to stop them rubbing on paintwork like the thule ones do

I know this because my straps were stolen along with bike, to be honest the thule ones are crap anyway and don’t last all that long

bruneep

call them direct…. that’s what it did got a replacement part direct from them.

munkster
    Free Member

Nick – yep I have a couple of those red ones as per my OP – just find them too long really – and not cheap(!*) – if it has to be them then fine but just asking.

Bruneep I will probably give them a call – I’ve only just lost a sufficient number of the things for it to be truly problematic and can’t call today and wanted to plunder the huge collective wisdumb of STWers in case there is a superior solution…

Thanks both for suggestions though, appreciate it. I am hankering after the pricier Thule rack TBH which may make this issue a moot point 😉

*and yes I am aware of the irony of bleating about paying a little more for items that will protect hundreds of pounds worth of prized possession before anyone lets me know about it 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

we just use mt christophe toe straps ….. never had an issue

qwerty
    Free Member

these guys in Potters Bar (J24 of M25) do Pendle straps for a pound and a bit each:

http://www.gttowing.co.uk

carrige is £8 though

WTF
    Free Member

Halfords will have the catalogue for all available Thule spares and will order in whatever you require.
    No carriage iirc.

diggers
    Free Member

got mine from here

munkster
    Free Member

diggers those look great – still *very* long though but haven’t done an exhaustive search on the site – thanks all for the suggestions…

trail_rat
    Free Member

why not cut then melt the ends to make em shorter than ?

Nick

why not cut then melt the ends to make em shorter than ?

yeah that’s what I did (sorry op didn’t read your post very well)

munkster
    Free Member

Nah it’s fine – you know what, it hadn’t even *occurred* to me to cut them!! But then having to stop the end from fraying might be relatvely tiresome.

As it happens I’ve bought a few of the “Fasty” ones from “The Roof Box Company” – £1.50 each – 38cm long so I’m not paying for extra length. Missus.

cheers again all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

But then having to stop the end from fraying might be relatvely tiresome.

just singe the ends with a lighter

hot_fiat

Aldi have a selection of ratched, bungee and cam-operated straps for about a fiver at the mo

munkster
    Free Member

just singe the ends with a lighter

I know, tis done now anyway. Longer straps are pricier anyway so I might as well buy the right ones first…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Straps for Thule (or any really) tow bar rack?’ is closed to new replies.